NRAvalidate.org vs. NRAHQ.org for renewals

I received a piece of direct mail about my upcoming NRA membership renewal. It directs me to nravalidate.org for some discounts on my renewal, including a Life membership @ $500 (a $500 discount).

Being the suspicious type, I wondered if anyone has used this site before. It came with all sorts of official NRA looking stuff, gives some free NRA stuff for the renewal and knew all about me when I put my NRA number in. I am thinking I shouldn't be so paranoid but it just spooks me to see one way of renewing through this NRAvalidate.org site and another non-discounted renewal through the official website (that only gives a hat).

Finally, are there any other promo membership renewal sites out there? I got my first NRA membership via a subscription to Guns magazines, which I have quite enjoyed, but that was for new NRA members only as I recall.

http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XI020318 is a slightly corrected URL for the $25 annual renewal from Maine CWP (the ending '=' in the URL made it fall back to the $35 standard renewal)

Thanks to everyone else for the help. I did find the URL posted elsewhere and it seems OK... it is just that everything is worded around "renewing your NRA insurance benefits".

http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIs.aspx?domain=nravalidate.org&prog_id=godaddy

Registrant:
National Rifle Association of America

11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: NRAVALIDATE.ORG
Created on: 27-Jul-06
Expires on: 27-Jul-11
Last Updated on: 09-Jun-09

Administrative Contact:
Hayes, Tony [email protected]
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
United States

Technical Contact:
Hayes, Tony [email protected]
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
United States

Domain servers in listed order:
NS03.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS04.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Registry Status: CLIENT DELETE PROHIBITED
Registry Status: CLIENT RENEW PROHIBITED
Registry Status: CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
Registry Status: CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED

It's legit. I'm a life member, but once a year I get a snail mail package or an email asking me to go to that site to "validate" my membership. I guess they do it for several reasons:

1) It lets them try to get you to upgrade whatever level of membership you're at
2) It lets them verify you're still alive so they don't keep wasting postage on magazines and other mailings
3) It lets them keep your 'free' insurance programs in effect
4) It lets them try to sell you additional insurance, etc.

I just decline participation in all the offers and just click through until I get to the final screen saying thank you for vaildating. Doesn't take more than a minute or two. I've validated several times and never got anything I didn't ask for. It's an annoyance, but a minor one.

Back
Top Bottom