• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Pistol Permit application?

J

JellyFish

Do you have to turn this in to the local police department? Or do you send it to the state itself? I would like to fill mine out now so maybe my permit will come next week.

It looks like you can download the application off the web. Is this correct?

Hmmm...wait, it's asking for a driver's license. Can I put my MA one down or should I wait until I have my NH one? They will probably balk if they see a MA license number listed there right?

Are you applying for a non resident permit? Those go back to the Department of Public Safety in Concord. Very straight forward. Fill out the form, mail it back to the address on the instruction page and they will send it out.

Or did you move already?

Gary

Last edited:
Do you have to turn this in to the local police department? Or do you send it to the state itself? I would like to fill mine out now so maybe my permit will come next week.

It looks like you can download the application off the web. Is this correct?

Hmmm...wait, it's asking for a driver's license. Can I put my MA one down or should I wait until I have my NH one? They will probably balk if they see a MA license number listed there right?

You need to get the form from your local police chief, fill it out, sign it, and give it back to him. I think the one that's on the state's website is the non-resident application.

The hardest part about getting the NH license is uasually tracking the chief down. I believe there are some places where the chief isn't the issuing authority, but then you just go to city hall. Most of those places are larger cities like Manchester, Nashua, and Concord where the chief has a little more of a full workload than places like my town where there are only 2 cops, and usually only 1 on duty.

The permits appear to be the same. You can download both from the DPS site. The only difference is that there is a second page with instructions for out of state applicants.

I seem to remember that in some towns the Board of Selectmen is the issuing authority.

Gary

NH Resident permits are issued locally. Wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to see a NH DL first however. Call PD and ask.

No problem, I'll wait until I move on Wednesday and then head down to the police station after I get my new hampshire license, etc.

Well there might be some in Milford, I really don't know. Wilton doesn't strike me too much as a place for them though. But I could be wrong. We'll see after I have time to look around and find out.

Well there might be some in Milford, I really don't know. Wilton doesn't strike me too much as a place for them though. But I could be wrong. We'll see after I have time to look around and find out.
Wilton is actually one of the "crunchiest" towns in the Southern NH area. Lots of aging hippie-types still fighting "the establishment." The anti-war group "WMD-Women Making a Difference" (also known as "Women Choosing Not to Bathe") is based there, I think. I don't know anything about Wilton PD, but the longest my license (Amherst) has ever taken was 5 days from dropping it off at the PD to the officer delivering it to my door.

Point of order: In NH, we have no "concealed carry permit" nor "permit to carry." No one asks the State for permission here. We apply for, and are issued, a Pistol and Revolver License, just like a Driver's License or a Hunting License.

Welcome to NH. Drop me an e-mail if you want to talk about local gun clubs or ranges.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Wow. So I walked into a nest of leftist, hippie vipers then???? OMFG!!!! I could have moved to freaking Portsmouth for that!!!! [shocked] [laugh]

Well I'll be fine as long as they live me alone and I don't have to smell the stink on the ones that don't bathe. [rofl]

Yeah, sure. I would like info on local ranges. I figured I'd look around after the move.

Wilton is a pretty town as I recall. I think you'll find it has a mix of hippie elitist lefties and regular folk. but that's going back 10 years.

Where will you commute to?

I haven't really been to Milford much in recent years, but I'd be surprised if it was anything but salt-of-the-earth types.

Back
Top Bottom