New member question?

Greetings all and I apolagise if this has been asked before but I could not find a definate answer. I am a legal alien over here, orginally from the UK, and live in Maryland. I own a hand gun but because I live in MD then I dont have a CCW permit. My wife and I are coming to Vermont, Manchester in july for 6 weeks.
OK if you are still with me then my question is can i bring my Glock with me and what do I need to know about the law? i.e. carrying in the car does it need to be in the back and the ammo seperate, do I need to contact the LLE that I will be bringing it and temporary register it there?
Are there any ranges near Manchester that allow out of state walk ins either indoor or out doors?

Once again thank you and if you see a big red land rover discovery up there with a union jack on the back then come and say hello.

Graeme

Look up FOPA (Firearms Owner Protection Act). You can transport your firearms FROM any state where you are permitted to possess it TO any state where you are permitted to possess it, without regard to whether you are permitted to possess in the states through which you pass.

FOPA requires that the firearms be unloaded and locked in a case, and that the ammunition be locked separately in a case.

Various states have interpreted the provisions of FOPA very strictly, so I advise that you spend as little of your travel time in those states that do not permit possession of handguns without licensing (NJ, NY, MA). New Jersey has interpreted FOPA very strictly, and arrested an airline passenger with an unexpected overnight layover at Newark, because they said he did not have the protection of FOPA because he had access to his firearms in his hotel room without a license.

I recommend burying your firearms deep in your trunk, and don't plan an overnight stop in NJ, NY, or MA. Stops for gas or meals appear to be okay.

Vermont has no gun laws, so you are all set there.

NH is very pro gun, but without a non resident pistol and revolver license you can not carry it loaded in your car or concealed and loaded on your person. You can carry it in plain view loaded walking down the street

Now as someone else said, NJ, NY and MA are the States ( or Commonwealths) that would love to put you in jail, and New York City is a place you just do not want to be with a gun and no permit, even under the protection of Federal Laws allowing transport from point A to point B without stopping in between.

If you are going to be in Manchester NH, go check out our friends at Manchester Firing Line, a public indoor range that will rent you a machine gun if you have enough cash

www.gunsnh.com The owner is a frequent visitor to this website

That was the case that just got won in MA, in NH resident aliens are welcome to own guns, but for the moment until the dust settles in MA and the appeals are heard etc etc etc it is still a no no

Manchester VT looks like it is near Bennington and not much else. I seriously doubt that you'll find any public ranges anywhere near there.

No permits are needed in VT for CCW. Don't know if they have any anti-alien laws however. Go to www.handgunlaw.us for VT and then check their .gov site (links from the URL I provided) for specifics (NEVER rely on a 3rd-party site for factual info that if wrong can lead to lawyer fees and possible jail terms).

Just be aware that you'll only be ~10 miles from the NY state line and you will be an "instant felon" if you cross that state line with a handgun anywhere in the car (except under FOPA, and you may still have trouble in NY). So either leave it in the hotel room or don't do touristy stuff in NY!

That was the case that just got won in MA, in NH resident aliens are welcome to own guns, but for the moment until the dust settles in MA and the appeals are heard etc etc etc it is still a no no

There are no appeals. It is now law in MA. Implementation still remains to be seen.

I did not know that an alien could own a handgun.

You can in Maryland as long as you have a USCIS number and a green card. On the form in Maryland it asks if you are a citizen or resident alien. If resident alien then it asks for your USCIS number. You must show your green card and have them photocopy it as well as driving license and proof of address. There is the usual 7 day waiting period and after that you have to wait 30 days to buy another regulated firearm. There was no problem with me buying the Glock 17 and with the paperwork. The place where I got it from had delt with R/A's before so there was no issues.

Back
Top Bottom