• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New P229 having some issues.

So far I've put about 300 rounds through it and the slide doesn't lock open at end of a magazine. Someone thought it might be the older, pre-ban magazines I was using but it does it with the brand new magazines also.

In addition, I'm getting some stove pipes, maybe one from every other magazine.

Any ideas?

On the bright side, it's way more accurate than my M&P9 was and I like shooting it a lot. I do need to get some Hogue grips though because it's chewing up the top knuckle on my right thumb.

Have you only used one brand of ammo? Could be that you need something with a little more oomph since it's still breaking in.

Still new give it another 200 rds. or so also sigs like to be well oiled. Hope things work out I'm sure they will. Great gun.

Have you only used one brand of ammo? Could be that you need something with a little more oomph since it's still breaking in.

So far I've used some Winchester white box JHP, Rem UMC and American Eagle. They all seemed to do it though all are a bit light. I'll try some +P stuff.

Thanks.

Still new give it another 200 rds. or so also sigs like to be well oiled. Hope things work out I'm sure they will. Great gun.

I lubed it with the little tube of lithium grease Sig included. I'll try more.

I really do like the thing. Maybe not quite as much as my 1911 but very close. I'll send it back to Sig if necessary.

When the gun is still new, I recommend to use a liberal amount of a good gun oil such as breakfree. The grease is good after it is broken in.

So far I've used some Winchester white box JHP, Rem UMC and American Eagle. They all seemed to do it though all are a bit light. I'll try some +P stuff.

Thanks.

Fed AE shouldn't do it, its a tad hotter than WWB and UMC.

Will an empty mag with the slide manually pulled back lock open the gun, every time? If it fails that test, then likely the slide lock is having issues. If the SL spring is weak, or (possibly?) not properly installed it could
cause this problem.

Also, a Sig, especially a new one, should be run literally WET. If your rails, and the "top" of the lower aren't glistening, then you're not using enough lube. Also lube the guide rod. Start with a thin lube like break free
and stay away from grease for now.

It's also remotely possible that your gun has the wrong recoil spring in it, or it's just unusually heavy. If you can try
someone else's P229 mainspring in your gun, that might also help, too. There are at least 3 mainspring strengths out there, one for each caliber. (although the .40 and .357 springs are probably somewhat interchangeable in actual practice... )

This goes without saying, but make sure your mags are clean. Sometimes the sig factory mags get packed with "preservative lube" etc. You've probably already touched that avenue, though.

If you can't resolve it in short order I'd be sending it back to the factory. Normally P series sigs are not this fussy, especially not ones in 9/.40/.357. These guns are normally renowned for a high level "operational conditions window".

-Mike

I called Sig and they said basically the same thing you guys are. They also said to use a 124 or 136 grain round for break in instead of the typical 115 grain.

Would Marvel Mystery oil be a good lube for this?

Back
Top Bottom