No NH CCW: carry concealed with mag in other pocket?

Reptile

NES Member
I don't go to NH too much. If I go and carry a handgun concealed but carry the mag separately - is that legal?

I would carry appendix with the mag in my pocket.

Stupid question: Why not just get a NH permit? They're not expensive or onerous to get.

While $100 is not huge amounts of money, it has been the barrier for me for a couple months. I am in the same boat as Reptile and have carried this way in NH. Hated it and now that circumstances are changing I will be putting in for the permit closely followed by AZ which is almost the same as Utah at 1/3 the cost (no class required).

I did go to VT this weekend and it went like this. MA- normal carry, drive to NH and unload just before border, after meeting friends there continue to VT and back to normal carry. Came home via 91 so I didn't have to unload.

Well, for some of us here $100 is a good chunk of change.

Agreed, but you are far away from the border. Those near the border of any state where they aren't permitted get paranoid pretty quickly. So to those in that situation it is worth it for peace of mind.

I know of what I speak as I rarely go to Maine, but the year I vacationed at the rotary in Portsmouth (you can almost spit and hit ME from there) I was totally paranoid as I started driving (I've had a NH license for years but didn't have a ME one when this happened), since one wrong turn and you are illegal. That's when I decided to pay the fee and get my ME license too.

Agreed, but you are far away from the border. Those near the border of any state where they aren't permitted get paranoid pretty quickly. So to those in that situation it is worth it for peace of mind.

This is why I applied to get my NH permit. I am 2 mi. from NH and half the places I go are in NH. (Can't CC at the mall if the closest one is in NH!)

This is why I applied to get my NH permit. I am 2 mi. from NH and half the places I go are in NH. (Can't CC at the mall if the closest one is in NH!)

Why can't you ccw at the mall?? I do it when I go there.

I've had a MA LTC since September of 2000 and I just got my NH non-resident license last year. I'm currently still waiting on my ME non-res. They cashed my check in early August. [hmmm]

For many years I rarely left MA. In the past few years I've been getting off my ass and getting up to NH, VT or ME more often so to me, it's worth it to throw down $100 for NH and $60 for ME.

I am in the same boat as Reptile and have carried this way in NH. Hated it and now that circumstances are changing I will be putting in for the permit closely followed by AZ which is almost the same as Utah at 1/3 the cost (no class required).

I thought about additional state licenses such as FL, UT or AZ as well. The reality is it wasn't worth the cost for me. If you already have MA and NH adding AZ only gets you - OH, VA, WI, NM, NE and DE. States I haven't set foot in for 5+ years so I just can't justify the expense. ME gives you DE and NE and you can't get ME on a UT, FL or AZ license anyway so I ended up with ME, MA and NH. I guess if I traveled more to states that have reciprocity I might do it. For me travel mostly consists of CA, CO and NY and they all suck :)

I don't go to NH too much. If I go and carry a handgun concealed but carry the mag separately - is that legal?

I would carry appendix with the mag in my pocket.

What good is it to carry the handgun if it isn't loaded?

You'd be better off to carry an impact tool.

You've been to ECQC and should know better...

I can think of plenty of situations where it can do plenty of good.

I'm listening....

Do you ever carry a spare magazine? If so, why? If you do, or you can answer the why, then the answer to your question should be obvious.

Yes I do; in case the primary magazine malfunctions or runs dry.

Please help me connect the dots...

This really isn't that complicated. Give it another thought, and if you still can't connect the dots I'll help you out.

Please do.

Explain to me how carrying a firearm in a lower state of readiness increases a person’s ability to effectively defend themselves?

Please do.

Explain to me how carrying a firearm in a lower state of readiness increases a person’s ability to effectively defend themselves?

As opposed to not carrying a firearm at all? Now you are just changing the subject. You seem to be capable of understanding you can use a spare magazine to reload a firearm, it shouldn't be too hard to understand that an unloaded firearm can be loaded also.

What good is it to carry the handgun if it isn't loaded?

Please do.

Okay. For example you are in a shopping mall and someone starts shooting up the place...not right next to you but you can hear the shots or even see the guy in the distance.

I would say in my example carrying a pistol unloaded increases a person's ability to effectively defend themselves dramatically. It only takes a few seconds to load the pistol and after those few seconds the person is way better of than having no firearm to be ready to engage the thread.

Do you need more examples?

Yeah, I thought post 16 kinda got that point across. At least most of us here get it.

Last edited:
Okay. For example you are in a shopping mall and someone starts shooting up the place...not right next to you but you can hear the shots or even see the guy in the distance.

I would say in my example carrying a pistol unloaded increases a person's ability to effectively defend themselves dramatically. It only takes a few seconds to load the pistol and after those few seconds the person is way better of than having no firearm to be ready to engage the thread.

Do you need more examples?

In your example, I'm getting the hell outta there, so a stapler would be just as useful to me. Your scenario smells of CCW sash fantasy land. If you ever need your defensive pistol, the chances are that you'll have less than 3 seconds to assess, draw, re-assess, and fire. I sweat the thought that I'm not fast enough to do this with a loaded pistol with one in the pipe, and I practice to be fast enough. Add inserting a loaded mag and racking the slide? No thank you.

Last edited:

You haven't convinced me that jibbr71's response isn't a better course of action.

In your example, I'm getting the hell outta there...

However, riding home this afternoon and thinking about this more, I realized that the rifle in the back of my truck isn't loaded (per the law) but a magazine is readily available.

I'll retract may statement of, "What good is it to carry the handgun if it isn't loaded?".

I'll retract may statement of, "What good is it to carry the handgun if it isn't loaded?".

While it's true that carrying an unloaded gun might have use in some situations, carrying a loaded gun is useful in those and plenty more. If you have thousands of dollars invested in guns, ammo, training, etc, isn't it worth another $20/ year to get the NH permit?

You could always OC it. no license required. I do, on rare occasion - but almost always when I'm walking/jogging with one or both of my kids. It just ain't comfortable CCing when you're being physical.

Only issue then is vehicle carry where you'd be required by law to unchamber the round and remove the magazine...

Back
Top Bottom