NH carry without a permit of any kind besides my MA one?

jhagberg88

NES Member
The wife kid and I are headed up to NH in a couple of weekends to do some camping somewhere in the white mountains, my question is without a NH pistol and revolver permit can i carry my Glock 23 a couple magazines and boxes of ammunition, and a rifle either an AR15 or a Springfield 1903 legally?

Jason

In NH, like in the majority of the states, there is no such thing as a permit or license to have rifles and shotguns. Same goes for ammo.

Your state is an aberration.

with no license you can also carry a concealed unloaded handgun. Just keep a couple of mags on your opposite hip.

FAIL! You better not have any loaded mags on your person if you plan to carry this way.

159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

FAIL! You better not have any loaded mags on your person if you plan to carry this way.

159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

Reading comprehension failure.

Racenet, I have no clue when it comes to NH gun laws. That being said, after reading that little excerpt, I can't help but disagree with your interpretation. Seems like it says nothing about unloaded firearms!

Racenet, I have no clue when it comes to NH gun laws. That being said, after reading that little excerpt, I can't help but disagree with your interpretation. Seems like it says nothing about unloaded firearms!

From what I remember, there's case law BS on the books regarding proximal relationships between loaded magazines and a handgun being a loaded gun, that's the problem.

This is another reason why NH needs permit-less carry....

-Mike

Reading comprehension failure.

Not necessarily!

My expertise is MA gun law, not NH gun law. However I recall reading that the two principal NH firearms attorneys (Penny Dean and Evan Nappen) have opposing views on this issue. One says it's legal and the other says it's not legal.

So it looks like a gray area at best.

Please cite a case where someone has been arrested for this.

Oh wait, you can't.

NH is not MA. Either post facts, or state you have an opinion. Don't post your opinion as fact. There's no instance anyone here is aware of that involves being charged with what you're saying is illegal and the law section you posted is clearly describing the state of a pistol being loaded. It in no way declares clips or mags as a firearm onto themselves.

NH law is very clear on what is and what is not a firearm.

Last edited:
From what I remember, there's case law BS on the books regarding proximal relationships between loaded magazines and a handgun being a loaded gun, that's the problem.

This is another reason why NH needs permit-less carry....

-Mike

That case law involved carry in a vehicle with a gun in the glove box and a loaded mag in the glove box next to it. This is my recollection. Don't take it as anything more than info for starting a search.

- - - Updated - - -

Failboy. How bout you pull your head out your ass and learn some manners. There are plenty of civilized ways to disagree.

Last edited:
The fact that the recognized firearm rights attorney's in NH (Evan Nappen and Penny Dean) have a difference of opinion regarding this leads me to believe this isn't a matter that has been settled by a court decision - yet.

Anyone with the cash to become a test case is more than welcome to do so.

Generally the NH gun laws are human-readable, with just a few exceptions, including 207:7 and the above
RSA 207:7 said:
No person shall have or carry, in or on a motor vehicle, OHRV, snowmobile, or aircraft, whether moving or stationary, a cocked crossbow, a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun, or a rifle or shotgun with a cartridge in a magazine or clip attached to the gun.
So to get back to the OPs question, an AR-15 is legal if the chamber is empty, but if magazine is loaded it must not be "attached".

Back
Top Bottom