Non-resident MA LTC

v13

I've been searching a bit and couldn't find this topic addressed here.

I currently have a MA LTC-A (restricted due to living in Boston). I'm moving out of state next year for graduate school. I was hoping to maintain my membership at BRP because I have family in MA that I'll be home to visit on the holidays and will probably be returning here after grad school.

I read a post by Len in which Ron Glidden has stated that my MA LTC will become null and void once I move out of state. I poked around the MGL 140 for a while but couldn't find anything to back up Ron's statement but I'm sure he is right. I was curious if anyone has had experience in applying for a non-resident LTC in MA. I've reviewed the procedure at GOAL's site and it seems straightforward but knowing this state I'm sure it has it's own wrinkles. I'm mainly interested in having the ability to go to the range when I'm home from school on breaks, so even if I was issued a restricted B that would be fine for me with what I currently own.

From what I've heard, you shouldn't have any problem at all getting an LTC-A non-resident license. It isn't clear to me how hard it is to get an unrestricted non-resident license -- it used to be easy.

The bad news: You'll have to apply and spend $100 every year rather than every 6 years. [sad]

The good news: You will get an unrestricted LTC relatively quickly, compared to how long Boston made you wait for your current hobbled license. [rockon]

Ken

I currently have a MA LTC-A (restricted due to living in Boston). I'm moving out of state next year for graduate school. I was hoping to maintain my membership at BRP because I have family in MA that I'll be home to visit on the holidays and will probably be returning here after grad school.

I read a post by Len in which Ron Glidden has stated that my MA LTC will become null and void once I move out of state. I poked around the MGL 140 for a while but couldn't find anything to back up Ron's statement but I'm sure he is right.

Are you changing your state of residence? Are you getting the in-state tuition rate at this school; are you getting a new driver's license; are you registering to vote in that state?

If not, I fail to see what Glidden bases his assertion on - IF he even made it.

Scrivener, I was hoping you would pop in this thread. I'm definitely not a lawyer but just poking around the MGL's I could find anything that plainly stated your LTC expires the moment you declare residency in another state.

I will definitely be changing residence to get in-state tuition at two of the schools I've applied to. It's $17k/year savings at UNC. I haven't decided if I end up at one of the private schools but since they are all in less restrictive states than MA most likely.

Are you changing your state of residence? Are you getting the in-state tuition rate at this school; are you getting a new driver's license; are you registering to vote in that state?

If not, I fail to see what Glidden bases his assertion on - IF he even made it.

Scrivener, I was hoping you would pop in this thread. I'm definitely not a lawyer but just poking around the MGL's I could find anything that plainly stated your LTC expires the moment you declare residency in another state.

I will definitely be changing residence to get in-state tuition at two of the schools I've applied to. It's $17k/year savings at UNC. I haven't decided if I end up at one of the private schools but since they are all in less restrictive states than MA most likely.

Merely attending school is NOT a change to "residency in another state."

Residency is a function of:

1. Actual presence; and

2. Intent to REMAIN for the present and an unspecified period thereafter.

If you ARE changing residency, and receiving in-state tuition is a clear indication of that, then your Mass. LTC will cease to be valid the nanosecond you cross the state line for your new home.

This much should be obvious: A RESIDENT license is only issued to residents. When you cease to be one, you cease to hold that license.

I suggest you check very carefully on that. Many state schools require you to have been resident for x years before you qualify for in-state tuition. Just changing your residence may not get you in-state tuition.

I suggest you check very carefully on that. Many state schools require you to have been resident for x years before you qualify for in-state tuition. Just changing your residence may not get you in-state tuition.

Definitely check the state requirements. Massachusetts has always been notoriously loose on letting students claim residency for tuition putposes. California, in contrast was a serious hard case when I lived there, requiring all sorts of documentation covering several years prior to becoming a student.

Ken

Agreed; you should consult with your own lawyer, wholly apart from gun issues. If, in fact, you only intend to abide in the other state during your student period and you presently intend to return to Massachusetts after completion of your studies, applying for "in state" benefits, such as a tuition abatement, could have severe consequences.

Listen to the lawyers (RKG & Scrivener) on this one.

I'll stick to addressing the NR LTC in case that become relevant to your case.

Getting one is straightforward. Apply to CHSB directly, meet the law and you should get a LTC-A with no restrictions!! They don't make folks jump thru hoops like Boston does.

Only drawbacks are:

- You won't be able to purchase ammo or guns legally in MA with a NR LTC.
- Cost = $100/year.
- Make sure that you don't bring a post-ban SAW or new hi-cap mags into MA.

Yes I know. Luckily NC is 1 year to qualify. You have to show intent to make NC your home after school. There are like 30 questions they ask. Where is your car registered, where do you vote, where do you spend your vacation time, etc, etc. If I end up there, I plan on buying a condo there which should pretty much cover the intent. But thanks for mentioning it.

Somehow it's fitting that I can leave the state and pretty easily get an unrestriced LTC after all the hoops I jumped through to get my restricted LTC living in Boston. Who knows, I may enjoy the new found freedom and never move back. If I do come back, I'll be sure to leave the hicaps in NC.

Thanks for everyone's input...much appreciated.

Listen to the lawyers (RKG & Scrivener) on this one.

I'll stick to addressing the NR LTC in case that become relevant to your case.

Getting one is straightforward. Apply to CHSB directly, meet the law and you should get a LTC-A with no restrictions!! They don't make folks jump thru hoops like Boston does.

Only drawbacks are:

- You won't be able to purchase ammo or guns legally in MA with a NR LTC.
- Cost = $100/year.
- Make sure that you don't bring a post-ban SAW or new hi-cap mags into MA.

Never seen a link for the application but a call to the FRB 617-660-4780 should get one.
If you get one, scan it and we can post it.

For some odd reason, they purposely do NOT post one on the state website, only the Resident form. No idea what it looks like (if it is different), or why not posted on the web.

I'd ask Ron Glidden, but he recently told me that he's getting overwhelmed with daily Email requests for info and is only selectively responding or digging into issues that he's asked about. [As someone who's been running a computer user group single-handed for 8 years, I do understand "burn out"!]

Back
Top Bottom