newbie ?s

ive held a class A ltc for 6 years now so i dont know or remember much of the safety course i took.

im interested in buying a glock 23 w/ 13 round magazines is that legal in ma and how much can i expect to pay?

im also intersted in investing in a bushmaster, like a friend has, im not sure what model i want, what do i need to know about those. whats an avg price?

ive owned my maverick 88 12ga for years and would like to customize it w/ a factory 18.5" barrel and pistol grip, is that legal?

im also interstead in learning more about gun shows in ma whats a good one to attend what can i expect?

is it legal in ma to purchase guns/ammo out of state or online?

i appreciate anyone patience!!

Last edited:
the only isue here that I am going to address is the magazine issue for the Glock 23. YOu can legally own high cap mags for the Glock so long as they are pre-ban mags AND do not say "Law Enforcement Only." All you have to make sure is that they are pre-ban mags (which can be an interesting task, to say the least) and you are good to go! You canot transfer those to a Clas-B or FID holder, so if you sell the gun, make sure that it goes to someone with an LTC-A.

Im sure others will fill in finer details, but this is the basic idea of it.

Last edited:
is it legal in ma to purchase guns/ammo out of state or online?

I'll tackle that one. Yes, it is legal to purchase guns/ammo out of state. There are a few caveats however.

1) You may purchase a handgun, rifle, or shotgun out of state and have it shipped to a MA gun dealer, who will then transfer it to you. There are restrictions, however, on what guns a MA dealer can legally transfer to you. See the "MA EOPS List of Approved Handguns / MA Handgun Compliance Q+A" thread stickied on this forum.

2) You may purchase a rifle or shotgun from an FFL (federally licensed dealer) in another state, but you must physically go pick it up, they cannot ship it to you. Be aware, however, that you cannot bring post-pan assault weapons or large capacity magazines into the state.

3) You may not purchase a handgun in another state from an FFL, except as in point 1 above, having it shipped to an in state dealer.

4) You may not purchase any handgun, rifle, or shotgun from a non-licensed out of state individual (i.e. someone who is not a federal gun dealer), unless, again, it is as in point 1 above.

5) You can legally purchase ammunition from anyone out of state and have it shipped to you. However, the MA Attorney General disagrees with this statement, and has threatened out of state ammo dealers, which has resulted in most places refusing to ship ammo to MA. If you find a place that will, consider yourself lucky, and keep your darn mouth shut about it.

6) Some of the rules above are different for Curios and Relics guns, if you have a Curios and Relics license. See the "EVERY SHOOTER SHOULD HAVE A C&R" thread if you're interested in older guns.

Welcome aboard. The GOAL web site, http://www.goal.org/, is a good place to find out about the wonderful gun laws of Massachusetts. Check out their legislation page, http://www.goal.org/legislation/legislation.html, particularly the FAQ/Fact Sheets. The Law Chart page is a very good index into the relevant Mass General Laws.

p.s Sign up with GOAL if you're not a member already.

Last edited:
thank for all the info im gonna read it again to soak it in.

so could i buy a new gun <say bushmaster m4a3> with out a magazine online to a ffl dealer <for a fee> or would i have to purchase a pre 1994 bushmaster if i wanted a 30 rd mag.?

if i have a friend who is a cop out of state who found some cheap ammo either down south or online is it legal to package it and mail it?

ill start to read those links before i ask any more ammiture ?s

Answers

You can buy a brand new Bushmaster or any other AR-15 type rifle as long as it does not have "evil" pre-ban features OR you can buy one WITH evil pre-ban features as long as it was assembled as a full rifle PRIOR to the ban. You can own and use any magazine you wish in these rifles however here in MA you may not have a magazine that holds greater than 10 rounds if it was produced AFTER the ban. i.e. my G-21 13 round magazines that are old are OK but I can not buy brand new ones that are identical in use and purpose. [shocked]
It's the law, it doesn't have to make sense.
Your "friend" from out of state can send you ammo, however to SELL it to you, he needs a MA dealer's license according to our AG.[frown]

so i could buy a brand new m4a3 as long as the mag only holds 10rds online through a ffl then buy some old 30 magazines?

so i could buy a brand new m4a3 as long as the mag only holds 10rds online through a ffl then buy some old 30 magazines?

“If the law supposes that,” said Mr. Bumble,… “the law is a ass—a idiot. If that’s the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is that his eye may be opened by experience—by experience.” - Charles Dickens, 1839

Back
Top Bottom