New NH Resident

After my 30 years of having Mass as my home of record, I will be truly free. I am moving to NH for work ( Fed Job) Former Army Infantry.

Now here is my question, ala the typical can I get the CCW question..... But I will try to add all the relevant details.

I have a DUI Conviction from Washington State from 2009. The Max penalty as listed by law and my paperwork is 365 days, as it is a Gross Mis. and not felony. Paid my fines and such. I was placed on unsupervised probation as I was getting out of the Army and couldn't do the 2 year deferment option. I received 5 years of Unsp. Probation, and listed on my final paperwork, it states that I may own weapons, ( or more so the the no weapons box was not checked, it was only checked for Will not drive without lic, drive drunk etc...)

I have a Washington State CCW still valid, and no other issues....

Thanks for the input.

Joe

It shouldn't be a problem since you're not a federally prohibited person but your CoP could deny your license on suitability I guess.

Not in NH.

There's at least one member on this board who has been c-blocked on suitability in NH. So while it doesn't happen up there 99% of the time, it's not completely impossible for it to be an issue.

-Mike

Thanks for the info. If If I understand correctly I apply at city hall and wait and within 14 days I will get a yeah or nay. If I feel iffy about it, should I talk to the chief or issuing official, explain the issue, and show him my weapons certifications and training from the Army. Qualified instructor/EIB etc

There's at least one member on this board who has been c-blocked on suitability in NH. So while it doesn't happen up there 99% of the time, it's not completely impossible for it to be an issue.

-Mike

This is true. However, if you are denied, do not let it slide. Contact Evan Nappen (link in my sig) and appeal shortly after the denial.

Thanks for the info. If If I understand correctly I apply at city hall and wait and within 14 days I will get a yeah or nay. If I feel iffy about it, should I talk to the chief or issuing official, explain the issue, and show him my weapons certifications and training from the Army. Qualified instructor/EIB etc

I would document your past really well and then apply and attach documentation as needed by the app. You'll find out in 14 days or less whether or not you are going to need a lawyer.

-Mike

You really don't need to do that. This is NH not MA. There is no need to grovel at the feet of the CoP to get a permit. I've never met any of the cops in the town I originally got my permit and my current town where I renewed. Just fill out the paperwork and mail it (with check) via Certified US mail with a return receipt. That way you also have proof they took longer than 14 days if they decide to not process it but not deny you.

ETA:

Like Mike said you could add documentation of your past, as well as your WA CCW if you want. But there isn't really a need to go to the CoP in person.

Just fill out the app with the required info and attach NOTHING that isn't required. Nothing IS required, so attach nothing. Hand it in and wait for you approval. Personally, I would say nothing before hand to the chief, any officers, the mailman or the garbage man. There is no need for that. You are no longer in ma**h*** land.

And reemember, leave ALL of that Mass bagage and ways of thinking on that side of the border. We don't like it nor want it here. If you do that, you'll fit in just fine here.

Racenet, I am counting down till I officially leave. Just finished school and I can't stand it here anymore, being ex military and a constitutionalist. I close on a place tomorrow after work.

Not in NH.

I'll challenge that statement.

159:6 License to Carry. –
I. The selectmen of a town or the mayor or chief of police of a city or some full-time police officer designated by them respectively, upon application of any resident of such town or city, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued. The license shall be in duplicate and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee. The original shall be delivered to the licensee and the duplicate shall be preserved by the people issuing the same for 4 years. When required, license renewal shall take place within the month of the fourth anniversary of the license holder's date of birth following the date of issuance. The license shall be issued within 14 days after application, and, if such application is denied, the reason for such denial shall be stated in writing, the original of which such writing shall be delivered to the applicant, and a copy kept in the office of the person to whom the application was made. The fee for licenses issued to residents of the state shall be $10, which fee shall be for the use of the law enforcement department of the town or city granting said licenses; the fee for licenses granted to out-of-state residents shall be $100, which fee shall be for the use of the state. The director of state police is hereby authorized and directed to prepare forms for the licenses required under this chapter and forms for the application for such licenses and to supply the same to officials of the cities and towns authorized to issue the licenses. No other forms shall be used by officials of cities and towns. The cost of the forms shall be paid out of the fees received from nonresident licenses.
II. No photograph or fingerprint shall be required or used as a basis to grant, deny, or renew a license to carry for a resident or nonresident, unless requested by the applicant.
Source. 1923, 118:6. PL 149:6. 1941, 172:1. RL 179:6. 1951, 151:3. RSA 159:6. 1959, 100:1. 1967, 220:4. 1977, 563:76. 1979, 355:1. 1993, 27:1; 203:1. 1994, 257:1; 257:2. 1996, 167:2, eff. Aug. 2, 1996. 2003, 90:1, eff. July 29, 2003. 2009, 144:194, eff. July 1, 2009.

While it is rare for someone to be denied based on suitability in New Hampshire, it has happened and could happen again.

there are a few towns to avoid for CoP that don't consider the license to be a shall issue, Weare, Epping, and Exeter. there may be a few others but those are the ones I recall.

Racenet, I am counting down till I officially leave. Just finished school and I can't stand it here anymore, being ex military and a constitutionalist. I close on a place tomorrow after work.

Make sure you vote and get involved in keeping that place the way it is. Good luck to you.

Just fill out the app with the required info and attach NOTHING that isn't required. Nothing IS required, so attach nothing. Hand it in and wait for you approval.

This.

IF you're denied based on suitability, THEN you can ask to meet with the CoP (or the selectmen... depending on who issues in the town) have a discussion and show him your docs. Until you're denied, assume it'll be all good. Because, in fact, you ARE suitable and have no reason to believe otherwise.

This.

IF you're denied based on suitability, THEN you can ask to meet with the CoP (or the selectmen... depending on who issues in the town) have a discussion and show him your docs. Until you're denied, assume it'll be all good. Because, in fact, you ARE suitable and have no reason to believe otherwise.

Frankly I feel a better idea is to call Evan Nappen and bring it out into the open. We need to hold the CoP's feet to the fire and one of the only ways it seems is to bring the issue to the courts so they can smack the CoPs around for being douches. It will cost some money on the part of the denied but it will have the added bonus of ensuring the CoP is less likely to do it again, especially if the Judge requires the CoP to pay for the court and attorney fees.

Frankly I feel a better idea is to call Evan Nappen and bring it out into the open. We need to hold the CoP's feet to the fire...

I hear your point, and it's a good one. I think the best approach depends on the size of the town in which you live, to be honest.

I live in a town with about 1,400 residents. Better to keep things low profile, and not give anyone a reason to talk. Everyone knows everyone else's business.

In such a town, it's FAR easier to see if you can "make nice" with the CoP and just get your pistol permit. If, after a nice cordial talk showing him that you're extremely suitable, he still says "sorry, buddy, but I don't hand out permits to the likes of you" then by all means call Evan Nappen. Heck, call everyone and anyone you can think of... because NOW it's "defend your rights" time.

I hear you, soloman02... I really do. We shouldn't have to bow before the authorities for something that's our right. But in a small town, a little cordiality and a second chance can go a long way to building a longer-term good relationship.

I'll challenge that statement.

While it is rare for someone to be denied based on suitability in New Hampshire, it has happened and could happen again.

I had Nashua PD deny me for an arrest 25 years ago. The charges were dropped 30 days later.
I did not expunge my record in the intervening years. I also didn't do the appeal at the time
of denial. So now I have to answer yes to the question of being denied a permit. I am going
to reapply soon and will push the issue this time.

Malodave

I live in a town with about 1,400 residents. Better to keep things low profile, and not give anyone a reason to talk. Everyone knows everyone else's business.

In such a town, it's FAR easier to see if you can "make nice" with the CoP and just get your pistol permit.
Going along to get along is never a good idea in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom