NRA alleges financial difficulties in New York lawsuit.

I get a couple dozen e-mails a week and several letter from the NRA. So tell me, when is the NRA not having financial difficulties ?

This, their constant crying wolf bullshit is not going to help them in this matter, even if it is legitimate.

-Mike

Really you guys are sending them money? Look at their IRS form 990 on guidestar.org and then reconsider

Wayne Lapierres salary is $1.3 million per year
Chris Cox over $800,000

Numerous directors getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per year . .... they’re supposed to be a non profit. No thanks, I’ll keep my checkbook closed. Way to many people are making far to much money on this.
This is leftist style-class warfare rhetoric. Get people into a circular firing squad by complaining about how people are making too much money. Divide and conquer. No thanks.

If you look at it statistically, the NRA's executive comp levels are about in line with what you'd expect. Running an organization with $300-400 million in annual revenue is extraordinarily complex. Whether the particular people in charge are earning it, well, that's another matter. But if they suck, they shouldn't have their salaries cut, they should just be replaced.

First - saw a Youtube blurb from TYT on this. They were SALIVATING. But are they REALLY irreparably harmed? Nahbrah. Just a good tactic in court. The NRA is financially AOK.

Really you guys are sending them money? Look at their IRS form 990 on guidestar.org and then reconsider

Chris Cox over $800,000

Numerous directors getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per year . .... they’re supposed to be a non profit. No thanks, I’ll keep my checkbook closed. Way to many people are making far to much money on this.

I’m not saying they should work for free but these people are way over paid compared to other non profits. The salaries need to come way down.

Nah. We should get some $18/hr floor-sweeper to run the NRA. Save us pennies-per-member in revenue.

Personally, I think Wayne LaPierre is one of the creepiest dudes I've ever seen. But the man GETS STUFF DONE. He opens doors in DC that I'm not sure would be open otherwise. For a 20c cost on every member every year, seems like a good trade.

Of course, you all buy Taurus and Charter Arms guns, because it's about paying the least for something that goes bang, right??? You wouldn't buy a Glock, or, perish the though, something as quality as an H&K ever, right? That's just as stupid.

You are the same people that think there should be a federal law limiting executive pay as well, I'm sure. Ugh.

Wayne runs a firm that's got $336 MILLION in sales. A third of a BILLION dollars in revenue annually. I'm not seeing a huge disparity between LaPierre's salary and what he'd make as an effective CEO in the private sector.

Chris Cox over $800,000

You clearly don't understand how non profits work. Many non profits have directors that are paid huge salaries.

and the annual complaints about NRA fundraising:

Call the 800 number with your NRA number. Talk to a nice person and tell them not to mail you anything, no free backpacks, no cancer insurance, no crap. Then upgrade to Life but that is another discussion

I've been NRA life for 25 year and other than a few orange "vote this way" postcards every election cycle they do not bother me. Oh and I upgraded to Patron and give my money to the Political Victory Fund, one hell of a political organization

The suit by NY is another example of asymmetrical warfare against the NRA.

How many of you who complain would be willing (not to mention capable) of leading this fight pro bono?
I will consider leading it for half what LaPierre makes. ;)

Personally, I think Wayne LaPierre is one of the creepiest dudes I've ever seen. But the man GETS STUFF DONE. He opens doors in DC that I'm not sure would be open otherwise. For a 20c cost on every member every year, seems like a good trade.

I wonder how many people here (especially those who criticize LaPierre) have actually met the man.

I have. It wasn't much perhaps, it was a talk and book signing. But I was able to get face-to-face with him for a few minutes, shake his hand, look him in the eye, and have an actual conversation.

Lol, LaPierre reminds me of like David Miscavige, although obviously lacking in the pure evil department (which in this case is a good thing) but equal in the awkwardness department.

-Mike

Love them or hate them, the NRA losing their case in NY will rekindle the anti gun establishment to a whole new level. They will equate it as David taking down Goliath and then it will be field day open for gun owners and any pro gun entity. When you say you hope the NRA goes down, you really need to think about what that holds for us down the road. Nothing good is your answer. To hope for the NRAs demise is equal to the ultimate Fudd move.

I wonder how many people here (especially those who criticize LaPierre) have actually met the man.

I have. It wasn't much perhaps, it was a talk and book signing. But I was able to get face-to-face with him for a few minutes, shake his hand, look him in the eye, and have an actual conversation.

HE still looks creepy. Maybe because he's the head fo the NRA and you want some square-jawed, punch-first-take-interviews-later type guy. Like Clint Eastwood. He just doesn't LOOK NRA. But he's very very good at what he does.

I was serious about sending back the acu backpack. Now im the one about to go bankrupt because i need to buy a new one for $13.

Thanks obama.

I'm sorry, but if I was a poor $300,000 million dollar annual income company asking for more donations I wouldn't be calling asking for more money.
I would be asking for what we could cut first!

Kind of like Chrysler and GM flying corporate Lear jets to ask for a bail gvt. bailout.
While the Ford guy drove there or took a coach flight!

I guess my meager income and accountant won't let me understand such financial hardships![rofl]

Sorry NRA, but I already gave at your office!

So you would advocate bowing to NY State's blatant money grab without a fight? And set yourself up for state after state to do the same thing?

No wonder you are poor. [/SARCASM]

The United Way's CEO pulls down $1.2M in total compensation. For the children.

Brian Gallagher’s total compensation in 2015 was $1,236,611. This includes $532,028 in base compensation, $175,000 in bonus and incentive compensation (approved by the Executive Compensation Committee and Board of Trustees based on his successful performance of specific objectives), $142,553 in other reportable compensation, and $387,030 in health insurance and retirement benefits. For full details, please see Schedule J of IRS Form 990.

Mr. Gallagher has donated to United Way throughout his 35 year career at the charity and is a member of the Tocqueville Society, the honor society of the organization’s most dedicated donors.

CEO Compensation FAQ | United Way Worldwide

I would love to be a company that has 300 million dollars in annual income and tell everyone I'm broke!:D

140,000,000 firearm owners in the US.

Sounds like they need more members and not hit up the ones supporting them all along!

Last edited:
I would love to be a company that has 300 million dollars in annual income and tell everyone I'm broke!:D

Sounds like they need more members and not hit up the ones supporting them all along!

Well, if you would apply the NES attitude of not giving a flying fickle finger of fate about the NRA, you begin to understand the general lack of higher membership across the country.

The NRA lawsuit would be tossed out of court if they didn't show financial harm caused by NY's moves. It doesn't matter how much they have in the bank or the size of LaPierre's salary. If Cuomo & Co. can cut them off from banks and insurance providers they're in deep trouble.
As for the guys who won't spend 75 cents a week for an NRA membership, be sure to specify in your will that you want only NRA members as pallbearers. We've carried you all this time. Might as well finish the job.

As for the guys who won't spend 75 cents a week for an NRA membership, be sure to specify in your will that you want only NRA members as pallbearers. We've carried you all this time. Might as well finish the job.

My responsibility for carrying them ends with their last breath.

Instead I recommend Dianne Feinstein, Chuck Schumer, Shannon Watts, Michael Bloomberg, Sarah Brady, and David Hogg to be their pall bearers. It would be fitting.

The United Way's CEO pulls down $1.2M in total compensation. For the children.

CEO Compensation FAQ | United Way Worldwide
Lol, and United Way only pulls in ~$150 million a year. AND it's a cause that everyone thinks is great.

Might I suggest running an organization that is reviled by a plurality of the country is more difficult than one that's recruited the cashiers at Whole Foods to guilt you into donating?

If Cuomo wins, who will be next? If Cuomo wins, will Maura feel emboldened to cut off financial access to GOAL and Comm2A?

Be careful who you cheer for, it just might come back to bite you.

That meant cutting off basic financial services such as banking and liability insurance coverage for the organization’s facilities, programs and outlets like NRA TV. If you can’t get basic coverage for slip-and-fall type claims in your buildings or liability coverage for a media operation like NRA TV, you can’t open your doors.

“Defendants’ concerted efforts to stifle the NRA’s freedom of speech and to retaliate against the NRA based on its viewpoints are causing other insurance, banking, and financial institutions doing business with the NRA, such as Lloyd’s of London (“Lloyd’s”), to rethink their mutually beneficial business relationships with the NRA for fear of monetary sanctions or expensive public investigations,” the lawsuit says.

Lloyd’s terminated all of their insurance policies for the NRA. That announcement was made on May 9.

The NRA has contacted other corporate carriers about potential coverage. Each one of them has expressed fear of retaliation by DFS.

“The NRA has spoken to numerous carriers in an effort to obtain replacement corporate insurance coverage; nearly every carrier has indicated that it fears transacting with the NRA specifically in light of DFS’s actions against Lockton and Chubb,” the lawsuit says.

So New York’s strategy was clear. Go full-on thug with any insurance company or bank with a presence in the Empire State…and that’s most large banks and insurance companies. They’d investigate, regulate and fine them into submission until they cry ‘uncle’ and agree to stop doing business with the NRA.

Nice insurance company you got there. Be a shame if sumpthin’ was to happen to it.

"This morning Governor Soprano Cuomo made an appearance on MSNBC’s Morning Joe.

View: https://youtu.be/Zrq9-_Ynq24

Watch the whole thing. In the interview, he basically admits to what the NRA is alleging and is darned proud of it.

I think these are bad guys. … Look, from my point of view, I do disagree with them politically. And if they have less money to bully and threaten politicians into irrational positions, you know, I’m not going to lose any sleep over that. And if they went away, you know, I would offer my thoughts and prayers, Joe. Just like they do every time we have another situation with innocents losing their lives.

It’s an extraordinarily dangerous precedent and a tactic which a petty demagogue like Cuomo, as the head of New York’s vast regulatory apparatus, is uniquely positioned to carry out. Gin up an argument why an individual or organization you don’t like is “breaking the law,” then strong-arm banks and insurers to cut them off, starving the target of the attack into insolvency."

NY Gov. Cuomo Admits to Charges Alleged in NRA Lawsuit Against Him - The Truth About Guns

So glad they’re suing. NY Ins Dept is famous for politically based decisions that fly in the face of the law. It’s about time they get slapped.

Now on Politico, Cuomo is now pushing other antigun AG's and governors to pull the same BS he has pulled to go after the NRA.

Maybe you hate the carry guard insurance, that is fine, but if Cuomo can get it banned in NY and other states follow, who is to say they won't seek to ban carry guard competitors?

On Monday, Cuomo urged leaders in other states to take similar actions against the NRA’s Carry Guard insurance program, which covers legal costs stemming from self-defense shootings, something New York argues is unlawful. The Department of Financial Services has also pushed firms not to do business with the NRA, the NRA contends, under threat the firms could lose their license to operate in New York.

Cuomo wrote to other governors on Monday, urging them to “examine your laws and determine whether or not this product is being illegally sold in your state, and I encourage you to follow New York's lead and block the sale of these NRA products if they are illegal, or to outlaw these products if they are not already prohibited.”

Cuomo urges other states to hit NRA finances as group claims losses

If Cuomo wins, who will be next? If Cuomo wins, will Maura feel emboldened to cut off financial access to GOAL and Comm2A?

Be careful who you cheer for, it just might come back to bite you.

Luckily, the MA AG has very little actual power as compared to the governor. And generally speaking, the MA electorate seems to be a bit more rational about who they put in the corner office than they are with the AG.

I'll take Weld over Silber, Cellucci over Harshbarger, Romney over O'Brien, Baker over Marsha, and Baker over whatever retread leftist freakshow the Dems put up in the fall, any day of the week and twice on Sundays. And yes, I know, Deval sucked, but he was probably better than Reilly would have been, and nowhere near as bad as Cuomo with his soapbox and abuses of power.

Baker isn't good, but a pushover that doesnt hate us is a hell of a lot better than an out of control ideologue with 50k+ employees at his disposal.

C'mon, man. If you are that gullible, you'd be a great audience member at a children's magic show.

Do you really think the NRA needs more $??? That this is bankrupting them??? You are feeding into the same like the Dems are screaming about right now. "We're going to bankrupt the NRA."

No. No they aren't.

But send them some $ anyhow. I'm tired of this old "I'm not supporting the NRA" pissing match. The vast majority of people who say that are using it as an excuse to not reveal they are cheap.

Correct, GF's family vacation at Lake George every year and I refuse to go. Cuomo is such a liberal POS!

Yet you live in MA. Interesting. LOL

Back
Top Bottom