Newbie ammo storage question

So I recently got my first firearm, a Glock model 36 that I am very happy with. I have a pistol safe at home and here is my question--- Is it ok to store a full magazine? I have heard conflicting opinions, one said that the spring will wear out and potentially cause a jam. The other (a Police Officer) said that it is no problem.

At this point I don't intend to buy multiple firearms (revolver) and am concerned that if I need it quickly I won't have time to load a magazine. Thoughts?

Leave the magazine full. It will be fine. You'll wear the magazine much more quickly by loading and unloading it than by leaving it sit loaded.

Store the mag full. If you are concerned the spring will wear out just shoot the gun. The ammo won't stay in the mag for longer than the time between range trips. For what its worth, I know of people who have had loaded mags for years and they work fine. If you are still concerned, just buy a few extra magazine spring kits and switch them out every couple of years.

It's perfectly legal to store firearms loaded in MA along with mags. Mag springs don't wear by being compressed or not, they wear by use (load, unload cycle).

We have a subsection for gun laws here.

Once a spring is compressed, leaving it that way will have no further effect on it. It is the constant working of a spring that will be detrimental to it's lifespan.

Mag springs are cheap and a wear item. If you shoot enough for it to need replacement, you spent a lot more in ammo.

Back
Top Bottom