New Shooter Targets with a .22 Ruger MarkIII

dsc01900.jpg

dsc01904f.jpg

dsc01901yh.jpg

dsc01902p.jpg

dsc01903t.jpg

Last edited:
You are getting the basics, you need to get out to the 20 to 50 feet distances next.

and the gnome.... head shots are the shot you take if there are no others.. largest area of exposed mass, center mass in the chest if possible.

Any holes, in any target, at any distance, are a good thing. [smile] It looks like you've got the basics down pretty well. Work up to targets at a greater distance.

Don't get discouraged if your groups open up as the distance increases. Concentrate on the fundamentals of sight picture and trigger squeeze. I think you'll do fine.

The important question: Did you have fun? [grin]

Gnomes are evil, and it looks like your target gnome won't be coming down for breakfast. That's a good thing.

You're well on your way. It shouldn't take all that much practice to get down to 1" groups at 5 yards with a MKIII. A much smaller group than that is possible too, but 1" gives you a reachable goal to shoot for.

I had a blast! The guys that work there at AFS are great too. So closer groups are better? I will try some at 7yrds and 10yrds next week. (Hopefully with my own gun)

Thanks

Generally speaking, a person will shoot tighter groups at closer distances. As you move the targets further away your groups will probably open up. That's why some folks will use something like a Ransom rest to determine the inherent accuracy of a gun. If you have a handgun that's shooting 1" groups from a mechanical rest and you're getting 4" groups when firing handheld, then you know that you need more practice! [laugh] (This is assuming that you're using the same ammo in both cases)

I'm glad you had fun! One thing to try when you shoot at longer distances is some type of reactive targets; simple balloons stuck on a target board work well. I like to use those with new shooters. They get a kick out of seeing the balloon pop and it gives them some confidence.

Paper bullseye targets are great for when you have the basics down and want to really work on your technique. Paper doesn't lie and gives you a good record of where your shots are going and what size groups you're getting. Many new shooters feel disappointed if they don't get "bullseyes." What's really important is not the bullseye, but the group size. If a new shooter can hold a decent group it's not too hard to walk the shots into the bull by either adjusting the sights or using 'Kentucky windage.'

Of course, all my shots are bullseyes...[rofl]

If you get bored shooting paper check out www.originalbobs.com they are doing 22 steel plate shoots on thursday nights. It's fun to shoot at reactive targets and its interesting to see what happens to peoples scores when they have to shoot under a timer. They are located in Sailsbury Mass and its $10.00 to shoot and half the money goes back as prize money. Here is a link to the 22 plate machine. http://www.originalbobsshootingrange.com/new_page_12.htm

If you get bored shooting paper check out www.originalbobs.com they are doing 22 steel plate shoots on thursday nights. It's fun to shoot at reactive targets and its interesting to see what happens to peoples scores when they have to shoot under a timer. They are located in Sailsbury Mass and its $10.00 to shoot and half the money goes back as prize money. Here is a link to the 22 plate machine. http://www.originalbobsshootingrange.com/new_page_12.htm

That sounds like fun! As soon as my LTC comes in and I can get my own gun I would love to try that! I'm sure being under the clock would both add pressure and add some more adrenaline. Sound like great fun.

where you shooting lefty by chance?

No, righty, but funny you say that because I am not sure which is the best hand for me. I do some things lefty and some righty, but can't do anything with both.

I eat and write lefty, but throw and swing (baseball, golf) righty.

Next week I will try lefty to see how I do.

No, righty, but funny you say that because I am not sure which is the best hand for me. I do some things lefty and some righty, but can't do anything with both.

I eat and write lefty, but throw and swing (baseball, golf) righty.

Next week I will try lefty to see how I do.

Hey, don't forget to figure your "dominant eye" into the equation of shooting righty or lefty. That could be a factor also. I know I'm sure glad I'm right eye dominant as well as shooting righty. Makes things a lot easier.

Hey, don't forget to figure your "dominant eye" into the equation of shooting righty or lefty. That could be a factor also. I know I'm sure glad I'm right eye dominant as well as shooting righty. Makes things a lot easier.

Thanks. I think that's why I feel more comfortable shooting right-handed. My Right eye feels stronger when I look through the sights of the gun. When it comes to hand strength, I think my left is a bit stronger.

Hey Bump, you can determine your dominant eye real easy. What I do is hold my hands out in front an form a 2# triagle to look through. Now with both eyes open, look at an object. OK, now close one eye and then open it and close the other and look. You will notice that the object that your looking at only stays in the hand-triangle when using the "dominant" eye.

Back
Top Bottom