Non res open carry

I'm going to the GPP shoot. I am a MA LTC holder and don't have a NH Non res permit. Out side of the range and at the fireworks festival how reasonable will I be treated by NH LEOs in and near Jafferey?

I can open carry a loaded gun in NH outside of a vehichle but must unload in a vehichle, correct?

I can open carry a loaded gun in NH outside of a vehichle but must unload in a vehichle, correct?

Correct...

TITLE XII
PUBLIC SAFETY AND WELFARE
CHAPTER 159
PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS
Section159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

Source. 1923, 118:4. PL 149:4. RL 179:4. 1951, 151:1. RSA 159:4. 1967, 220:3. 1973, 528:84. 1994, 48:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1995.

Note bold section. Remember to unload any mags/clips in the vehicle.

Last edited:
You dont have to unload the magazines, just drop it out and clear the chamber.

Written by Penny S. Dean, Esq. for GONH (emphasis not mine)...

The definition of a loaded and concealed pistol or revolver MAY include loaded clips or magazines. This matter has not been decided by the New Hampshire Supreme Court to the best of my knowledge, however, currently it is my understanding that at least one Superior Court has decided that an individual in possession of a new pistol and two loaded magazines was carrying a concealed firearm without a license when he had the pistol and magazines on the seat of his car...

http://gonh.org/uploads/images/29/FAQ_3-9-10.pdf

Almost makes the $100 Non-resident NH permit worth getting, just to avoid all the hassle every time you get in a car. Almost.

As I read it: A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges.

But that might just be my MA tin foil hat-ness.

As I read it: A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges.

But that might just be my MA tin foil hat-ness.

Like Kevlar said, the law is ambiguous with regard to loaded magazines and that ambiguity has not been ruled on by a court of law. As a result it would be wise to err of the side of caution lest you wish to potentially become a test case. Or you could pony up the $100 for the NR permit and never have to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom