• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Northeast Preppers?

I'm with ya. "militias" get too much unwanted attention and while most who would join would be like minded, there is always a few looses screws in any group. besides, anarchy isn't what were talking about, its more about taking care of family when times get tough, putting aside what will be scarce when t.s.h.t.f (for whatever reason).
the beginning would be something like this forum, where ideas and info is exchanged. then possible meet ups at neutral locations i.e. gun shows. I don't want to seem paranoid but one of the reasons we prep is because of the overwhelming numbers of scum bags who would slit your throat over a sandwich

precisely. As for coms I am looking at buying the handheld ham radio setup and then I guess you need to get and amateur radio operators license.. I think when t.s.h.t.f it won't matter but until then it'd be good I guess to be licensed to get to know how to use it well enough for when the time comes...

sandwich i'm partial to roast beef.
as for coms. i'm reasonable sure you don't need a license to "listen" so you could in therory get a complete set up with out broadcasting. i know my gun club has a ham radio faction. they have open meeting every so often you chould check your area for somthing like that

Ideally, you want something like a tri-band vhf rig with full band reception. I'm thinking of a Kenwood th-f6a. Other brands have similar units. This gives you broadcast capabilities on three popular VHF bands, and reception across virtually the entire spectrum of amateur and commercial radio. So it's both a radio and a scanner. They cost around $300.

It's worth getting your license because there is a lot to know about radio, and finding yourself alone in the world not knowing how to make a simple antenna out of wire would be unfortunate.

I don't think that most shops ask for your license before selling you a radio any more. They did years ago.

I'm a little disappointed, frankly. I got a new radio a few months ago after a 15 year layoff, and it seems like 2 meter is dead in these parts. Little on the 146.64, nothing on 147.15, and even spent a day on 145.23 and didn't hear much. There seems to be an active repeater south of me (147.45?) but I only pick it up on the road. Maybe it's just the times I've been on.

That doesn't matter in a SHTF scenario, because then you'll be running simplex, but I have no idea who's out there and who to avoid, etc.

Last edited:
oh absolutely Smurf, I am buying one regardless if I have the license or not. Also I was going to pick up and old or new CB radio you get a good 25 mile radius with a decent antenna.. Btw Smurf I am in the worcester area too. Lancaster to be exact..

Ideally, you want something like a tri-band hf rig with full band reception. I'm thinking of a Kenwood th-f6a. Other brands have similar units. This gives you broadcast capabilities on three popular VHF bands, and reception across virtually the entire spectrum of amateur and commercial radio. So it's both a radio and a scanner. They cost around $300.

It's worth getting your license because there is a lot to know about radio, and finding yourself alone in the world not knowing how to make a simple antenna out of wire would be unfortunate.

I don't think that most shops ask for your license before selling you a radio any more. They did years ago.

I'm a little disappointed, frankly. I got a new radio a few months ago after a 15 year layoff, and it seems like 2 meter is dead in these parts. Little on the 146.64, nothing on 147.15, and even spent a day on 145.23 and didn't hear much. There seems to be an active repeater south of me (147.45?) but I only pick it up on the road. Maybe it's just the times I've been on.

That doesn't matter in a SHTF scenario, because then you'll be running simplex, but I have no idea who's out there and who to avoid, etc.

I was actually looking at the handhelds for convenience and the fact that I have a solar panel unit that is backpack portable for recharging batery packs and electronic devices..

I was actually looking at the handhelds for convenience and the fact that I have a solar panel unit that is backpack portable for recharging batery packs and electronic devices..

I think that is a good plan. Look at the Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom units. You can spend more and get all the web/PC/GPS bells and whistles, or spend less and not get 6 meters/440. Yaesu has some that are mil-spec water submersible, whereas the others are 'resistant' not submersible. Make sure you get the extra AA/AAA battery pack so that you can use disposable or rechargeable batteries and aren't hosed when the factory rechargeable dies(and it will eventually.)

You don't absolutely have to have your license, but it helps because there is a lot to know. Also keep in mind that the radios pack a huge amount of technology into a tiny unit with 20 buttons. When I unpacked my Kenwood, for the first few days I thought I was an idiot, even with the manual, and I have an engineering degree and prior experience with ham gear. Once you get them set up and understand them, they are pretty straightforward. Um, yeah.

I think that is a good plan. Look at the Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom units. You can spend more and get all the web/PC/GPS bells and whistles, or spend less and not get 6 meters/440. Yaesu has some that are mil-spec water submersible, whereas the others are 'resistant' not submersible. Make sure you get the extra AA/AAA battery pack so that you can use disposable or rechargeable batteries and aren't hosed when the factory rechargeable dies(and it will eventually.)

You don't absolutely have to have your license, but it helps because there is a lot to know. Also keep in mind that the radios pack a huge amount of technology into a tiny unit with 20 buttons. When I unpacked my Kenwood, for the first few days I thought I was an idiot, even with the manual, and I have an engineering degree and prior experience with ham gear. Once you get them set up and understand them, they are pretty straightforward. Um, yeah.

thanks so much for the info. I was actually looking at the Yaesu models. I have seen how many buttons and functions they have on the handhelds . It made me think "I'd better get someone tot each me this or I will SOL when the time comes to need to use it". After I buy one I sure wouldn't mind a bit of mentoring from someone who already knows.

I totally agree with that, it would be cool if we were all a bit closer in many ways. But I think forming a network is a good start..
+1 I have been looking for network in the northeast, I've got a buddy who is on the same page as me and who is also an NES member! I just think having a group of people who understand and won't look at you crazy and if the shtf you know some others out there that you could possibly form a group with would be nice.

if you have a dollar tree near you pick-up some boxed milk. i bought one to try it and found it was pretty good. a little thicker than regular but the taste was there and it stores at room tenp for 2 years. went back and cleaned them out. i'de do it quick though, do to price increases thay wont be stocking it for long.

Some networking could be helpful, there is an upcoming gun show in Marlboro (previously mentioned neutral location). Also, I remember a post re. a group buy on Mountainhouse a while ago, but haven't seen it in the group buy session?

I've sworn off gun shows since I went to the one in Wilmington last year.. no good deals to be had and I saw my S&W SIGMA priced at about 65-70 dollars more than I paid for it new. Anyhow, if everyone is up for it I'd be willing to maybe, go shooting together at someone's range and shoot the shit during/afterwards maybe have a couple beers or something?

btw, my real name is Mark.

steve here.
any of you guys follow any of the u-tube channels for prepping? if you weed out the tinfoil hat guys there are a lot of level headed folks and some good ideas. lots of "here's what I have" videos. also alternative energy and how-to info good resource

steve here.
any of you guys follow any of the u-tube channels for prepping? if you weed out the tinfoil hat guys there are a lot of level headed folks and some good ideas. lots of "here's what I have" videos. also alternative energy and how-to info good resource

oh yeah, southernprepper1 is good guy real practical for the most part.
He's a combat veteran and said that after seeing people fighting for food and water in other countries he decided when he came home he would make sure he and his family would be ready for any sort of emergency.
He's the dude that got me to ask you guys about forming a community of sorts.
The history channel had a show on about apocolyptic destruction or some shit and they actually interviewed him.

got a couple of channels on youtube i follow it think i have seen southernprepper1 is he from florida? dunno,, but definatly lots of good info there though i will post the channels i follow soon so you guys can check them out.

I'd rather see someone in So. NH run another gun show than one in Fitchburg.

The springfield show needs to get "replaced" really badly, too. What a rip off that thing is.

-Mike

Absolutely agree. Went there ten years ago and never went back. Not even close to being worth the drive.

got a couple of channels on youtube i follow it think i have seen southernprepper1 is he from florida? dunno,, but definatly lots of good info there though i will post the channels i follow soon so you guys can check them out.

He's from South Carolina. Check out engineer775 too, thats his neighbor too, he knows his stuff when it comes to all things mechanical/electrical. Just got info on a slow solar pump system this morning. That will be the system I use to pump from a creek to cisterns for irrigation.

He's from South Carolina. Check out engineer775 too, thats his neighbor too, he knows his stuff when it comes to all things mechanical/electrical. Just got info on a slow solar pump system this morning. That will be the system I use to pump from a creek to cisterns for irrigation.

Cool man thanks i will check it out.

My Parents always had a fair amount of canned and dry goods on hand having gone through the depression. I was just brought up with having food ahead. So my wife was use to seeing a fair amount in the pantry. I bought my wife a Grain Mill and 100 lbs of Wheat berries. Something she could use right away. It helped to get her thinking more about being prepared.
Explain it this way. Prepping is Insurance like homeowners. If nothing happens you still have the goods and if the food gets close to going out of date give it to a food bank that will use it up right away. If you have homeowners Insurance and your house does not burn down do you think you wasted your money?

Have her go to http://thesurvivalmom.com/

Back
Top Bottom