Newer Auto-Ordnance or RIA 1911s anyone?

Been thinking about getting another 1911 and these seem to be 1) MA compliant and 2) affordable in price. Pre-owned Colts, Kimbers, etc.. are all overpriced in this state. The S&W are nice, but still up there in price.

I already have a Colt Gold Cup in .45ACP and a Delta Elite in 10mm, so I'm not looking for a super accurate gun, just one that goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

Has anyone had any experience with the Auto-Ordnance or Rock Island Armory offering? I've read some what decent feedback on the RIA, but haven't found much on the Auto-Ordnance. I know in the late 80's to early 90's, the Auto-Ordnances were to be avoided, but they appear to be improved now.

I have an AO 1911A1 mainly because it reminds me of some the 1911's I was issued back in the day. (I also have a Colt MKIV Series 80) I think it is a fun gun to shoot and it performs well with hardball. I don't recommend hollowpoints without a ramp job. It differs from an original GI 1911 in that it uses the Series 80 firing pin lock which some people really destest, but I am rather ambivilent about, and the standard commercial thumb safety, and a little scooped out place on the chamber that you can visually inspect the chamber to see if it is empty or not, otherwise visually it is a close copy of a GI gun.

If you are looking for a fun gun, I think it is a good choice.

Mark L.

I have a couple of RIAs and couldn't be happier. I had a couple of AOs and couldn't have been more unhappy.

Ask a gunsmith about doing a trigger job on an AO 1911 sometime. For me, it was enlightening.

I have a couple of RIAs and couldn't be happier. I had a couple of AOs and couldn't have been more unhappy.

Ask a gunsmith about doing a trigger job on an AO 1911 sometime. For me, it was enlightening.

Question for you: Were these AO's the ones made by the old Auto-Ordnance Corp of West Hurley, NY or the current production ones made by Kahr Arms (the now current owner of AO) in Worcester? The older AO's had extremely bad reputations with indifferent quality control, soft or poorly mde parts, and poor reliability.

I am only writing about my experience with the newer Kahr Arms made product.

Mark L.

I have a AO from Kahr. Well made and accurate and short money. Trigger pull was too hard. After a trigger job at the gunsmiths its much improved.
Yes I would stay away from the West Hurley ones. If I remember right they were owned by Numrich. Who used different parts in them from a lot of sources.

Question for you: Were these AO's the ones made by the old Auto-Ordnance Corp of West Hurley, NY or the current production ones made by Kahr Arms (the now current owner of AO) in Worcester? The older AO's had extremely bad reputations with indifferent quality control, soft or poorly mde parts, and poor reliability.

I am only writing about my experience with the newer Kahr Arms made product.

Mark L.

One of each. I took a West Hurley gun to a gunsmith for a trigger job. After looking at it, he explained (and showed me) that the pin holes in the frame were out of square. In order to do a proper trigger job, he would have to match the reverse of the angles cause by the out-of-square- frame pin holes on the hammer and sear. This was too expensive. I hated the trigger so I sold the pistol.

I picked up a new one made by Kahr and the frame cracked at the slide lock hole sometime during the first 100 rounds (of WWB).

I'm sure that there are plenty of AOs out these that are fine. It's just that my personal experience with them has been miserable. I bought a used RIA 1911 in .45 ACP from CRSIII and l liked it so much that I went out and found another one in .38 Super. Both guns have been great. From now on, when I want a low-end 1911 I'll go with RIA.

I bought and AO for a project gun 20yrs ago,change every part including the barrel and bushing.the gun shot like a sum bitch after that,the orginal parts are very soft . Jim

I bought and AO for a project gun 20yrs ago,change every part including the barrel and bushing.the gun shot like a sum bitch after that,the orginal parts are very soft . Jim

Funny you mention this- my pin gun is built off an AO1911 frame... apparently the previous owner had the same idea you did- keep the frame, throw the rest of the junk away. [laugh]

-Mike

Well, it looks like between the two, I might be luckier with the RIA. Does anyone know of a dealer who carries these? I know Four Seasons carries the AO, but don't know any that has the RIA. Thanks.

I got an auto ordnance ww2 model recently. It is accurate, shoots exactly to point of aim, had an awful trigger and jammed almost every round. I called auto ordnance and they said to send it back. They paid the shipping both ways, replaced the barrel and sent it back in less than a week. now the gun even feeds corbon hollow points and the trigger has smoothed out.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. As it turns out, I wounded up coming across a decent deal on a LNIB (albeit with a trade-in with my Glock23) stainless, Series 80 Colt. With the trade in, the price was $325. Since the Glock was a safe queen collecting dust, it was not hard to let that gun go.

newcolt1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom