• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA / GOAL membership

So, in preparation of joinging a club I joined the NRA on-line the other day. After filling out all the fields and hitting submit, I get a "Thank you for Joining, your application will be processed in the next 2-4 weeks", or something to that effect, I forget the exact words. Is this normal? I was kind of expecting it to be a little quicker than that since I did it over the internet. I kind of thought I'd get a link or something that I could log on with to get a member number or something I could put on a form for a range membership. Does GOAL work this way too?

they'll send you crap. and keep sending it. and keep sending it. and then ask for money. and then keep asking.

GOAL is better, give your money to them and to comm2A, not the NRA.

cue NRA apologists... NOW!

Despite what atilla says you can get rid of the stuff the NRA sends you in one of two ways. You can ask them not to send you anything...or you can simply re-cycle with other paperwork.

As far as the time it takes them to process your request, that is probably close to what any bif organization would take.

But, you do what you feel is best, not what someone tells you on the internet.

Unfortunately, some clubs require NRA membership in order to join (some kind of insurance thing I think...).

I am so tired of hearing "The NRA sends me all kinds of junk mail and stuff".
Contact them and ask that they only send you your magazine and renewal paperwork.
Tell them to just not send a the spam / junk mail.
smitty

I joined NRA as opposed to GOAL, only because I figured it would be more "instantaneous", but I guess I chose wrong. Plus I get a duffel bag I can use as a range bag for a while for joining. Sounds stupid, but getting into this hobby is expensive, so anything I can get for free is great. I'll probably join GOAL as well eventually. I just payed for my green membership here as well. How does that work, does my profile just change on it's own, or do I need to do something?

UPDATE: I just noticed I'm already showing up as a member!

So, in preparation of joinging a club I joined the NRA on-line the other day. After filling out all the fields and hitting submit, I get a "Thank you for Joining, your application will be processed in the next 2-4 weeks", or something to that effect, I forget the exact words. Is this normal? I was kind of expecting it to be a little quicker than that since I did it over the internet. I kind of thought I'd get a link or something that I could log on with to get a member number or something I could put on a form for a range membership. Does GOAL work this way too?

Never mind. Irrelevant now.

I quit the NRA when they defeated constitutional carry in NH. They're nothing but a politically motivated anti-2A pro-hunting/sporting organization, and they'll never get another dime from me.

They still send me loads of crap in the mail. I wonder how much it costs them to do this.

Tara,

Is joining GOAL on-line any quicker than the NRA? I planned on joining both eventually, but I'll join GOAL now if it means I can get into a club quicker.

Tara,

Is joining GOAL on-line any quicker than the NRA? I planned on joining both eventually, but I'll join GOAL now if it means I can get into a club quicker.

If you were to sign up online, it typically takes a day or 2 for me to get all the new members entered. Once you are entered into our system by me, you are assigned a member number. Cards are printed on Mondays and typically go out on Tuesdays. If you need the number sooner, you could either call or email me after a few days and I can provide you with your member number. But it's not automatic. All you're doing when you sign up online is providing me with your information so I can charge the card and create a profile. It certainly doesn't take 6 weeks though.

If you call them they will give you your membership number to put on your range application. You can use the number to log into the NRA members website and print out your membership details as well. They will of course ask you for more money when you call though.

Ok, thanks Tara. I think I'll be joining later in the week.

I'm not going to bother calling for a member number yet, It's not that big of a deal. I just figured it would be quicker than 4-6 weeks!

Print out the receipt and bring it to the club. Harvard allows you to pay for your NRA membership the same day you become a member. None of this should slow you down.

If you have a choice with your club select GOAL. They are local and work locally for your rights. They probably won't take 2-4 weeks but clubs only meet once a month (usually) so it shouldn't be a big deal. Join GOAL and attach a copy of your GOAL receipt to the application. Done!

Ok ok guys, you made your point, I made the wrong decision. I'm new at this, please forgive me! [grin] I am going to join GOAL and correct my mistake! That's why I come here, you guys are such a great source for good information!

Ok ok guys, you made your point, I made the wrong decision. I'm new at this, please forgive me! [grin] I am going to join GOAL and correct my mistake! That's why I come here, you guys are such a great source for good information!

Don't sweat it. Your heart and wallet were in the right place. [laugh] If you're a MA inmate, GOAL and COMM2A will probably give you more bang for your buck. Basically, GOAL handles the legislative end and COMM2A handles legal challenges.

That old saying about "charity begins at home" is true, especially if your home is the PRM.

Back
Top Bottom