Non Resident Needing to "check" Pistol Before Visiting Mass.

I currently hold a Non Resident CT Pistol Permit. My primary Permit is from PA as I am a resident their. I have a daughter to that will be attending college in CT starting this fall. I am intrinsically familiar with PA and CT firearms transport law as well as Federal Law. Here is my question, while in CT on business or visiting and wanting to take a day trip to Mass. - Boston, Gloucester etc.... is there anyway or place for me to lawfully check my pistol in CT before crossing over into Mass. For instance, would a gun shop owner provide this service and is it legal. Have never been to Mass. and would like to visit, but need to be able to secure my pistol in CT. Thanks for any advice.

Thanks!! If this was the wrong section for posting, my bad. No problem if the mods delete or move.

If they can legally posess the gun (meaning if they have a CT carry permit/permit to purchase or are an FFL) then it's legal for you to leave it with them. I can't imagine there's a place that would do that though, at least not that I've heard of.

Thanks!! If this was the wrong section for posting, my bad. No problem if the mods delete or move.

Don't mind scriv. He's a douche to everyone. He can't read or do math, so we keep him around.

You'd probably get better answers in that forum, though.

Don't mind scriv. He's a douche to everyone. He can't read or do math, so we keep him around.

You'd probably get better answers in that forum, though.

Actually, in this case Scriv's answer was polite and on track.

I moved this into CT laws. My bet is you will find this to be more of a pain in the ass then it's worth, unless you have a permitted friend in CT you can leave your gun with temporarily.

-Mike

Thanks for the responses. I would hate to leave the pistol in a hotel room even though it would be locked in a portable safe and cabled to the bed frame after the maid has serviced the room. That may be my only option based on the responses. I was hoping that someone would know of a gun shop that would take temporarypossession of the pistol for a price, of course.

With use of Google, maybe you can get a list of gun shops in the general area that your daughter will be residing. Maybe a phone call to one of the shops and a settlement of a storage fee would be in order. Worth a try. Get a receipt that spells with the ser # etc.

If no-go then leave the piece at home. I wouldn't leave it locked to my hotel bed. That's asking for it.

Seems like almost every hotel room these days has a small safe. I'd be comfortable using that. Your mileage may vary.

I would be confident with a Secure-It safe, cabled to the bed frame, slid between the mattresses after the cleaning crew had come through.

Secure-It safe from Midway

... and if you're creative about where you attach it and hide it, I might even be confident that it would withstand a normal room-cleaning service... especially if you have a bed that's not being slept in! The custodial crew won't even touch that bed!

From what I recall, there is a "temporary" non-resident permit available in MA - this might suit your purpose - I think you have to apply for it in advance and have specific travel dates. I'm not sure if this is only valid when you are transiting from one state to another, though.

I would be confident with a Secure-It safe, cabled to the bed frame, slid between the mattresses after the cleaning crew had come through.

Secure-It safe from Midway

... and if you're creative about where you attach it and hide it, I might even be confident that it would withstand a normal room-cleaning service... especially if you have a bed that's not being slept in! The custodial crew won't even touch that bed!

FWIW, I think I could sever that cable on that Secure-It in about two seconds with my Klein linesman pliers (side cutters) that I carried in my back pocket every day while working as an electrican. Not too secure IMO.

With the small safe you mention, secured to the bed and not obviously sitting out (i.e. under the bed secured to it), I would be okay with leaving in the hotel with the Do Not Disturb card on the door. Whenever I travel, I use that card for multiple days. I'm not a slob and don't want the cleaning crew in there everyday. Honestly, I don't care if the bed's made or not and I don't like people looking at my stuff. Plus it saves me a couple of bucks in tips each day, since I feel obligated to tip them if they do come in.

This is just a curious thought. Would it be lawful for him to meet an appropriately licensed MA resident at the border and turn over the firearm there. He could then meet at the border when outbound to reacquire the firearm?

Questions, Where in Ct are you? If Hartford county I could point you in a direction. How trusting are you? Would you be willing to lock it up in a personal home gun safe? Will your daughter have a parked car staying in Ct. you can keep in a lock box in the trunk? How long of a time needed to secure weapon, hours or days?

I moved this into CT laws. My bet is you will find this to be more of a pain in the ass then it's worth, unless you have a permitted friend in CT you can leave your gun with temporarily.

Yup.

I was hoping that someone would know of a gun shop that would take temporarypossession of the pistol for a price, of course.

I believe they'd have to log it in their book if they took posession of it from you, and do a 4473 to give it back to you.

From what I recall, there is a "temporary" non-resident permit available in MA - this might suit your purpose - I think you have to apply for it in advance and have specific travel dates. I'm not sure if this is only valid when you are transiting from one state to another, though.

You have to apply & renew in person, and it's $100 per year.

But if you help us support H2259 a non-resident Mass. permit would be $40 for 6 years, and shall issue.

Here's a link to how you can help.

This is just a curious thought. Would it be lawful for him to meet an appropriately licensed MA resident at the border and turn over the firearm there. He could then meet at the border when outbound to reacquire the firearm?

Yup.

Will your daughter have a parked car staying in Ct. you can keep in a lock box in the trunk? How long of a time needed to secure weapon, hours or days?

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Back
Top Bottom