Non-Resident LTC

No problem, noshow! I'm more than happy to help others -- it's supposed to be a system of government based on the rule of law, after all, so shouldn't we all be able to know what we can and can't do based on reading the laws? (By the way, I'm not a lawyer, although I do play one on TV [wink] .) I know this particular topic is a prickly one - it took me many hours of research just to find out what little I know.

The real thanks should go to the great people at local 2A/RKBA organizations like NYSRPA, SCOPE (also NY), GOAL (MA), etc. for all the wonderful work they do. For example, I called on NYSRPA a few weeks ago re. a technical question on NYC & NYS law, and they immediately put me in touch with a knowledgeable attorney & NYSRPA member who answered my question quickly and concisely...what a great experience! If you're not already a NYSRPA member, I'd strongly request that you consider joining.

Also, I mentioned the green NYPD "hunting endorsement card" for premises-residence licensees in my previous post. The whole question of NYC premises-residence licenses and travel by licensees within NYS seems to revolve around this card, but the question I still have to nail down is: what if you're traveling to target shoot, rather than to hunt? I suspect the answer lies within §400 of the NY state penal law, but I find that a bit opaque, and I haven't (yet) found a definitive court case to help shed light on the topic. I'll post again if I can find anything; if anyone else knows the answer to this one, please let us all know.

NYC's so-called "Hunting Endorsement Card"

Also, I mentioned the green NYPD "hunting endorsement card" for premises-residence licensees in my previous post. The whole question of NYC premises-residence licenses and travel by licensees within NYS seems to revolve around this card, but the question I still have to nail down is: what if you're traveling to target shoot, rather than to hunt? I suspect the answer lies within §400 of the NY state penal law, but I find that a bit opaque, and I haven't (yet) found a definitive court case to help shed light on the topic. I'll post again if I can find anything; if anyone else knows the answer to this one, please let us all know.

The answer, now that I have my own card, is that the Hunting Authorization card permits transport of any or all of the firearms listed on the NYC premises-residence license for any lawful purpose, not just for lawful hunting. Here is the text on the card itself:

Police Department - City of N.Y. {license number, licensee information}

Hunting Authorization

This amendment to the Premise pistol license issued to the above licensee, provides for the transport of the firearm(s) indicated on said license, within New York State while unloaded and in a locked container. It shall further authorize the carry of a loaded firearm on the person, while AFIELD, actively engaged in such lawful hunting as is authorized pursuant to the New York State Fish and Wildlife Law.

This card acts as an amendment to the NYC premises-residence handgun license, expanding the lawful possession parameters per § 5-23 of Title 38 of the Rules of the City of NY, which can be found starting on page 47 of this PDF: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/permits/title38-rcny.pdf

The answer, now that I have my own card, is that the Hunting Authorization card permits transport of any or all of the firearms listed on the NYC premises-residence license for any lawful purpose, not just for lawful hunting. Here is the text on the card itself:

Police Department - City of N.Y. {license number, licensee information}

Hunting Authorization

This amendment to the Premise pistol license issued to the above licensee, provides for the transport of the firearm(s) indicated on said license, within New York State while unloaded and in a locked container. It shall further authorize the carry of a loaded firearm on the person, while AFIELD, actively engaged in such lawful hunting as is authorized pursuant to the New York State Fish and Wildlife Law.

This card acts as an amendment to the NYC premises-residence handgun license, expanding the lawful possession parameters per § 5-23 of Title 38 of the Rules of the City of NY, which can be found starting on page 47 of this PDF: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/permits/title38-rcny.pdf

Is this card still the oversized heavy paper stock that requires folding to fit your wallet? Or, has NYPD made it a plastic card as they did with the licenses? Mine is tattered and dog eared from wallet wear, so I would try to get a replacement. Thanks for your post about credit cards as well as this one[wink]

Hunting Authorization card

Is this card still the oversized heavy paper stock that requires folding to fit your wallet? Or, has NYPD made it a plastic card as they did with the licenses? Mine is tattered and dog eared from wallet wear, so I would try to get a replacement. Thanks for your post about credit cards as well as this one[wink]

Yes, it's the same oblong piece of heavy green card stock; the personal information appears to be hand-typed using a typewriter, and there is a raised seal. I'm sure if you go down to 1PP room 152 they would give you a replacement (perhaps with a fee?). Just make sure you don't laminate it!

Beach v. Kelly overturned; FOPA may not be relevant

I've edited my post #29 in this thread to report that Beach v. Kelly, the NY state Supreme Court case that seemed to extend the benefits of FOPA to NYC premises pistol licensees, was overturned. Please see my post here for the details: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=788308&postcount=17

It's getting to where it's beyond time to move out of this state!

Back
Top Bottom