• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA Basic Rifle Class or Similar ?

CMF

I would like to take an NRA Basic Rifle class, or something similar, reasonably close to Boston, but I can't find any scheduled. I could go to the Sig Sauer Academy for their Rifle/Carbine Orientation, but it is somewhat expensive and a long way away.

Does anyone know where I can find a suitable class ?

It's not quite exactly what you want, but a bunch of clubs run CMP clinics that start you with zero knowledge and end with you shooting a service rifle in (more or less) an across-the-course match. (Slow and rapid fire from standing, sitting, and prone.) You'll learn all the basic safety stuff, position shooting, sling use, and marksmanship fundamentals. It's a very full, and fun, day.

If that's within your definition of "something similar" , the Cape Ann club is running one this Sunday:
http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/matchInfo.cgi?matchID=4242

Cape Ann runs them monthly through the warmer months, while other clubs usually do just one in the spring.

"Not a member, just a satisfied customer."

Thanks, DavidK and amb.

The CMP clinic sounds good. Do you think those classes would be likely to have loaner rifles?

Thanks, DavidK and amb.

The CMP clinic sounds good. Do you think those classes would be likely to have loaner rifles?

A CMP clinic, definitely. (Everything included, including rifle and ammo.) Either an M1 Garand or an AR-15, though letting them know in advance is good.

The CMP clinic sounds like what I am looking for. I will check them out. Thanks, all!

Update:

I went to the CMP Clinic at Cape Ann on Sunday and it was excellent, just what I was looking for. Thank you for the great advice, all.

(This thread could be closed).

Back
Top Bottom