No acorns this year?

I have been out hunting my normal areas this year and normally there are lots of arorns. Some years its raining them constantly this year none at all. I have heard that they go in a 2 year cycle and last year there seemed to be lots of them. Are others noticing this or is this just in my area?
There are beach nuts out there but the turkeys maybe getting to them as well.

I've noticed that as well. I have 3 large oak trees just behind my house and every year since I moved in 6 years ago my yard has been carpeted with them. This year I haven't seen a single one. I have no clue why....

Just did my good deed for the day. Old timer in his 70's called in and said they shot two deer with in 50 yards of where I was set up opening day. First was 7 point buck guessing 130lbs and second was 100lbs doe. Said the buck walked up with in 20 yards of him and he dropped it. His friend came over and they were field dressing it and doe walked in to see where her boyfriend was and the other guy took that.
They were about 1 1/2 miles in off the road with lots of hills to cross. Connected up a trailer to my 4 wheeler and they picked them up in front of my house. Did this for them a few years back with one 4 pointer. They asked if I minded doing it and said that I would rather do that then hawl them out after a heart attack.
I can't complain though they have put their time in this season and every other one too. I'll keep trying and hope for the best. Sometimes good karma pays off who knows.

Just did my good deed for the day. Old timer in his 70's called in and said they shot two deer with in 50 yards of where I was set up opening day. First was 7 point buck guessing 130lbs and second was 100lbs doe. Said the buck walked up with in 20 yards of him and he dropped it. His friend came over and they were field dressing it and doe walked in to see where her boyfriend was and the other guy took that.
They were about 1 1/2 miles in off the road with lots of hills to cross. Connected up a trailer to my 4 wheeler and they picked them up in front of my house. Did this for them a few years back with one 4 pointer. They asked if I minded doing it and said that I would rather do that then hawl them out after a heart attack.
I can't complain though they have put their time in this season and every other one too. I'll keep trying and hope for the best. Sometimes good karma pays off who knows.

I'd say the karma should come back in the form of venison steaks!..[smile]

I have a friend that is a real animal lover and has to feed everything. He has been feeding the turkeys in his yard and showed me where they are not eating the corn thats not cracked. His are getting fat and real lazy. I did spook about 6 to 8 of them on the way riding out this afternoon. Have heard from other that they thought the turkeys were going to start being competition for the deer for food. I really don't know if they will eat the acorns or not but heard they will the beach nuts. They are shredding the leaves in areas looking though.
Someone told me the turkeys are eating them all.

No acorns in any of our spots in Maine this year, and I haven't found any at my place in NH either. Might be a rough winter for the deer if they don't fatten up on something else and we get as much cold/snow as last year.

Last year I used the lawn mower a few times to make an acorn minigun, this year, not so much. Interesting.

I think it had to do with our rainy spring & summer. We never had any dry period more than a few days all through 2011. I think it washed off the pollen, or something like that, so the oak trees couldn't create acorns (fruit).

not one damn acorn on my lawn from my four prized white oaks this year. The past two years its been like walking on ball bearings. So much easier to clean the lawn and no deer damage to the grass

I had a good number of acorns on the little hill behind my house this year. But I think most have been eaten/hidden by now.
The deer are still moving through, as the prints are still showing up in the beach sand that covers that area.

Back
Top Bottom