• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nice Light .30-06 Load for 100 Yards. But...

Mountain

NES Member
What about 200 yards?

IMG_0246.jpg

edit- Good gawd I hate how iPhones can't post a pic upright...
Sierra #2110 .308 110 gr. HP's. 20.0 gr IMR 4198.
Shot from my 1903 NM, 100 yards. I really have to lob these things, so the accuracy was a little surprising.

Here's the rifle, for reference:

1 NM 0.1.jpg

And here's a 100 yard target shot with my usual 168 SMK Garand loads, group size minus the flyer via mac1911's software:

1 NM SR-1 Target group size.jpg

What say the forum regarding shooting the light loads at 200 yards for a CMP match? Pushed to the next target via the lightest of winds? In rapids, I'll run out of time waiting for the bullets to hit? Joking, of course, but these things are like shooting a 22LR. Likely to start flying all over the place at 200? They do great at 100. I don't have a chrony...

Last edited:
What about 200 yards?

View attachment 193203

edit- Good gawd I hate how iPhones can't post a pic upright...
Sierra #2110 .308 110 gr. HP's. 20.0 gr IMR 4198.
Shot from my 1903 NM, 100 yards. I really have to lob these things, so the accuracy was a little surprising.

Here's the rifle, for reference:

View attachment 193205

And here's a 100 yard target shot with my usual 168 SMK Garand loads, group size minus the flyer via mac1911's software:

View attachment 193206

What say the forum regarding shooting the light loads at 200 yards for a CMP match? Pushed to the next target via the lightest of winds? In rapids, I'll run out of time waiting for the bullets to hit? Joking, of course, but these things are like shooting a 22LR. Likely to start flying all over the place at 200? They do great at 100. I don't have a chrony...

Any idea of the velocity on those...what did you have to set the rear sight to @ 100

Any idea of the velocity on those...what did you have to set the rear sight to @ 100

Bad of me, but I forget the sight setting- I could eyeball it perhaps. I was in a rush to find a setting for my standard Garand loads to be in the black at that first Pembroke match I was able to shoot it. When getting ready for a 200 yard match, I put my standard loads about 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" high at 100 and that works pretty good for center at 200. Would be better to have a 200 yard range. For the light loads, the sight was up about twice as far as normal for a ~2600 to 2700 fpm load at 100 yards. Probably no way to know the velocity without a chronograph. If I had the velocity, I could calculate drop and drift. Maybe I'll make some guesses at the velocity and play around with some software. This 4198 light load is known but not that common.

I have one of the old PJ O'Hare micrometers now, so once I find settings for a given load I can get back to that sight setting quickly and also make fine adjustments.

I'm going to guess around 1800- 2000fps ?
At 200 yards the wind drift is probably not that bad.
10mph will push you 5" or so in that 1800-200fps

You did that with iron sights?

Yeah seriously. That is some insanely good shooting with irons at 200 yards.

I've been playing around with reduced 30-06 loads and I know mac already suggested using lighter bullets. Now I'm wondering if I should try these bullets with 2400 or trailboss...

I've been playing around with reduced 30-06 loads and I know mac already suggested using lighter bullets. Now I'm wondering if I should try these bullets with 2400 or trailboss...

I use trail boss and 2400 for cast loads mostly.
I have grown to like H4895 for my jacketed reduced loads.
Yes iron sights can be very accurate especially aperture style sights like on the M1 and A2 style sights found on the AR.
Also depends on your eye sight also.

- - - Updated - - -

Mountains results are at 100... but would still most likely be a good group even at 200.

Reading comprehension fail on my part lol.

Now whats impressive is that he can see that 2 1/2" bull at 100 yards... the 6 3/8 SR bull is getting smaller and smaller each year. soon I might have to go to a frame hold!

and a nice sub moa group to boot

lD4Oh41l.jpg

Last edited:
I use trail boss and 2400 for cast loads mostly.
I have grown to like H4895 for my jacketed reduced loads.
Yes iron sights can be very accurate especially aperture style sights like on the M1 and A2 style sights found on the AR.
Also depends on your eye sight also.

Maybe I'll look for load data with the 110's, just for someone to play around with.

You did that with iron sights?

Yes, irons. If my eyes are rested and the light is good, I can do well. For match shooting, I'm better with irons and my first attempt at using a scope for high power was a complete fail in rapids. The scope was not as bad for me at 600 yards for slow fire prone.

LOL, as mac1911 mentions, no- the target is 100 yards. [smile] Still not that bad with irons. I'm asking if I can use the same load for 200 because it is pretty light and slow. It's a very accurate load that spits out the 110's with almost no recoil. 4198 isn't one of the common ones that are recommended for light loads but I have yet to find anyone negging it to actually know what they are talking about. I am already using 4198 in an AR15 for these:

socom.jpg
.458 SOCOM

Anyway, if I could shoot like that at 200 even with my usual match pressure flubs I'd be getting better scores. This rifle is a very good shooter- I run hot and cold.

My eyesight is still excellent at distance but will degrade some when the light is bad. Also, if I have just come back from overseas my eyes will be 'tired' for a few days until I shake off the jet lag. I can fake myself into being awake and functional, but there's no fooling my eyes.

Last edited:
Now whats impressive is that he can see that 2 1/2" bull at 100 yards... the 6 3/8 SR bull is getting smaller and smaller each year. soon I might have to go to a frame hold!

and a nice sub moa group to boot

lD4Oh41l.jpg

Now I need to get my sights straightened out. Further proving your "bad things always happen at a match", I ended up chasing my 1903 sight. I had tried a beer can shim but either didn't do it right or it just didn't hold. I'll be working on those sights to get them working properly without any tricks.

Genes are funny things. Unfortunately I inherited a cue ball hairstyle, but I did OK in the eyesight department. Most of my life my eyesight was 20/15 in one and 20/13 in the other.

I made a quick trip to the range yesterday late afternoon. Shot my usual 168 SMK's and 46.5 gr Varget loads to check out my rear sight screw replacement. Not much time, so I shot from the bench which for me is no better than prone sling- maybe slightly worse.

In a previous post I mentioned how decent light makes a significant difference for my old-ish eyes when shooting irons. I think on average my group size though sometimes still acceptable for irons is double my best under optimum light. Once the trees start leafing out my home range 100 yard target gets pretty dark even on a clear afternoon. On dark days like yesterday, light at the 100 yard position is pretty bad and affects my results. Throw in staring at a computer monitor all day & the sight picture was pretty fuzzy.

This target shot slow fire. Wouldn't be bad for score but definitely got some spread there. It's not the equipment nor ammo doing this- it's all my bad:

IMG_0443.jpg

This target my last one of the day and shot as quickly as I could stuff singles into the chamber. Barrel was getting plenty warm by this point and light slightly worse. I was really trying to keep a consistent sight picture and think this is the best I could possibly do under those conditions:

IMG_0442.jpg

I'll whip up some more 168 SMK's for the Pembroke Springfield match and will probably just shoot HXP's for the Garand match. If my range were not closed this weekend I'd work on those light loads a little more. New windage screw seems to have sorted out my windage issue without need for a shim. At ~1.7" group size, not too bad considering.

edit- Stupid iPhone, ya never know how the pics will post despite always being upright on the phone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom