• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA Basic Pistol Student Packet Availability

robmcd

Instructor
Some of you Instructors may have noticed that NRA Program Materials currently shows Basic Pistol student packets as out of stock. I'm guessing that there was a run on materials after NRA Training sent the update suggesting that Instructors order enough materials to last until the Blended Learning cutover on April 1st. FYI, I was told yesterday that 30,000 student packets are due in from the printer to satisfy requirements during the 1st quarter of 2016. When they show in inventory, I suggest that Instructors order enough to cover their scheduled courses. Unfortunately the Blended Learning cutover is scheduled during a huge increase in course activity.

That's great info, thank You
I was sweating it out because the packets are not even showing as a selection right now, the April 1st date is great too because that's the first time I actually heard a date other than the first quarter.

Thanks again

That's great info, thank You
I was sweating it out because the packets are not even showing as a selection right now, the April 1st date is great too because that's the first time I actually heard a date other than the first quarter.

Thanks again

You will be able to use the the current curriculum, student packets and course reporting method until the end of March. After that, only the blended learning format may be used. During the 1st quarter either format may be used. That gives us 90 days to adapt to the Instructor Lead Training (ILT) curriculum. More info is coming very soon. The ILT curriculum was supposed to be posted on nrainstructors.org yesterday (requires log-in).

What is the blended learning format?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blended Learning is the new format in which the NRA Basic Pistol Course is conducted. Students register and take an on-line e-learning course with the NRA. Upon completion they finish the practical exercises and range qualification with an instructor.

Below is from NRA Published Source" http://trainingupdate.nra.org/#3837

We plan to roll out the new blended pistol course before the end of the year, and completely replace the pistol course as it is now conducted by the end of the first quarter of 2016. This means that the current packets and certificates will become obsolete, so we want to make sure you consider that when placing your orders.

NRA Pistol Instructors will be provided with a new Instructor Led Training (ILT) lesson plan, which will be downloadable right on your NRAInstructors.org account page. Basic pistol students will come to your course with a solid foundation, which they learned in the e-learning module. The ILT portion of the course will consist of a firearm and range safety review, fundamentals, practical handling exercises using each action type with dummy ammunition, shooting positions, and shooting to a standard with a qualification shoot requirement. Once you are satisfied that the students have fulfilled each learning objective, you can check them as passed and print their certificates through NRAInstructors.org.

We anticipate reaching more people than ever before. There will be two ways for students to find your course – the way they currently do, where you advertise on nrainstructors.org, or they will be directed to your courses if they found out about the NRA Basic Pistol Course from another source. We will provide more information as it develops.

Blended Learning FAQ
Will the way instructors schedule courses change when blended learning is introduced?
The scheduling of your course will be done in two ways: establishing a date when the instructor-led portion would take place or on demand when students have completed the eLearning section. If you establish a date when the instructor-led would be given, inform your students that they would not be able to complete the instructor-led portion until they have successfully completed the eLearning portion.
Do I schedule a class, have folks sign up and then I tell them they will have to complete eLearning instruction by that deadline?
Yes. The students will now have flexibility to complete the eLearning portion of the course based on their schedule, but still need to be cognizant of the instructor’s deadlines and completing in advance of the instructor-led portion.
What about students who do not have computers or internet access? Some older students might not have computers.
Access to computers is widely available at public libraries in both rural and urban centers all over the country. Also suggest gaining access to a computer from a family member or friend. The eLearning portion of the course will also be available using a mobile device like a smartphone or a tablet. If they still are unable to locate a computer, smartphone, or tablet, the instructor could secure access to one of these devices for them.
Can eLearning be done as a group in a classroom setting?
It can. This would require the instructor to provide the equipment necessary for each student to complete the eLearning portion.
Will this be just watch a video online via computer?
No. This is a learning management system that integrates the course content with interactive applications, lecture, animation, and review questions. Then culminating with a final examination. The learning management system tracks the students process in the course, records their missed answers in the exam, provides materials for review questions missed, and provides the instructor with information about the student before the instructor led portion of the course.
Will there be eLearning portions for instructor training as well?
Yes. The next course to be added to the blended learned curriculum is Basic Instructor Training. The content for this online course will only cover the material, focusing on training techniques, how to manage your classroom, budget and training teams.
Are you putting out a revised Training Counselor guide that will include info about the process of “blended learning”?
Yes. Those materials will be developed once the entire blended learning course is complete.
Will the blended learning course be like the current Range Safety Officer course?
No. This course is completely different. While the Range Safety Officer is all online, the blended basic courses have eLearning and instructor led portions.
My state doesn't recognize online classes for concealed carry permits. What do I do?
This is NOT an online course, it is a blended learning course. Most states use the technique for delivering Hunter Education and Drivers Education. A live instructor is not required to show students the best ways to carry a firearm while hunting or to establishing the distance a car traveling at 60 mph requires to stop. A live instructor is not required to show students the basic parts of a firearm. With blended learning a live instructor will ALWAYS have the final say as to when a student passes the basic course.

So, does the student pay the NRA online when the take that portion of the course? Or the instructor later on? Or both separately?

I guess I should just wait and see...

Interesting to see if MA will still accept the new blended course. Might not be on their radar yet.

We (instructors) don't even know what this will actually look like yet, and MSP is reactive not proactive, so I'm sure that it isn't on their radar yet. Even if they don't decertify it, I'm not sure that some chiefs will refuse to accept the certs like some chiefs currently don't accept hunter ed certs even though it is specifically called out as acceptable in MGL.

So, does the student pay the NRA online when the take that portion of the course? Or the instructor later on? Or both separately?

I guess I should just wait and see...

NRA does NOTHING without them collecting money for it. You will be paying both and I expect that the total will likely be more than the current cost from most instructors.

We'll all have to wait and see how this all shakes out.

Does anyone know if and when they will release the Access to Phase I: Basics of Pistol Shooting e-learning to the current Pistol Instructors?

From the looks of the lesson plans the Phase II runs about 5 hours and 30 minutes.

After looking at phase 2, my guess is they will only be addressing lesson 1 & 2 from the basic Pistol curriculum.
We still review the majority of the course, doesn't really make sense but I guess we will have to see how this plays out

Interesting to see if MA will still accept the new blended course. Might not be on their radar yet.
If the course carries the same title, there will probably be no change from the MA perspective.

It is interesting that MA requires coverage of law, but approves courses that do not have any law component (with the understanding that instructors will add that)
What a stupid concept.
It brings the NRA into the loop and assures they get their cut.

What a stupid concept.

The benefit to students is that instructors can't skip main content anymore with Mickey Mouse power-points or other sub-par presentations. There is a uniform quality of course material that each student will now hopefully read prior to getting the hands on in class bit with a live instructor.

Is it primarily a money grab? Yes
Does it help students if their instructor sucks and would otherwise leave out important information or run a diploma mill? Yes
Does it help with overall safety if people are taught and tested online and in class to help overcome any deficiencies in instruction? Probably yes

Last edited:
Considering that they want us to spend 5.5 hrs with the student and IIRC 3.5 hrs of class time AFTER the online stuff, plus do the MA add-on legal stuff, I can see the following outcomes:

- students pissed to pay more than they had to before due to NRA cut (rumored to be $50). [I still have to rent a classroom as do most instructors, so I can't foresee any price drops to the student.]
- plenty of opportunity for instructors to cut corners on their 5.5 hrs!

The benefit to students is that instructors can't skip main content anymore with Mickey Mouse power-points or other sub-par presentations. There is a uniform quality of course material that each student will now hopefully read prior to getting the hands on in class bit with a live instructor.

That's for the market to decide. There are enough online message boards and forums where people can display their thoughts in regards to poor service.
The NRA with training should really look at their own short comings before pointing their fingers at instructors, who many are legit and put their own time over $$$ to make sure students
get good information.

Have you looked at their course booklet? It looks like it was printed in 1960 and the information is dated and quite frankly dangerous.

I teach either NRA Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety and Home Firearm Safety with added live fire training with an addition fee. I state that the live fire portion of HFS is not part of the NRA course. Most people that want live fire choose NRA HFS + live fire over Basic Pistol. Less time, less cost and I have them shoot more, and more calibers, than Basic calls for. The goal should be to get new shooters on the road to safe firearm ownership.

Back
Top Bottom