New MA Non-Resident LTC Renewal In-Person Requirements?

pinefd

NES Member
I don’t know whether this has been posted yet or not, as I couldn’t find mention of it anywhere here. I just received my new MA non-resident LTC in the mail yesterday after less than a 3 month wait (which I thought was fairly reasonable…for them). The note that came with it read:

“Enclosed, please find your Massachusetts Non-Resident License…blah, blah, blah”

It then went on to say:

“As of March 18, 2024, the annual renewal process has changed. Renewals will be processed solely by mail, and you will still need to renew your LTC annually. However, subsequent in-person appearances may be required at the discretion of the FRB. If required, you will receive an appointment notice by mail or email with your scheduled date and time to appear at this office…”

Note, no mention of the every 6 year in-person requirement, only “at the discretion of the FRB.”

In contrast, this is what last year’s note said:

“As of January 1, 2017, the annual renewal process has changed. The requirement for an annual in-person appearance at the Firearms Records Bureau (FRB) is no longer required. In-person appearances will only be required once every six years…"

It's yet to be seen whether this is a good thing or not, depending on how often the FRB requires an in-person appointment, although I suspect that may vary from person-to-person.

Anyone else notice this change?

Frank

I'm on my 8th year and haven't had to go back yet. Last year, I called because my interview hadn't been scheduled and was told that since COVID, they were backed up and some people (including me) didn't have to come in. This year, I didn't bother calling and my renewal just showed up in March. I suspect this will be the new normal unless you get their attention for some reason.

I'm on my 8th year and haven't had to go back yet. Last year, I called because my interview hadn't been scheduled and was told that since COVID, they were backed up and some people (including me) didn't have to come in. This year, I didn't bother calling and my renewal just showed up in March. I suspect this will be the new normal unless you get their attention for some reason.
That's good news

Kindda sucks to head into Chelsea....even when in I'm Boston. I wouldn't be sad if they never asked me back

Back
Top Bottom