• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No battery radio recommendation?

yogi

NES Member
Looking for a no battery radio with a usb connector that can power small electronics. Any advice on a good one would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have an Eton crank radio that works pretty well. I've only done some quick experiments to see if it would actually charge a phone - it does, but it would take a LOT of cranking...
Eton Microlink

The thing you have to remember with these devices is that the rechargeable batteries in them are not of good quality. I've had a few of them. They work real well at first but after being stored for long periods with the batteries discharged they need almost constant cranking to operate. I have more than a few envelope batteries charged to operate it should I need to.

the trick to getting maximum battery life out of a battery powered radio, disposable or rechargeable, is to use headphones. Most of the power consumption goes towards speaker amplification and headphones require very little amplification

Thanks all....some great info. Appreciate it. When I finally get one, I will make sure I pass on the info.

I have an eton as well and use eneloop rechargeable batteries in it. Also a small solar charger.

Looking for a no battery radio with a usb connector that can power small electronics. Any advice on a good one would be appreciated. Thanks.

A little off topic, but if you just want something to power small devices, the Biolite stove works great. Been using one at my son's boyscout trips for 2 yrs now. Here is their website http://biolitestove.com/

I ended up with Eton microlink fr160. I have only had it for a couple of days but thought I would give my first impressions: 1) build quality is good/better but it comes with warnings that it can't handle water, 2) very easy to operate and got it charged quickly to operate the flashlight and radio, 3) radio reception in my area is spotty but the weatherbands were excellent and a couple of music stations were acceptable, 4) speaker is very good for its size and was clear of status/distortion , 5) flashlight is a nice touch and bright and usable, 6) size makes it very portable (pic below shows it next to pez dispenser). Have not tried usb charging or charging via solar. For the price, it's a nice unit.

image.jpg image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom