• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-Civil Service towns offering exam or hiring?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for non-civil service towns that are accepting applications and possibly hiring in the near future. I have found one town so far on masscops.com. If you guys know of any veteran friendly(or not) towns that are hiring let me know please.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm looking for non-civil service towns that are accepting applications and possibly hiring in the near future. I have found one town so far on masscops.com. If you guys know of any veteran friendly(or not) towns that are hiring let me know please.

Thanks!

Check town websites. Make friends with a dispatcher to check job files... If it exists anymore

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Check town websites. Make friends with a dispatcher to check job files... If it exists anymore

I don't know the answer but I'm going to respond with a question that might help.

Is there a list of CS towns? Perhaps wherever you find the website with info on taking the police CS test?

If so, DL that list and bounce it against a list of every city/town in MA that has a police department. Those that fall out would by your target locations.

Good luck.

Take a look at campus depts? I'm sure you already have if your aware of non civil service towns. Glad I'm not the only one stuck in this endless game of apply, wait, apply, wait, apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want a career as LEO in MA? Best way is to find another career and just hope you don't burn half your working years waiting for that phone call to interview

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I have to stay in Mass, previous to this post I looked up all non civil service towns and started on the websites. I just wanted to check and see anyone knew any off hand.

Concord
Carlisle
Weston
Boxboro
Harvard
Stow
Bolton
Littleton
Ayer
Shirley
Groton
Pepperell
Townsend
Ashby
Tyngsboro

These are a few non civil services towns that I could remember.

A few more

Hopkinton
Holliston
Wellesley
Lincoln
Southborough
Westborough

Google will usually produce a full list of all towns not civil service. As far as campus give it a shot but it usually helps to know someone. As it is with all civil service towns they don't have to hire you over someone else because your more qualified or got a better score..so having a in or knowing someone helps

If you contact the Commonwealth Civil Service regarding employment they have the list that breaks down the all communities by civil service, non civil service, and the maximum age limits for the towns. It comes with your civil service application package.

Getting hired in a non civil service town is tough unless you have the right connections. A lot of time it comes down to personality, who you know, and who you know. A town that will remain nameless, the chief hired his brother right out of the academy even though there were people on the list for years. Same thing in Braintree with the fire department. The Ag got involved when the chief hired his nephew over 75 people in front of him. So a lot of it the non cs towns are jobs programs for friends and relatives. Also since the selectmen can fire you, they want themselves and their friends and family to be taken care of (no tickets, no arrests) so they are looking for people they know to play the game. The selectman from Lancaster tried to pull that crap on a friend if mine that was a Fitchburg cop when he got caught speeding.

My advice to you if you are a veteran is to move to a larger community that is civil service and apply there. Quincy is pretty steady on hiring since the place is about 100k people now. Also check Fitchburg state, the va on usajobs.gov, and umass in Amherst.

Last edited:
CS Municipality List for Police: Police Information Civil Service

Every other town is non-CS. Remember, MGL 41/99A requires living within a 15 mile radius of the town you work in. Unless you plan on moving, start with neighboring towns and work your way out.

There is legislation that being voted on that fixes this. The PFFM led the battle on this.

Back
Top Bottom