• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Norfolk Residents - GO TO YOUR TOWN MEETING TONIGHT

Mike S

NES Member
See article below which is up for vote tonight. This is complete Nanny State nonsense. If you care about freedom and live in Norfolk, get out to your town meeting tonight and vote this down.

ARTICLE 25 Submitted by the Board of Selectmen
To see if the Town will add a new Section 39 to Article X of the General Bylaws, entitled "Hunting," as follows:

No person shall hunt, whether by rifle, shotgun, bow or cross-bow in the Town of Norfolk, except that, for hunting on private property, a hunter may apply for and receive a license on an annual basis from the Norfolk Chief of Police, or his designee. Applications for such licenses shall be on an approved form and must be signed by the owner of the property, authorizing such activities. The Chief of Police may deny such licenses in his sole discretion, if he determines that said hunting activities may pose a potential risk to public safety; or the Chief may impose such conditions on an approved license as he may deem necessary to protect public safety. In no circumstance may any licensee hunt within 500 feet of a residential structure, recreational facility, school property or such other property as the Chief of Police may determine. Violations of this bylaw shall be punishable by a fine of $300.00 per violation. As an alternative to criminal prosecution or civil action, the Town may elect to enforce this bylaw by non- criminal disposition procedure pursuant to G.L. c 40, §21D and Article XIV of these bylaws, in which case the Chief of Police OF any Norfolk Police Officer shall be the enforcing officer. Each day or part thereof that such violation occurs or continues shall constitute a separate offense.
And further to amend Appendix A of the General Bylaws to include the penalty and enforcing officer for a violation of this bylaw; or take any other action relative thereto.

Wow, have to ask permission from the King for activity on your own land.

I forget how this played out in Medfield but IIRC, it wasn't enforceable on state owned land. Not sure about private land though.

EDIT:

I'm not a Norfolk resident but you should go and ask a lot of detailed question, which they won't have the answers to (but play up the liberal aspect):

1. How will this effect the deer population?
1b. With an increase in deer, how many deer will starve though the winter?
2. What was the accident rate for the past 5 years related to wild animal collisions? Were there any fatalities?
3. How many more auto accidents are predicted?
4. How many cases of lyme disease occurred in the past 5 years?
5. With more deer, what should residents expect for an increase in tick population and exposures to lyme disease?

etc.

Then summarize if these issues haven't been investigated then the issue shouldn't be passed.

Last edited:
If the room does not look like its going your way then make a motion to modify the bylaw to something safe like "no hunting without a permit" they will need to vote on the motion. Keep making motions until people are sick of hearing you. Then motion to table the article :)

Another town "Chief Of Police" power grab for permission to do what you want on your own land. I see this as a violation of your personal property rights, but then the EPA has been ALLOWED by us to make a living off this for years. If there's one person (remaining) in Norfolk who wants to hunt on their own land provided they are following the existing regs and rules...I see a lawsuit coming.

Not sure how many State owned (Public Owned) land is open to hunting in Norfolk, but this certainly will not apply.

More questions to ask:

How will this effect the coyote population? That's a real sore spot with people and for good reason. More weak deer will certainly bring more predators.

If Norfolk is anything like Pepperell, the Town Meeting is probably still going on.

[thinking]

I was at the town meeting last night. The article (Article25) was indefinitely postponed. (Read into this it will be back in the fall and even more strict.) One of the reasons selectmen wanted it postponed is because they don't know if the chief of police will be held responsible for saying who can and can't hunt in the town if they do something wrong.

There were a group of landowners in the town crying that there houses are being hit with bullets from reckless hunters. Others were saying that they have posted their land and people refuse to stop hunting there. I proposed that what they had was a problem enforcing existing laws and didn't need new ones.

I also brought up the facts that if the number of hunters decrease the number of deer increase. When the number of deer increase, the instance of Lyme disease increases along with the frequency of car deer collisions. The person that spoke just before me was suffering from Lyme disease and was asking that they vote against this bill. And he's not even a hunter.

One of speakers, I believe him to be a previous selectman, said the bill should contain black powder guns and handguns too as they were missing from the article.

There were a few speakers making some valid points on the hunters side.

When this comes back in the fall, and it will, there needs to be a solid wall of town voters to vote this down or it will pass. We got lucky tonight with the postponement. This article took the longest to decide, by far, than any other of the night. A voice vote couldn't be accurately called so they had a show of hands. Because of the way the questions were wrangled, it took two votes to get this thing postponed and we won by about 12-14 votes.

"What you tolerate, you validate. What you put up with, you deserve!" ~Scrivener

That seems to fit here. I hope you are able to put together a good contingent to oppose this in the Fall. Start with you local sportsmans clubs. Also see if GOAL can do a mailing to your zip code only with an informational letter or packet.

Future housing development?

Yes. That is what's going on. The first half of the meeting was about "affordable housing" being built in the town. "We must get within the states norms or we will lose control of what's built in our town." This was the underlying theme for the night.

IMHO the town of Norfolk has become a Dover, Sherborne wannabe. Yuppies have taken over the mindset. At least this meeting I didn't here the all too frequent argument that we must end all clotheslines in the town because it's unsightly to see people's underwear while driving through town.

I may be traveling when the town meeting is held in the fall. Yup, I'll be elsewhere hunting.

Jarhead, I have a great informational pdf from MassWildlife. Shoot me an email and I'll send it to you. [email protected].

Also, please keep us in the loop with updates on this, especially as the next meeting which could include a vote approaches.

Thanks

Also, contact MassWildlife. Having a wildlife biologist show up and explain the science may be helpful.

I attended a presentation by Pat Huckery from MassWildlife a few months ago about deer management, she seemed to be pro-hunting and had lots of info on ticks and car collisions.

Actually, those of us in Dover are pretty laid back compared to other towns. People generally leave each other alone and we do what we want on our property without much interference from the town. Just gotta use common sense. We don't have that much regulation in our bylaws. Sure, we have our goofy hunting laws but our police chief is a good guy (we're a green town). So easy on the bashing. And, yes, I have friends in Norfolk who are gun owners.

I attended a presentation by Pat Huckery from MassWildlife a few months ago about deer management, she seemed to be pro-hunting and had lots of info on ticks and car collisions.

Pat is very pro hunting and provided GOAL with the information which was sent to Norfolk residents.

My primary inteaction with MassWildlife is as SRGC's Delegate to the Worcester County League of Sportsmen's CLubs. MW "reoprts" to the WCL at pretty much each meeting. They're by definition in the wildlife management business....and the main way of doing that is by hunting.

[thinking]

Years ago I was on the board of directors of the Norfolk County League of Sportsmen's clubs for a short time. I used to enjoy the Mass. Wildlife Speakers the most.

Well Norfolk residents F***ed all hunters by passing this idiotic bylaw. I have hunted in Norfolk for 18 years and now will not go anywhere near this shithole anymore . I hope the deer population explodes and then the coyote population explodes and finally the tick with Lyme disease explodes. Then when the a**h***s start dying from Lyme disease, and they start hitting deer with in there Infinity and Lexus cars, and Fluffy and Spot become Coyote Chow, and they start complaining i will sit back and tell them to F*** Off and die. Actually i might go and start feeding the deer and coyote in norfolk so i can enjoy it even more.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...cle_45614c8f-b5a9-5a4b-a9f6-8be6d4bb9d0a.html

Last edited:
I will try to get it , i hope its not the stupid proposal they made in the spring where you have to contact the police every day you plan to hunt.

I was just talking to a friend at work who said his wife was one of two people registering voters as they came in. Except that the second girl didn't show because her car was run into by a deer as she was backing out of her driveway. Norfolk has always had an insane deer and coyote population. I used to drive through there to work and it was terrifying how many close calls I had.

Funny part of this whole story is they passed the bylaw at the Thursday Night Meeting and i nailed a nice 8 pointer in Norfolk on Friday . Efff Em!

Norfolk is completely out of control. I have never seen a small town government so power hungery and oppressive to its residents. The conservation commission, Town Council, police are the most unethical people MA has to offer. I have a couple buddies who live in the town and they consistantly watch civil rights be obliterated. A while back they were getting sued for going against small businesses and developers, taking their rightfully bought land by EmDomain (their lawyer, slimy bastard resident named Talerman, should be disbarred for his ethics).

Sorry to hear that this is happening to you brother.

They are also one of the only towns in the area that has A TANK that the DOC lets them use. Growing up in the area, Norfolk was always seen as the rednecky part of the county. Ride ATV's down the street, shoot guns in the fields, everyone knew all the cops by first name. Now it's scary how much it's turning into a little Cambridge or other Anti freedom town. They're doing everything right to push out the locals and bring in the high end homeowners that want to ban any and everything that might hurt the children.

Back
Top Bottom