• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nicest Sportsmans Clubs in New England

Danvers is a nice club in regards to the grounds, club house and ranges. Now all you have to do is make 24hrs ditch the RO's and fudd's. Believe it or not for all the fudd reports at DFG the actually had a small spot on the outdoor range that was made for drawing from holster. I used to go there all the time and run shot timer drills drawing from iwb and no one ever gave me any shit. The RO just wanted to see your draw empty to make sure you weren't an idiot.

I have not.
I ask because I was by Woburn the other day and was impressed by the archery stand and outdoor range stalls.
Just a quick peek from the clubhouse at the outdoor range to the left. Would like a tour just for S&G.
I stopped renewing my membership. The only time I interacted with a employee etc. The guy was a bit rude to me. And then I asked why I even go there.

On the positive side. It is 24/7 club. Lots and lots of rules. Never any problems. But I didn't like that rude employee, so I said F it.
They switched to a stupid online payment system that didn't work and was broke. After 15 min I gave up. And wanted to give them my money to support the club, but they made it difficult. They simply would not accept cash or a check any longer. This club is also too busy sometimes. But 11pm it's empty etc.

I've heard rumors about a multi year long wait list for a gun club in Andover?
It's that way most places. I can't even get into the podunk club north of me. Have to wait for someone to die as morbid as that might be. Being from NH I have no personal interest in MA, RI, ME, or VT clubs other than what I'm missing out on.

Even though I'm an hour + from Harvard, I continually think about joining.
Just because of the 200 yard range.
And they have steel.

The run and gun action pit is news to me though.
Makes me want to join more now.
Harvard has a 300 yard range too. And yes, the numerous action pits are some of the best in the state. Hopkinton is also a very good club though, with pits and a 200y.

Harvard and Londonderry

Facilities are very similar

But Londonderry gets the edge for the best “mind your own business” “no fudds allowed” rule
Does Londonderry have a wait list? This could very well influence where I move in a few years.

He also wants to kick out the current president and make it harder to join the club.

I don't know what the F is going on with Granby.

I can't renew on-line (only allows full re-up and re-quals) and they refuse to respond to my requests. Member for years.

Sent them hundreds of dollars multiple times to their legal fund. Paid and renewed every year despite the ranges being essentially closed. Drove out there to support them at several of the hearings.

Sad ... and a bit ticked.

Last edited:
Description?
Springfield sportsman has a small clubhouse and OK size parking lot with 2 skeet, 1 trap and 1 five-stand I believe. They also do sporting clays around the property.
You leave that area and go down the road a little to an electric gate that takes you down to a 100yd rifle range with 10+ stations. Then there's 6 pistol pits with your own table,bench,roof. They just did something with the plinking area too but not sure what.
Down the road a little to another gate and you have their 300yd+ range! I think some additional targets in the trees are 400yds.
There's also an archery area too on the other side of the street! No indoor ranges. Oh and at the 100yd range area I get no cell reception which is always nice.

Last edited:
Harvard has a 300 yard range too. And yes, the numerous action pits are some of the best in the state. Hopkinton is also a very good club though, with pits and a 200y.

Does Londonderry have a wait list? This could very well influence where I move in a few years.
Unfortunately a very long waiting list , so long that even the waiting list is closed so you have to wait to get on the wait list

Unfortunately a very long waiting list , so long that even the waiting list is closed so you have to wait to get on the wait list
I remember when I was trying to join Reading. I was on a waiting list for 6 years, LOL. No one ever called me until one day a NES member told me too many people had died or left the club and they opened membership. He helped me apply and get in the club.

So much for waiting lists.

I think Pelham used to have a list as well. I out my name on the list every year for 3 or 4 years, or whoever I remembered, almost 10 years ago. LOL.

Waiting lists are a joke.

You guys should visit a gun range in the south. The 2 I’ve been to in Georgia were immaculate. Everything looks brand new compared to the grandfathered stuff we’re used to in MA.

You guys should visit a gun range in the south. The 2 I’ve been to in Georgia were immaculate. Everything looks brand new compared to the grandfathered stuff we’re used to in MA.
Yes I know. I looked at Plantation? Which is public but also fairly close to family.

When I lived in Pepperell, MA I was a member of Townsend Rod and Gun. Below is from their site. I kinda miss the place but very happy here on the North Shore.

• 100 yard rifle and 50 yard pistol ranges: Outdoor, covered ranges with 16 stations each, with a variety of metal targets are also available. These ranges are equipped with a down range warning system to coordinate shooters on safety.
  • Trap Range: With central trap house and manual clay pigeon trap pulls. We have seasonal trap shooting events on Sunday mornings and Thursday nights.
  • 80 yard outdoor archery range, 3D archery course and pro-shop cabin for repairs and tune-ups.
  • 20 yard Indoor archery and air rifle range. Great for winter practice.
  • Handmade log cabin on our primitive black powder range: We have scheduled black powder events every third Sunday of each month all year long.
  • Stocked trout pond and stream-fed bass pond: Fish one of our derbies and you’ll be hooked.
  • Onsite kitchen: Enjoy a hot meal from our kitchen crew during select events.
  • Over 300 acers of private land for hunting.
  • Miles of trails for: Walking dogs, mountain biking, horse back riding and off road vehicles.
  • A specific area for camping and fires.
I’m a member here, great club clean facilities. You can’t bring your own steel but they have a bunch setup in the pistol range and plate hung at the end of the rifle range. Unfortunately the rifle range is only 100yd. They have a small action pit and have been discussing adding more action pits in the future.

Super cheap too, like $150 a year, they have a covered pavilion by the trout pond with charcoal grills provided. I spend quite a bit of time hanging there with my wife and kids.

Last edited:
FFS I don't know how much clearer I can be.
The actual physical attributes of the club.
NOT the members, neighbors, ROs, or any other living beings.
Reading comprehension 101

This is why we can't have nice discussions.

OK, so what your really asking is what club has the most diverse ranges and looks like a golf course ?

That would be Pelham.

and I already know you don't care to know but we have over 1800 members and we sit on about 340 acres. No wait list.

I remember when I was trying to join Reading. I was on a waiting list for 6 years, LOL. No one ever called me until one day a NES member told me too many people had died or left the club and they opened membership. He helped me apply and get in the club.

So much for waiting lists.

I think Pelham used to have a list as well. I out my name on the list every year for 3 or 4 years, or whoever I remembered, almost 10 years ago. LOL.

Waiting lists are a joke.
That's crazy, when I joined Reading a few years ago I got right in. No mention of a waiting list, I must have just got lucky and applied after it was lifted.

How hard could it possibly be to start a gun club from scratch in massachusetts?

It can't be impossible...

Sounds like there is demand for a high quality. Check all the boxes , gun club with very clean bathrooms

OK, so what your really asking is what club has the most diverse ranges and looks like a golf course ?

That would be Pelham.

and I already know you don't care to know but we have over 1800 members and we sit on about 340 acres. No wait list.
Any relationship to the pelham border riders snowmobile club I saw online?

That would be Pelham.

And that club would be.....????

Honestly this isn't that hard.
I'm a member at or I've been to xyz club and it has this that and the other. Rate them.
Every place can't be a dump but I'm not seeing the Taj thing here either.

How hard could it possibly be to start a gun club from scratch in massachusetts?

It can't be impossible...

Sounds like there is demand for a high quality. Check all the boxes , gun club with very clean bathrooms
Not impossible but very costly I'd imagine without a grandfathered location.

Back
Top Bottom