No shooting on Sundays?

RB101

NES Member
Just got off the phone with a prospective gun club I am/was debating signing up for. The "president" said because of some local/city (he wasn't REALLY clear) ordinance there was no shooting on Sundays?
Is this common for other clubs? I know there is no hunting on Sunday's, but all the other clubs I have been a member of, at one time or another, I don't remember this ever being a problem?
Local town ordinance perhaps?
That sucks, the reality is, that's about 50% of my shooting time..?? Really has me rethinking things unfortunately. Anyone have or heard of this problem?

Last edited:
Never heard of it, but you can check here to see if there's such a bylaw in that town. Might also just have been something the club has worked out with the town independently though. Which club is it?

Rockdale in Northbridge. It's cheap, and was described as 'just a sandpit' over the phone. That's fine, it gets the job done, but I had never heard of the Sunday issue?
I shoot now, almost every Sunday at another club?
Dampers my night a tad...have to rethink this.

Mansfield F&G, Braintree R&P, and Ames R&P (IIRC here) - all only allow shooting in the afternoons on Sundays/Holidays.

Again, IIRC, Ames R&P prohibits all shooting on Christmas Day and Easter Sunday.

Mansfield F&G has a restriction on 2 holidays and if people come to the September meeting and vote for the By-Law changes, I'm pretty sure that restriction will become history.

Sharon (both clubs) allow shooting on Sunday mornings.

It's mostly a "restriction" by the clubs to appease their neighbors. I doubt that more than a handful of towns actually have a legal restriction in their By-Laws.

Whereabouts are you located in centeral Mass ? North, middle or southern ? With a little bit more info we could steer you to a more reasonable club.

A lot of towns have some sort of by-law prohibiting outdoor shooting during certain hours on Sundays. They're a remnant of the blue laws.

Ken

I'm out in the Northbridge area. I get around and do a fair amount of shooting as is (AFS, Hopedale), but this place is literally right down the street from me, hence the appeal. I didn't know it existed until recently when someone asked about it on the forum, and since then I've been looking into the place.
Like I said, whether it is my ignorance, or 'luck' in places I've been shooting this far, never heard of flat out NO shooting on Sundays. Restricted hours yes, but not no shooting whatsoever?
Thanks for the info. gang-

when I joined they mentioned that to me as well. I was informed it was an "agreement" they made with the town. The person who told me said they "think" it had something to do with the town sports field and the cemetary visitors calling on sundays about gun shots. he wasn't sure, but it was something that someone told him.

BTW: I too live in Northbridge, near the top of Hill and Sutton streets.

Just got off the phone with a prospective gun club I am/was debating signing up for. The "president" said because of some local/city (he wasn't REALLY clear) ordinance there was no shooting on Sundays?
Is this common for other clubs? I know there is no hunting on Sunday's, but all the other clubs I have been a member of, at one time or another, I don't remember this ever being a problem?
Local town ordinance perhaps?
That sucks, the reality is, that's about 50% of my shooting time..?? Really has me rethinking things unfortunately. Anyone have or heard of this problem?
Harvard Sportsmans allows shooting from 9a.m. till dusk. on Suday's.
8 till dusk the rest of the week.

dawn to dusk at the current club I am at. But on Sundays I now have set a rule for myself that I will not shoot before 10AM. I fire on a avg. of 400 rounds or more on Sundays. The area was just used to a few shoots ALL DAY before I became a member. There was even reports of automatic gun fire from the club since no one shot as much as I do before...opps.

Back
Top Bottom