"New York schools first to have ‘red flag’ petition power on guns"

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
New York schools first to have ‘red flag’ petition power on guns
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Schools across New York began the academic year with a new tool intended to prevent student suicides and violence: the ability to ask a court to remove a troubled person’s access to firearms.

About a third of U.S. states have so-called “red flag” laws, which allow courts to temporarily seize guns from people believed to be a danger to themselves or others, but New York is the first to empower schools to petition a court themselves for such an order, rather than go through local law enforcement.

In New York, school principals are now allowed to petition the court for an “extreme risk protection order” requiring the safe storage of firearms the youth might have access to, such as a parent’s gun. Supporters of the law say educators are uniquely suited to pick up on the kind of troubling behavior seen before school shootings, like the 2018 attack in Parkland, Florida, in which an expelled student killed 17 people at his former high school.
Next up: school raked over the coals for not red flagging a student who commits an act of violence or suicide. Easy to see where this is going.

Wow. So the Red Flag doesn't even have to be on you. How nice.

Now, a REASONABLE parent would already see this. Which is why they want it. And which is why it shouldn't be needed.

Folks that live in NY are going to be unhappy but its this sort of legislative over reach that is going to speed along the inevitable challenges that will land at the feet of SCOTUS

And the lawsuits the principal, town, or city are going to face when the accusations prove false are going to be enormous in value.

Supporters of the law say educators are uniquely suited to pick up on the kind of troubling behavior seen before school shootings, like the 2018 attack in Parkland, Florida, in which an expelled student killed 17 people at his former high school.

If they're so well suited to spot this "troubling behavior" as they put it, then why haven't they stopped previous shootings? Why didn't they call the police before the shooter showed up and have them ready to stop the shooter? That sounds like gross negligence (if not outright complicity) on the part of the administrators at any school that has been attacked by a student.

If they're so well suited to spot this "troubling behavior" as they put it, then why haven't they stopped previous shootings? Why didn't they call the police before the shooter showed up and have them ready to stop the shooter? That sounds like gross negligence (if not outright complicity) on the part of the administrators at any school that has been attacked by a student.
Correct, every teacher and student at Parkland knew Little Nicky was a time bomb. Why haven't heads rolled there?

I told my wife to say no if ever asked at a doctor’s office, or anywhere else.

What about your kids? Can you control what they'll say at the Dr office or at school? I know there are many here who get indignant w/ the Docs when the gun question is asked; as much as it pisses me off that they ask, I just say no.

Classified Ad in a New York Newspaper:

FOR SALE, to a good home; 3 children under the age of 14, 1 male & 2 females. Potty trained. Only serious inquiries please. Photos on request (315) 495-7663

Parents are going to have to tell their kids to say "no" if asked whether there are guns at home. Simple. STFU!
^ THIS.

I devoutly hope there is no LEO exemption. If a cop's kid makes a threat at school, Mom or Dad should be treated the same as everyone else.
Ex-parte proceeding =>
Cop's not there to wink at the court
when it considers issuing the initial order.

I told my wife to say no if ever asked at a doctor’s office, or anywhere else.
What about your kids? Can you control what they'll say at the Dr office or at school?
3aswqf.jpg

... school principals are now allowed to petition the court for an “extreme risk protection order” requiring the safe storage of firearms the youth might have access to, such as a parent’s gun.

What parents aren't already keeping their guns secure when there are kids/teens in the house?

This shouldn't need a law. And most certainly not an "ERPO" law.

What parents aren't already keeping their guns secure when there are kids/teens in the house?

This shouldn't need a law. And most certainly not an "ERPO" law.
ERPO laws mandate police confiscation of privately owned firearms, not safe storage at home. I hope SCOTUS renders all such laws null and void.

What about your kids? Can you control what they'll say at the Dr office or at school? I know there are many here who get indignant w/ the Docs when the gun question is asked; as much as it pisses me off that they ask, I just say no.

I don’t have kids, so no issue for me there.

ERPO laws mandate police confiscation of privately owned firearms, not safe storage at home. I hope SCOTUS renders all such laws null and void.

This one doesn't seem to be about confiscating guns.

MA has 'safe storage' laws. NY is seemingly making up their own version of an ERPO law to force the same behavior on people who live there, in particular if they have kids.

Parents are going to have to tell their kids to say "no" if asked whether there are guns at home. Simple. STFU!

good in theory, but where does it stop? Don't say that you are religious, member of some ethnicity. ... we are headed towards scarlet letters and yellow stars and pink triangles. This shit has to be stomped out with prejudice and people who proposed and pushed it should be shamed, shunned and kicked out of public service.

Started??? They've been doing it for years. Maybe your kids are getting of-age or something.

Hell, I've had a doctor ask ME about it.
My son is 22 and they had never asked him when he went to the pediatrician. My daughter is 7 and they didn't ask at our last visit last year. I had my physical 6 months ago and my doc didn't ask me.
A friend of mine has two kids 11 and 6 and he brought them last month for their yearly checkups (same ped office) and apparently the nurse said they have to ask these questions or the insurance won't pay them. Basically they ask are there gunz, are they locked up and do you know where the key is. They also asked both kids if they were addicted to drugs, alcohol or nicotine. My friend was not amused.

Back
Top Bottom