NH resident selling to VT resident

So, I'm trying to arrange to buy a ruger revolver from a NH resident (I am a VT resident). I just finished browsing the law stickies and from what I was able to gather, I do NOT need to involve an FFL since it is a private sale between two individuals.

Is this correct? Can I, a VT resident, buy from a NH resident without involving a FFL/dealer?

I believe all handguns must go through an FFL if its an interstate sale. This is a federal law, and might be why you didn't see it in the state stickies...

all interstate gun transactions, not just hand guns require an FFL. Fed laws require hand gun transactions to the final buyer occur through an FFL in the buyer's home state.

I believe you could still do it semi-FTF if he came to a VT FFL and you met him there. There's no problem for him to take his pistol to VT and transfer it to you there via FFL, although it's uncommon and the FFL might not like it.

There's no problem for him to take his pistol to VT and transfer it to you there via FFL, although it's uncommon and the FFL might not like it.

Yes, that's no problem. It's not even all that uncommon.

Steve-O said:
I do NOT need to involve an FFL since it is a private sale between two individuals.

I know everybody else has already said it, but just to make sure it sinks in-

NO PRIVATE SALES OF ANY FIREARMS BY NON-FFLS BETWEEN RESIDENTS OF DIFFERENT STATES.

So, I'm trying to arrange to buy a ruger revolver from a NH resident (I am a VT resident). I just finished browsing the law stickies and from what I was able to gather, I do NOT need to involve an FFL since it is a private sale between two individuals.

Is this correct? Can I, a VT resident, buy from a NH resident without involving a FFL/dealer?

Nope. You must involve an FFL in VT. A private sale across state boundaries is a federal felony. The seller can ship the gun to a VT FFL, or he can bring the gun with him and meet you there.

Not to hijack, but let's say my "Friend" was stationed in Florida, but maintained his NH residency, bought several firearms through FTF private sales from Florida residents, then when his enlistment was up, returned to NH with a trunk full of firearms, and then sold them off to various people through FTF private sales. Any broken laws there?

Not to hijack, but let's say my "Friend" was stationed in Florida, but maintained his NH residency, bought several firearms through FTF private sales from Florida residents, then when his enlistment was up, returned to NH with a trunk full of firearms, and then sold them off to various people through FTF private sales. Any broken laws there?

18 USC 44 § 922(a)(1)(A)

"It shall be unlawful for any person except a [...] licensed dealer, to engage in the business of [...] dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce"

18 USC 44 § 922(a)(1)(A)

"It shall be unlawful for any person except a [...] licensed dealer, to engage in the business of [...] dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce"

I'll tell my friend.

Back
Top Bottom