New LTC time to go shopping

My LTC came in the mail tonight....Class A, no restrictions[rockon]

Its time for me to buy some guns. I want to get a .22 target pistol...thinking bullseye pistol might be fun. Also thinking a 9mm pistol for shooting steel etc.

For the .22 I like the Ruger Mk3 (shot a number of .22 pistols). I could use advice which model to get...there are a lot of options (5in, 6in, Stainless, non stainless, slab barrel, etc). I would like to buy the .22 I will be shooting for the next couple years.

As for the 9mm I have fired a Glock (17 and 19) and it felt pretty comfortable to me, however I have nothing to compare it to. Advice on which model would be great, also wanted some opinion about the caliber. Some have suggested starting with .40 instead of 9mm but the ammo prices seem to make 9mm more attractive. For this gun I'm OK upgrading to something larger once I get some time on the range.

Thoughts?

Chris

Last edited:
i like .40 S&W much more then 9mm. i have a glock 23 (compact .40) and a glock 27 (subcompact .40)

if i ask eddiecoyle, he'll call me a wimp and say get a 10mm.

9mm is better for target and plinking, while .40 SW is better for personal protection (in my opinion).

I have the Ruger MKIII, "Hunter" model... 7.somethingorother" barrel, SS. That's the one I'd recommend. I've put many thousands of rounds through this, more than all my other handguns. The only issues I had are that the front sight started to come loose, so I used Loctite on it. And I have had an occasional jam when it gets dirty although it may be related to ammo brand. I haven't had a jam with CCI Blazer lately that I have been using. I have a red dot scope on the way that I'll be trying in the next week or two.

As for larger pistol, I'd go with 9mm. 1/3 cheaper ammo, less recoil making for more accuracy and a pleasant experience, and it'll still have plenty of stopping power if you use hollow points.

Congrats on the LTC. The Ruger MKIII seems like its a good firearm. I haven't shot one myself, but am considering getting one so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for which barrel length and other options are preferred.

Congrats on the new license and welcome

The ruger is great first gun and a good start for bullseye. I have the 5.5" bull barrel in blue with an ancient aimpoint red dot that I started shooting in the NVPL this year. The hunter and competition model are nice too. However if you're using a red dot you don't get any benefit from the longer barrel. A S&W model 41 is nicer but is about 3x the price ($318 for the mkIII bull vs ~$900 for the 41).

As for the centerfire semi give an M&P9 a try. See if you can try someones whose had a trigger job to fix the HEAVY Mass trigger.

Top of my list:

If you are going to carry find yourself a Glock 26 or Glock 27. I prefer 9mm because of cost and because of capacity.

Get yourself a 1911.

Get yourself an AR15. If you can't afford it now just buy the stripped lower for 150 or less then you can build one later.

A ruger 10/22 can be had for pretty cheap if you look hard enough. Always a lot of fun.

Congrats on the license. Be safe with it.

I have a mkIII and i love it. I have the 5.5 inch bull barrel model. It was a hair over $300 brand new. It shoots great and feels good in my hand. My only complaint is that it's a bitch to take apart and reassemble, at least until you've done it a half dozen times.

for a carry gun, 9mm or.40 would work fine. 9 is cheaper and you'll prob find more, smaller guns for CC than in .40. I have a Glock 26 and i like it.

My LTC came in the mail tonight....Class A, no restrictions[rockon]

Its time for me to buy some guns. I want to get a .22 target pistol...thinking bullseye pistol might be fun. Also thinking a 9mm pistol for shooting steel etc.

For the .22 I like the Ruger Mk3 (shot a number of .22 pistols). I could use advice which model to get...there are a lot of options (5in, 6in, Stainless, non stainless, slab barrel, etc). I would like to buy the .22 I will be shooting for the next couple years.

As for the 9mm I have fired a Glock (17 and 19) and it felt pretty comfortable to me, however I have nothing to compare it to. Advice on which model would be great, also wanted some opinion about the caliber. Some have suggested starting with .40 instead of 9mm but the ammo prices seem to make 9mm more attractive. For this gun I'm OK upgrading to something larger once I get some time on the range.

Thoughts?

Chris

I'll cast my vote for Browning Buckmark for .22 bullseye, unless you can find an old High Standard Trophy from Camden.
For bullseye, the longer the barrel the better. Both the Browning and High Standard are available with 7-1/4 inch barrel and if you get real lucky you might find a High Standard with the 10 inch barrel.
For steel, 9mm or .38 Super will do well and cost less to shoot than .40. I cast my vote in the 9mm category for Beretta 90-Two (which you cannot buy in Mass) or Beretta 92FS.
My favorite gun to shoot is my Kimber Custom Target II, but I don't shoot it for bullseye, yet. Unlike many who have posted here, I've put more than 2000 rounds down the pipe since I acquired it in Sept and not a single problem aside from a couple of limp-wrist stovepipes and a couple of failure-to-feeds out of a used mag with a tired spring.
Here's a tip if you're looking for a new/newer 1911. For guns with a firing pin block safety, you want a gun with the "Swartz" safety. It is deactivated by the grip safety rather than by the trigger, therefore it doesn't affect the trigger pull.

For bullseye, the longer the barrel the better. Both the Browning and High Standard are available with 7-1/4 inch barrel and if you get real lucky you might find a High Standard with the 10 inch barrel.

For iron sights the longer barrel gives you a longer sight radius which is a definite plus. If you're using a red dot it doesn't do you much, except maybe give you a little higher velocity.

Thanks for the advice. I have decided on the Ruger mk3 with the long barrel in stainless and the M&P 9mm (gonna take advantage of the rebate). The M&P fit my hands a bit better than the Sig and was a a bit cheaper too.

Thanks again...
Chris

Thanks for the advice. I have decided on the Ruger mk3 with the long barrel in stainless and the M&P 9mm (gonna take advantage of the rebate). The M&P fit my hands a bit better than the Sig and was a a bit cheaper too.

Thanks again...
Chris

Good choices.

Back
Top Bottom