New Springfield M1 Garand

I am in the market for an M1 and am interested in the new M1's made by springfield. does anyone have any opinions on them? I wanted one in .30-06, but heard good things about the .308 as well. any opinions on this as well as the quality versus a CMP or WW2 Garand would be apreciated.

It depends on what you are looking for.
Personally I wanted a WWII rifle. The one I got was in the date range of when my Grandfather was in Italy. That makes me wonder "Could it have been his?"
That and anytime I hold it, I wonder "Where has this rifle been and what has it done?"

I haven't heard anything bad about the new ones from SA Inc.

The new ones are made from old parts, just with a new barrel, stock, and a few other parts, then they're re-parkerized. You wind up with an M1 Garand with a perfect muzzle and throat. Mine shoots probably better than I can and will give me at least 4 out of 8 shots touching at 100 yards.
I think they're a great buy because gun show and shop M1 Garands are getting almost as much as what the new ones are going for. Plus unless you have a tool to check, theres no way of telling how much muzzle wear or throat erosion there is when you see one for sale. Probably the main thing that attracted me to the newly made ones.
I still may get a been there done that M1 Garand war rifle someday, but untill CMP gets Service Grade ones that guarantee a good muzzle, throat, etc. I'll keep shooting my new one.
Terry Goode got me a great deal on mine from Springfield Armory.

my cousin has a new one and when he got it it had a problem feeding rounds...it would only cycle one at a time and then jam...he had to manually operate the bolt each time to chamber a new round, and eject the jammed round...the 8 round capacity was therefore cut down to 4...he sent it back to SA...they corrected the problem...gun now shoots like a dream

Back
Top Bottom