non resident

In january I will be moving to new hampshire to go to school. I will live on campus and i know that firearms are not allowed on campus so i plan on keeping mine in a storage unit untill i can get a place of my own. Untill I am a resident is there any way I can buy a handgun? If i read correctly they do issue non resident ltc's. Does anyone know if a non-resident buying a handgun is possible and how to do it? Thanks.

Walk into the gun store, pick out your gun, show your NH driver's license, wait about 5 minutes for the check (it isn't really instant), pay and walk out with your new toy.

You need a DL for the state you are a resident in, and can only have one. Then if you want to carry as a resident of NH then you go to your local PD and fill out application for LTC. But remember if you are a resident of NH unless you have a Non Resident LTC for mass which is $100/year you cant carry in mass. If you put your guns in a storage unit, make sure you have insurance for fire and theft!

What about open carry? I was in North Carolina for a while and while it was a open carry state it was sort of frowned upon.

But remember if you are a resident of NH unless you have a Non Resident LTC for mass which is $100/year you cant carry in mass.

NOT true. He can be a dual resident. While in college he is legally entitled to two Resident LTCs, but a NH LTC is totally irrelevant to buying anything in NH!

NOT true. He can be a dual resident. While in college he is legally entitled to two Resident LTCs, but a NH LTC is totally irrelevant to buying anything in NH!

So how would that work in the in the real world. Just walk into a gun store in NH and say I would like to buy a hand gun. I go to school in NH But I have a MA drivers ?

So how would that work in the in the real world. Just walk into a gun store in NH and say I would like to buy a hand gun. I go to school in NH But I have a MA drivers ?

It's up to the dealer but you'd have to convince him that you are living in NH. Dual Residence is a popular topic here, do some searching . . . it gets beat to death weekly here. Fed Law is crystal clear. State laws and interpretations will vary greatly.

Fed law says you can be a dual resident, but it also imposes the burden on the dealer to accept your proof of residency. Very, very few dealers will accept anything other than an in-state DL or ID; the ATF lets them accept other documents, but most won't risk it.

You may or may not be able to get a NH non-driver ID card; I've heard mixed reports. But even for that ID card, you have to provide proof of both ID and residency. (Note: the requirements are the same for a DL, and a non-DL ID.)

The primary and secondary documents are easy for most people, but they may cost you a few bucks, up to several dozen bucks. The residency documents are much harder for students, especially in campus housing.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/forms/documents/identification-residency.pdf

In january I will be moving to new hampshire to go to school. I will live on campus and i know that firearms are not allowed on campus so i plan on keeping mine in a storage unit untill i can get a place of my own. Untill I am a resident is there any way I can buy a handgun? If i read correctly they do issue non resident ltc's. Does anyone know if a non-resident buying a handgun is possible and how to do it? Thanks.

What about open carry? I was in North Carolina for a while and while it was a open carry state it was sort of frowned upon.

You are right that firearms aren't allowed on campus, but do know that is a school policy only and not law.

Open carry is legal in NH. Frowned upon is subjective. I wouldn't say it is frowned upon but there are even gun owners on this forum who freak out over the idea, so in a college town, I'm sure some people would give you mean looks. Personally, screw those people. Fortunately I have seen that to be the case when I open carry though.

Regarding "frowned upon" activities, check the student handbook while you're at it. Depending on the school they may have some asinine policy regarding students and guns regardless of where they are. Doubtful that any prohibition off campus would be legally enforceable, but they might be able to expel you. There was some story about this subject recently.

Fed law says you can be a dual resident, but it also imposes the burden on the dealer to accept your proof of residency. Very, very few dealers will accept anything other than an in-state DL or ID; the ATF lets them accept other documents, but most won't risk it.

It is common for dealers to accept a CCW/LTC, with an instate address, as sufficient proof to buy a gun. Snowbirds who own homes in FL commonly get a FL CCW, using their FL address, and are accepted as "residents" by gun shops when presenting the CCW.

Here in MA, and previously as a NY resident, I never had a dealer selling me a gun require any ID in addition to the carry permit.

A dual resident would do well to get an in-state, with in-state address, LTC from the state in which (s)he does not have a driver's license.

It is common for dealers to accept a CCW/LTC, with an instate address, as sufficient proof to buy a gun. Snowbirds who own homes in FL commonly get a FL CCW, using their FL address, and are accepted as "residents" by gun shops when presenting the CCW.

Here in MA, and previously as a NY resident, I never had a dealer selling me a gun require any ID in addition to the carry permit.

A dual resident would do well to get an in-state, with in-state address, LTC from the state in which (s)he does not have a driver's license.

Wow.

An LTC, by any other name in many states, is not necessarily an "ID".

A Texas CHL is not a form of ID. It serves to get the purchaser out a NICS check, but can't be used as ID for the purchase.

ATF requires that the ID presented to prove identity and residency list a physical street address; this presented a problem for many people who had P.O. boxes or "rural route" addresses, not to mention full-time truckers and RVers with no permanent address.

Your experience is obviously different than mine. It's also differs from the experience of every other gun buyer or FFL that I've ever dealt with. Given the power that ATF has to shut down a dealer for tiny rules violations, every dealer I've ever known or dealt with goes to extra efforts to assure the identity and residency of everyone they deal with.

Your experience is obviously different than mine.
Perhaps.

I have never had a dealer in MA or NY (when I lived there) ask for any ID beyond by LTC (MA) or Pistol Permit (NY). These are government issues; have a photo; and also have an address.

Perhaps.

I have never had a dealer in MA or NY (when I lived there) ask for any ID beyond by LTC (MA) or Pistol Permit (NY). These are government issues; have a photo; and also have an address.

In NH they ask for a DL, if you are a NH resident they do NOT want to see any LTC. If you are a M*******, they want to see your MA LTC AND MA DL, they will take a photocopy of your DL (at least most will) and that info is what goes in their bound book.

FL doesn't put address on their LTC any more, so no doubt they also only want to see your DL (unless avoiding the waiting period, then both DL and LTC).

In fact, the drivers license for ID in NH presents an interesting problem. You DLL has your Mailing Address on the front. You may, at your option, have your residence address on the BACK of the license. If your drivers license doesn't gave your residential address... It's no good for ID to buy a handgun in NH.

My drivers license has the same street and number in the front as on the back... But a different town. Every time I show it, it causes problems. And I always have to explain "pay taxes in town x, but post office in town y delivers my mail." Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom