Night Vision - options?

Here in MA, "artificial lights for hunting any bird or mammal except raccoon and opossum" are prohibited. I take that to mean, night vision options that are dependent upon an illuminator cannot be used.

I'm looking at target sizes ranging from rabbit to coyotes, and figuring shots being limited to a maximum 50 yards. With that considered, what options are available?

Illumination is really only useful close up or indoors when using NVG's, unless you're talking about a large IR spotlight or something. Honestly, if you've got good moonlight, the cheap ones from ATN work alright. You definitely won't get Gen 3 results, but it's better than nothing and won't set you back a few grand.

What are you using for an optic? Unless you are looking for a standalone NV rifle scope your optic will dictate what you can use. For example with a magnified scope you'd use something like a PVS-22 and for a red dot a PVS-14. I don't think anything less than a gen 3 will have the resolution to see a rabbit at that distance.

Oops, I failed to realize you were planning on using the night vision inline with a scope. Yeah, for that you'll probably need Gen 3.

I haven't chosen an optic yet, but any scope would be low power. How would the red dot vs. non-illuminated scope reticle work out, with either a PVS-22 or PVS-14? Bear in mind, I'm thinking of doing this with an M&P15-22. ;)

At that price, I may have to give that a shot. (sic) I can see my wife wondering why I'm putting some sort of movie camera on HER rifle.

Just watched a few tests on YouTube - they seem pretty decent for the money - here's my favorite reviewer - prepare yourself for his professional style and utter knowledge of the subject - truly awe inspiring...

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly wouldn't waste your money with Gen 1. Unless you have perfect moonlight and a clear sky, you ain't seeing shight. PVS-22's are notorious for POI/POA issues so I would throw that out. If you are going to invest your money, I would recommend a Gen 2+ dedicated scope such as the M845 or ATN Arrow. If you are cost conscious, you could also consider a Grade B blem PVS-14 that is Gen 3. You can pick one up for ~$2k ish. It won't be perfect but at least it gets you into Gen 3 technology. The PVS-14 is portable so you can mount it on a helmet or gun. Either/or will be great match for a M&P22.

I personally would steer clear of ebay for an item like this. It's not work the $1k in savings to get a tube with a questionable history. You have no idea how many hours are on the tube or how rough of a life it lead. Better off going new with a reputable company. TNVC has some of their in-house built PVS-14 units for around $2800 - http://tnvc.com/shop/tnvpvs-14-itt-gen3-pinnacle/ but that isn't recommended to work with a magnified scope. They do have a Gen 2 riflescope in the same $$ range.

Also I still question whether a Gen 1 unit would have any value outside of being a toy to toss on your rifle. The light amplification of Gen 1 is absolutely horrible and you're going to always need IR illumination to make them function well. Also you never mentioned what caliber rifle this is to go on. If it's any more than 5.56 you might have issues with tube life and there is a reason that these things are expensive :)

Update: I haven't done anything with NV yet, but...

Now that I've spent more time in the field at night, and being restricted to using a shotgun or .22LR at night, I'm thinking a Gen1 just might work for me, with the intended target being the size of a coyote, and inside 50 yards. The ATN MK 410 or Yukon NVRS Tactical would be within my budget right now. It's got to be better than Hi-Viz open sights?

I'm going to forego the expensive, day/night option for now. ATN has some new products on their way (PS-28, X-Sight), which likely won't make it to market before the end of our coyote season. So that will leave me time to save up for a better option, and see how the products fair in reviews.

Last edited:
I use a ATN Palladin. It's Gen 1, but I have A stream light stinger mounted with infrared lens cover. Without the light it's good to 40 yards. With the light it's good for eyes out to 150, and shots at 80.

I use a ATN Palladin. It's Gen 1, but I have A stream light stinger mounted with infrared lens cover. Without the light it's good to 40 yards. With the light it's good for eyes out to 150, and shots at 80.

Any issues with it operating in sub-freezing temps? The ATN 390 and 410 seem very similar, with the 410 having slighly greater magnification but with less less light.

I personally would steer clear of ebay for an item like this. It's not work the $1k in savings to get a tube with a questionable history. You have no idea how many hours are on the tube or how rough of a life it lead. Better off going new with a reputable company. TNVC has some of their in-house built PVS-14 units for around $2800

I purchased two gen 3 units of eBay and both tubes seemed dark like old stock. That said returning and selling them back was easy with PayPal.

sent from my NSA approved phone

Just watched a few tests on YouTube - they seem pretty decent for the money - here's my favorite reviewer - prepare yourself for his professional style and utter knowledge of the subject - truly awe inspiring...

He put a $500 optic on an $89 gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom