NY non-resident hunting license

Two questions.

If I apply for a non-resident hunting license (long gun only) in upstate NY (Greene or Albany counties) will they want anything other than my hunter safety certificate? Will they want to see my MA permit?

On one of the holiday weekends we are driving from Boston to Albany to Long Island and probably the ferry back to MA. Is it a problem to have a trigger locked unloaded rifle (not a EBR either), and no ammo in the car with us?

I know handguns are forbidden in NYS/NYC but long guns are okay in NYS.
How about a non-resident passing thru NYC with a long gun?

Thanks,
Bill

Two questions.

If I apply for a non-resident hunting license (long gun only) in upstate NY (Greene or Albany counties) will they want anything other than my hunter safety certificate? Will they want to see my MA permit?

On one of the holiday weekends we are driving from Boston to Albany to Long Island and probably the ferry back to MA. Is it a problem to have a trigger locked unloaded rifle (not a EBR either), and no ammo in the car with us?

I know handguns are forbidden in NYS/NYC but long guns are okay in NYS.
How about a non-resident passing thru NYC with a long gun?

Thanks,
Bill

FOPA (Federal law) says even handguns going through NYC with no lengthy stops is OK, NYC says nothing is OK. Want to be the test case?
That said, I drive from the north through NYC to LI all of the time and I have never been stopped, nor been searched. I don't take anything with me either but the likelihood of getting stopped is low.

BTW: NY State does not require an FID like license for long guns and long guns on you would not be a big deal state wise. The issue is NYC and only NYC. You could drive down to Bridgeport and take that ferry to Port Jeff (say hi to my parents [smile]) and then take the orient point ferry to groton in CT on the way back up to MA.

Last edited:
NYC transit with long guns

You will be fine, so long as you don't linger in the People's Republic for more than 24 hours. From the NYC Admin Code § 10-305. Exemptions (found on the NYSRPA webpage at http://www.nysrpa.org/files/nyc-admincode.pdf

§ 10-305. Exemptions

The sections requiring rifle and shotgun permits and certificates and prohibiting the possession or disposition of assault weapons shall not apply as follows:

[SNIP]

i. (1) Non-residents in transit. Any other provision of this chapter to the contrary notwithstanding, a non-resident of the city of New York who, without a rifle and shotgun permit issued hereunder, enters the city of New York possessing a rifle or shotgun in the course of transit to a destination outside the city of New York, or a non-resident of the city of New York who enters the city of New York possessing an assault weapon in the course of transit to a destination outside the city of New York, shall have a period of twenty-four hours subsequent to such entering to be exempt from penalty under this chapter for the unlawful possession of a rifle, shotgun or assault weapon, provided that such rifle, shotgun or assault weapon shall at all times be unloaded and in a locked case, or locked automobile trunk, and that said non-resident is lawfully in possession of said rifle, shotgun or assault weapon according to the laws of his or her place of residence.​

Travel safely.

FOPA (Federal law) says even handguns going through NYC with no lengthy stops is OK, NYC says nothing is OK. Want to be the test case?

FYI - NYC lost a FOPA case against a NYC premises - residence pistol licensee in early 2007 - see http://www.nysrpa.org/files/beach_v_kelly.pdf ON EDIT: This decision was overturned in June 2008...see my post here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=788308&postcount=17

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom