Non-jacketed 9mm ammo for indoor range use???

I'm looking to get some non-jacketed reloadable 9mm ammo for the indoor range at my club. Anyone know the best places and cost?

Thanks

Dicks sells cast lead 9mm in boxes of 250 (red/white/blue box). Not sure what quality of brass you will find in the box...I got one box with a round that had a small crack in the side of the case YMMV.

Went to dicks today in Danvers but they didn't have anything. I think there's one in saugus...I'll try them tomorrow. Thanks

I picked up a bunch of Winchester SXZ9 from Bass Pro a month or so ago for my club's indoor range. Haven't tried it yet, since I try to shoot outside as much as possible and probably won't get into this batch until winter.

Your best bet would be to see if M+M reloads sells some 9mm jacketed lead.

Most of the commercially reloaded lead pistol ammo sucks, though... you're better off in the long run doing it yourself.

-Mike

They had some at the Saugus store in the back (which makes me believe they probably had some in danvers but the kid just didn't know) so I picked up a box.

Took the Glock to the range tonight and out of my ten round mags, they'd jam up at least twice each mag load...wow...but I got to shoot so I was still happier than with no ammo :)

Brings me to the next question, which I'll have to post in a separate topic...I have "everything" to reload, but not in 9mm. It's been years since my father reloaded and we're behind in the technology, etc. So what would be the best dye's to pick up? Rolled vs taper, etc...and would it be better to buy casted rather then cast my own with prices out there??? Any good info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Johnny

Johnny, if your dad is rusty with reloading skills, and has no experience with pistol rounds, then you are better off starting from scratch with regard to knowledge. I have send you a PM with info regarding my reloading classes.

They had some at the Saugus store in the back (which makes me believe they probably had some in danvers but the kid just didn't know) so I picked up a box.

Took the Glock to the range tonight and out of my ten round mags, they'd jam up at least twice each mag load...wow...but I got to shoot so I was still happier than with no ammo :)

Brings me to the next question, which I'll have to post in a separate topic...I have "everything" to reload, but not in 9mm. It's been years since my father reloaded and we're behind in the technology, etc. So what would be the best dye's to pick up? Rolled vs taper, etc...and would it be better to buy casted rather then cast my own with prices out there??? Any good info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Johnny

this.

The Dick's stuff works, but man it's dirty.

Or, I should have said, just 9mm RNL.... M+M has QC problems once in awhile, but their stuff is far less problematic than the Ultramax. Every ultramax bulk pack lead box will have several rounds in it that don't come close to passing a case gauge. If someone does use it, they should get a case gauge and check it out, and set all the "bad" ones aside. One guy that was using it awhile ago at the pin shoots (ultramax 45 230 rNL) was getting a bad jam with it every third magazine or so.

-Mike

Or, I should have said, just 9mm RNL.... M+M has QC problems once in awhile, but their stuff is far less problematic than the Ultramax. Every ultramax bulk pack lead box will have several rounds in it that don't come close to passing a case gauge. If someone does use it, they should get a case gauge and check it out, and set all the "bad" ones aside. One guy that was using it awhile ago at the pin shoots (ultramax 45 230 rNL) was getting a bad jam with it every third magazine or so.

-Mike

I had Ultamax primer problems a while back.It was about 12% BAD PRIMERS

resurrecting the thread...

Has anyone seen this elusive ammo in Ma?
Need some for the indoor range myself. I know someone grabbed like 2000 rounds in the classifieds about month ago...missed it by seconds.

Cabela's is listing these:

Bulk 9mm Luger Ammunition - 125-Grain Round-Nose Lead Item:2UG-216743 $74.99 – $264.99

I have no personal experience with them

resurrecting the thread...

Has anyone seen this elusive ammo in Ma?
Need some for the indoor range myself. I know someone grabbed like 2000 rounds in the classifieds about month ago...missed it by seconds.

M+M Reloads was at the Marlboro gun show. Not sure if they were selling lead, or not. It's not THAT elusive. It's just lead ammo. Sometimes FS has "Bullseye" brand lead reloads too... although M+M is going to be a way better deal.

-Mike

Cabelas has been back ordered since this past summer.

You'd be surprised at how elusive it is. Been calling around for months...

I'll call M&M. Didn't think of that, thank you gents.

Gun and Sport north, in Salem NH (rt 28) across the street from KFC/A&W (think that's the right name) has some once fired 9mm 115gr boxes. i heard that guy has been a jerk to a couple of people on a couple of different situations though. i don't like dealing with people who never seem to be in a good mood.

Johnny, if your dad is rusty with reloading skills, and has no experience with pistol rounds, then you are better off starting from scratch with regard to knowledge. I have send you a PM with info regarding my reloading classes.

Kittery offers some reloading classes as well, I'm not sure how deep you get into it, its free and looks to be worth while.

The Kittery "Introduction to Reloading Class" is merely a way for them to develop an interest in reloading, so that you buy some equipment from them. It's not even close to the nature of my class.
I don't sell equipment, and have no vested interest like KTP does.
My class is a full day, hands on, and covers tons of topics that Kittery's quick introduction doesn't have time to cover.

And, you get to take home ammo that you loaded in my class. And, copies of my book and the NRA Reloading Guide. You damn well don't get that at Kittery.

Kittery offers some reloading classes as well, I'm not sure how deep you get into it, its free and looks to be worth while.

I'm looking to get some non-jacketed reloadable 9mm ammo for the indoor range at my club. Anyone know the best places and cost?

Thanks

Have you considered the "lead-free" route at all? I've been reloading the SinterFire frangibles with good success and reasonable cost. They are lighter than standard lead/jacketed fodder, but you reduce all lead exposure and reduce ricochet hazards. The 100g 9mm runs about $150/1000...
http://sinterfire.com/benefits-of-lead-free-frangible-components.html

Last edited:
Here's another possibility, but it is loaded in berdan-primed brass, I believe...
The Swedish 9mm m/39 Indoor round. You've probably seen those blue trapezoidal boxes with the 6-row stripper clips that are for the m45 kpist. It won't cycle your pistol, but they do put the bb on target.
http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/kpist/swede_45.htm
Go down about 4/5ths of the page.

I know you all get tired of me promoting lead-free bullets like Sinterfire and such, but even if you don't reload, the ammunition is available via several manufacturers. SBR has a lead-free, frangible as does Prvi Partizan and Fiocchi/RWS/RUAG.
Perhaps Wal-Mart can special order the RWS product since they have distribution agreements with them.
http://prvipartizan.com/frangible.php
http://www.ruag.com/Ammotec/Defence_and_Law_Enforcement/Background_information/Frangible_Ammunition
http://sinterfire.com/

Hunters Supply in Weymouth sells 9mm non jacket reloads. $14 per box but save the brass and box turn it back in and it's $12 per box the next time. Fairly clean but very good quality.

Back
Top Bottom