New York State gun laws - some advice?

Hey all. Had posted this originally in General, was advised to post here.

Let me preface this by saying I am well aware this is not formal legal advice I will be receiving, and that I of course plan to comply with all local laws before committing to any course of action.

So, with that out of the way...

I've long been interested in options I'd have if I move to New York. City, to be exact. Now, before you recoil in horror, hear me out.

My current collection consists of three long guns (M1A, AR, and Rem 700, all post-ban), two handguns (1911 and P22), and two shotguns (Mossberg 930s). I know New York State has much laxer laws than the City itself, so I was always wondering if it'd be a viable option to rent a storage facility in, say, Westchester County, and merely go pick them up for range days and not travel through the city/boroughs with them.

I know that shotguns and rifles do not require a permit, so I may be s&^% out of luck on the handguns.

So, thoughts? Also, I'm looking for options for this scenario specifically, please no alternative advice like "actually you should move to this city", etc. etc. etc.

Thanks a lot!

It will take about a year for the paperwork to go through, but if you have a clean record and can pay a few hundred for the paperwork, you will be able to get a restricted permit in NYC even if you don't have connections. I believe the AR, and possibly the M1A, are completely banned in NYC.

The problem is you will still need an NYC permit to even own the pistols, unless you simply leave them out of the equation. Even the neutered permits are a pain in the ass to get, as Rob indicates, and they are expensive. If you want it processed in anything resembling a timely matter, you basically have to pay a bribe/fee to a fixer that somehow "expedites" the process... It's basically open ended corruption. Unfortunately the corruption is not good enough to buy a carry permit with, at least not for most folks.

You could lock up any long guns out of the city, not sure why you couldn't do that... but frankly, that's a pain in the ass...

If I was infected with some kind of brain disease that made me want to move into NYC, I'd probably just give my guns to a friend in a free state or even MA that could use them. NYC makes even the worst issuing authority in MA look "good' in comparison, let's put it that way. As a gun owner it's probably almost the last place in the US I would ever want to live in. It makes MA look good in comparison.

-Mike

Well giving up the pistols is something I anticipated having to do. But long gun plan should be okay, eh?

Back
Top Bottom