• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to shotguns. Advice on learning?

Well, given that other ammo is virtually non-existent, last week I made an impulse purchase of a Benelli Super Nova 12 ga. pump. I'm using the Improved Cylinder choke. Target loads are relatively cheap and plentiful.

My son and I used the shotgun range at HSC, twice now, two weeks in a row. First time out we hit about half the clays. Yesterday we did somewhat better, up near 75% to 80%, and each of us had a run of 12 in a row.

Well, it was a blast. Both of us are pumped (literally!) about shooting. This is way more fun than shooting at paper targets.

I have no idea if we should be encouraged by our performance, but I feel we're not doing too bad for beginners. Still, I feel we could both probably benefit from instruction. Is this a good idea? Should we wait until we're more used to it to get guidance, or go for it right away before we develop too many bad habits? Also, are there any good places to go for instruction around central Middlesex county?

I enjoy shooting sporting clays and it seems there are two routes you can go. The first one is just learn on your own(lots of helpful info on the internet and utube). Having a friend to tell you how your missing(ie infront, behind, over, low) really helps sometimes when your having an issue.
The second is hiring an instructor. If I had the cash I probably would. The can really hone your skills and show you things that could take a long time to figure out. Like you said you can avoid developing bad habits. I shoot in western mass so i down know anyone out you direction. He only place ive seen a list of instructors is on NSCA website.

- - - Updated - - -

I enjoy shooting sporting clays and it seems there are two routes you can go. The first one is just learn on your own(lots of helpful info on the internet and utube). Having a friend to tell you how your missing(ie infront, behind, over, low) really helps sometimes when your having an issue.
The second is hiring an instructor. If I had the cash I probably would. The can really hone your skills and show you things that could take a long time to figure out. Like you said you can avoid developing bad habits. I shoot in western mass so i down know anyone out you direction. He only place ive seen a list of instructors is on NSCA website.

I am new to clay sports myself. But I find all the guys at my club are very willing to help, that plus experience of doing it and you will improve pretty quickly.

Be sure to just ignore the ones who give you guff over the pump action.
I've been to at least one club that seems to take a dim view of a pump on their trap range (I have a Browning 12ga pump). But at least they'll let you put it on the rack with their precious O&Us and most will help out new shooters.
Skeet and sporting clay shooters seem to have a more open mindset.

To the OP and others.

There is nothing wrong with a pump, or anything else that fits you (physical, mentally, and budget-wise). If a club gives you crap about a Monkey Ward Special, screw 'em; find another club, and shoot there; get good; go back and kick their ass.

My kid wins a lot of competitions, with an 870 that's at least twice, possibly 3x his age.

As stated above, ask for advice from the more experienced shooters (age is not always a factor - my kid, while not yet certified in Shotgun Instruction, has taught people). There are many that are happy to share their experience. Getting the basics down at the start is important, as it saves time and expense.

Not sure what "North Central" is, but if you want to come out to Southborough Rod & Gun Club Sunday, I'll likely be there (and if not, other helpful souls will be). Also there's a Corned Beef Dinner ($10 pp, all you can eat!) at 4:00.

Always happy to get more people drinking the Orange Kool-Aid.

[laugh]

And, if you're really wanting to get your feet wet, come to the GOAL Cup:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...6886-goal-cup-trap-shoot-april-21-2013-a.html

It will be a competitive event, but you'll see what "real" shooting is like, in a friendly environment.

Welcome to the addiction.

Not sure what "North Central" is, but if you want to come out to Southborough Rod & Gun Club Sunday, I'll likely be there (and if not, other helpful souls will be). Also there's a Corned Beef Dinner ($10 pp, all you can eat!) at 4:00.

Thanks. Can't do it this Sunday, but I'll ping you another time and see if we can't set something up.

If you are interested in clays let me know and we can meet up at addiville farm

Eyes on the bird. Keep your cheak on the comb follow through.....everything else will come. Less thinking helps also.

To the OP and others.

There is nothing wrong with a pump, or anything else that fits you (physical, mentally, and budget-wise). If a club gives you crap about a Monkey Ward Special, screw 'em; find another club, and shoot there; get good; go back and kick their ass.

My kid wins a lot of competitions, with an 870 that's at least twice, possibly 3x his age.

As stated above, ask for advice from the more experienced shooters (age is not always a factor - my kid, while not yet certified in Shotgun Instruction, has taught people). There are many that are happy to share their experience. Getting the basics down at the start is important, as it saves time and expense.

Always happy to get more people drinking the Orange Kool-Aid.

[laugh]

And, if you're really wanting to get your feet wet, come to the GOAL Cup:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...6886-goal-cup-trap-shoot-april-21-2013-a.html

It will be a competitive event, but you'll see what "real" shooting is like, in a friendly environment.

This, Go see MisterHappy. He is a great instructor and you will have a blast. He had my wife hitting 11/25 on her first round.

Here's my .02 from shooting skeet for over 20 years. You can absolutely go and shoot clays and have fun and find out what works and what doesn't as you go along (can be aggrevating and frustrating). You can also get advise from guys who have been at it a long time or who you think is a great shooter. One thing to keep in mind, just because they shoot great, doesn't mean they teach great. If you are serious about getting into clay sports, spend the money on some lessons, it's worth every penny. You WILL shoot more straights, you WILL know why you missed, you WILL learn proper technique and you WILL shoot better, more consistantly. Contact this guy: Skeet shooting instruction with NSSA Master Instructor Angelo Troisi.

I have also just started to shoot clays. Hit between 10 and 15 out of 25 so far and have shot 5 total rounds in my "career". This is with a Mossy 500 12 guage 30 inch barrel full choke using remington gun club target loads. I have a great time shooting clay as I am definately self taught. Have to say that 30 inch barrel mossy gets aweful heavy on teh left bicept toward the end of 25 clays though!

This, Go see MisterHappy. He is a great instructor and you will have a blast. He had my wife hitting 11/25 on her first round.

yup, he helped me keep up with guys using fancy shotguns. All i had was a pistol grip (with buttstock) 18.5" turkey gun. haven't shot trap in a couple years though :( i need to get back into it.

I shot 33 in a row my third time out. Out of about 90 rounds, I hit about 72. My son hit about the same, though his longest run was 27. Is this good progress?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom