North Korean SKS with a Refurb Stock

Just picked up a North Korean SKS, which increases the known specimens in the database to 36 units in the US. Scarce item!

Nothing spectacular. It's in fair condition, with laminate stock, no gas cut-off valve, and plenty of pitting. The bolt carrier and bayonet have scratching marks from what appears to be aggressive cleaning.

But, I'll take it, it's still danged rare, and I might even shoot it!

What's most intriguing to me is the stock. I'm not sure it is original to the gun, and may have been added during a refurb process. It has surely received a second coat of heavy red shellac, and the stock numbers are stamped through both the original and second layer of finish. The numbers are also stamped over previous smaller numbers. The additional shellac was also applied while the gun was still assembled, as there are spots of red shellac finish on the metal.

Now, was the sloppy shellac applied in North Korea, or in the Vietnam theater? Tough to tell for sure, but I'll guess that it was done before it was shipped to Vietnam in the mid to late 1960's. North Korean stocks exhibit unique stock cartouches which appear to have been pressed into the shellac while it was still curing. Most of these cartouches which I have observed can be found on the left buttstock (near sling swivel/serial) and wrist areas.

This new specimen has two (and possibly three or more) cartouche roundels which are pressed into the shellac. One on the right buttstock, and the other is forward of the magazine well. The one on the underside of the stock has been recovered with shellac, and the one on the right buttstock appears to have been done in the new shellac, before being worn by handling and/or chipped away. There are also marks behind the trigger guard, but I can't be sure that they are intentional cartouches or not.

So, why do I think it is a North Korean Refurb? First, of the hundreds of Chinese examples from Vietnam, I don't recall seeing any of them covered in a second layer of red shellac. Next, the stock numbers are sloppily applied through both layers of shellac, and on top of the orderly and original factory numbering - not sure the North Vietnamese cared much about numbering to match. And last, the stock doesn't show the typical pattern of cartouches in the shellac.

I may be all wet with my refurb theory. But take a look at the pics, and judge for yourself. In any case, it's a rare glimpse at a rare Communist carbine.

Enjoy, and thanks for looking.

go7y4GPl.jpg

sL6suvGl.jpg

yUSbJFol.jpg

r1OaAxtl.jpg

4NICRFrl.jpg

T4xtAF5l.jpg

ZETwRUal.jpg

7GWOtBGl.jpg

XWNkBPMl.jpg

TEPNLxel.jpg

lseunDEl.jpg

FNzkYfml.jpg

oTSuPN2l.jpg

GRdTGLZl.jpg

miwMdVAl.jpg

tkIkU7Dl.jpg

rx3OG5pl.jpg

72joVTyl.jpg

90bCthMl.jpg

KJRKLpVl.jpg

yL3RQjkl.jpg

fM04kTVl.jpg

pBS7gZkl.jpg

VG9irgnl.jpg

BcMPOPdl.jpg

WMcA1EGl.jpg

BoRNx4Nl.jpg

E8jqcFHl.jpg

4C5waKsl.jpg

7TObBAPl.jpg

Fijyoghl.jpg

eoFTWlRl.jpg

Nothing wrong with refurbished matching. My '16 VCS Gew98M is the 4th user of the stock that its in, with three previous line outs inside the channel.

Very nice.

T

You've got too many now. I'll have to demand you hand that one over to me. [grin]

Now... details. Gunbroker buy? Local shop? Found it on a table at a yard sale for $50?

No big steal, but still a good buy. A fellow collector out of North Carolina picked it up in an estate sale, and sent it up the coast.

Back
Top Bottom