Non-Res Renewal Instructions please

Can someone explain the process for a MA non-res renewal?

Mine is set to expire in February, and I haven't done anything yet.

I can certainly deal with completing the app again, and even with providing new pictures if necessary, but it's a major hassle to get fingerprinted.

I'll be in the Boston area around Christmas, so I'm wondering if it would be any easier to do this in person?

Thanks!

You need to contact the Firearms Records Bureau in Chelsea about renewal. You should not have to be fingerprinted again. Your fingerprints should be on file with the MSP Identification Section (that is the unit that processes all fireams licenses for the state)

You can probably find the information you seek at the Department of Pulbic Safety website off of www.mass.gov, Firearms Records Bureau.

If you run into any great difficulties especially regarding fingerprints please PM me.

Regards,

Mark

Mark, Has the procedure changed lately about being fingerprinted? Every time I've renewed since 1975,I had to be printed again...seems to me that after 30 years someone,somewhere should have my prints on file. :?

Just as a bit of info...In all those years the state has never notified me that it was renewal time,not once!

When I went to renew my LTC in October, the only fingerprint they took was of my right index finger. That's for the permit itself.

Gary

When I first got my permit it was just the right index finger they printed, but ever since then it's been all 10 fingers. 8) Maybe it's just local PD policy. :?

Mike,

When you renewed your Mass LTC the first time after the 1998 Gun Law, your fingerprints were sent to the Identification Section at the MSP Identication Section in Sudbury where they were run against the Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) database. After that, your fingerprints are kept on file. When you renew, those file prints are again run through AFIS. Now no system is perfect, and with thousands and thousands of fingerprint cards on file, it is possible that your prints could get lost or misplaced, it happens, BUT NOT VERY OFTEN. That would be the only time that additional sets of prints would be requested, the other being, of course if they were of low quality and were rejected.

Now it may be that your licensing department requires you to be printed each time. I have dealt with all 352 agencies that issue Firearms Licenses in the state at one time or another, and believe me, there is some ignorance out there with regard to how people should be licensed. Chief Ron Glidden has done some really great work in educating the departments and the MSP has provided instruction via information packets on how to do the fingerprints....maybe by the turn of the next century all of the departments will get it right :)

The fingerprint on your license is for identification purposes only and has nothing to do with the full set of ten prints that were taken when you applied for your license and were processed through AFIS.

Regards,

Mark

From MA FRB

Spoke with them this morning.

For a RENEWAL non-res temp. license, for a NY resident, no NY background check is required.

Application, photos, $, and index finger print on their form required.

Only way to get renewal app is to call and request one.

Quoted 4-5 week from time they receive.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom