New Year's Dewar Match

First Annual (and possibly the last) New Year's Dewar Match, January 12th, 2008

Miss the outdoor season already? Come on out to Hopkinton in January for a Dewar Match (that's right...it's outdoors). There'll be hot coffee, donuts, warming libations for after the match, and chestnuts roasting on an open fire...well, no chestnuts but there will be a toasty fire. You need to register in advance at http://pronematch.com

See you there....I hope,
Dan

Dan Holmes
danATpronematch.com
508-736-7821

Shotgun Wedding

My Niece had her Wedding reception at your clubhouse!

Does your club do any Sportsman SHows/Fleamarkets? If so send me info.

A Dewar is the British name for Thermos and yes its made by the same guy who makes the Scotch

What is the laws of me bringing a 30-06, .22LR and a .223 from CT? I would like toi come and conpeate.

IANAL, but, rifles are OK (hand guns are not), do not bring high cap magazines (>10). You *may* be safe if you can prove they are pre-ban. Rifles would also need to be either pre-ban (bring proof) or post-ban configuration (no collapsible stock, flash higher silver soldered, etc).

Print a copy of the flyer about the match and bring it. Keep rifles locked and unloaded in a trunk.

Don't speed or do anything likely to get you pulled over.

Oh and have fun!

OK; it's prone w/ 20 shots each at 50 and 100 yards. I see slings are permitted. What about scopes?

Hi Everyone-

Sorry I've been remiss, I forgot to check "email notification for replies".

The match is .22 only, in prone, with a sling (no bipods, sandbags, etc). Also, the rifle must be a single shot bolt action rifle. You may use iron sights or scope. I think that all questions about the match can be answered under "Match Info" on the website as "B" suggested.

I run a series of these matches in the summer and the match draws shooters with varying degrees of experience (some with very little smallbore competition experience to shooters who hold National Records and have competed on the National Team).

If you have any questions that the website does not answer, please feel free to call or email me.

Dan Holmes
danATpronematch.com
508-736-7821

PS, NE CHARTERS, we don't currently have any Shows or Flea Markets on the schedule....

Last edited:
Dan,

Do you need a single shot, or can you just load one at a time? The reason I ask is that some of the .22 CMP rifles have magazines and of course Biathalon rifles.

B

Yes, you can use a rifle that has a magazine so long as it is loaded one shot at a time and it is bolt action. We've had some Biathlon shooters shoot the match in the past.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. Nice job with the website and matches. NRA could take a lesson from your efforts. Kudos.

B

Hi Jose-

I went back and checked the NRA rules and cannot find a rule that restricts the rifle to bolt action, therefore, I would allow shooters shooting a .22 caliber rifle that was semi-automatic, provided it is single loaded for each shot (Rule 10.1.6).

-Dan

I went back and checked the NRA rules and cannot find a rule that restricts the rifle to bolt action, therefore, I would allow shooters shooting a .22 caliber rifle that was semi-automatic, provided it is single loaded for each shot (Rule 10.1.6).

Oh good; it wasn't me. I thought I'd missed something (although I can't recall ever seeing a semi at an NRA match).

Anyhow, it means I can bring my tricked-out 10/22. [dance]

Hi Dan, I knew the rules did not prohibit it. I was wondering if there was some reason why your match program may have.

I'm sure you may be able to drag some of the service rifle shooters to the match then.

I've never seen someone shooting a semi at an NRA smallbore match either...probably because they can be cumbersome to load one shot at a time (and tend to be less accurate than their bolt action cousins).

I did have one shooter shoot a Ruger semi in one of the summer matches but he never shot it in the match again.

Most of the shooters are shooting Anschutz rifles....

I've never seen someone shooting a semi at an NRA smallbore match either...probably because they can be cumbersome to load one shot at a time (and tend to be less accurate than their bolt action cousins).

I did have one shooter shoot a Ruger semi in one of the summer matches but he never shot it in the match again.

Most of the shooters are shooting Anschutz rifles....
Oh, I agree. But some service rifle diehards just want trigger time during the off season and are just looking to beat their personal goals. I know, I used to be one. [smile]

To be honest, a for-real match grade AR 22LR upper from Compass Lake Engineering is plenty good to clean the NRA 50 yd SB target with plenty of Xs. They are just a bitch to shoot from the shoulder.

Now that I am mostly a prone shooter, my 1411 is my most used rifle. Shooting it at 100 and 200 yards is great training for mid and long range fullbore and fun in its own right.

I was at my local club shooting some prone practice this past weekend and on the lane next to me was some guy with a tricked out, mega scoped, sniper-bipod, heavy barrel 10-22. I looked at his 50 yard target once when we went to change paper. [laugh]

I like the 1411 a lot. I shoot a 1913 that I have been shooting since 1990, still shoots great. I shoot mostly prone now too, but since there isn't a heck of a lot of smallbore matches in New England, I still shoot 3P. I only have so much time to get to the range so if I can focus all my efforts on one position (prone), I have more success...

I only have so much time to get to the range so if I can focus all my efforts on one position (prone), I have more success...
Same here. That's pretty much the reason why I have almost stopped shooting HP across the course and why I make no effort to shoot SB 3P. These days it's smallbore and fullbore prone for me. In fact, this year I shot my first 1000 yard matches and it was a rush to see the target go down and come back a 10 or X from ten football fields away with iron sights. [smile]

Also, I have some shoulder injuries that are starting to make the traditional target shooting standing position painful.

Back
Top Bottom