New law for LEO's buying guns??

Is there a new law that went into effect within the past couple of weeks that says all LEOS can buy any gun they want with out permission from their chief?

I was told this at a gun store so we all know how accurate that can be, but have I missed something?

Is there a new law that went into effect within the past couple of weeks that says all LEOS can buy any gun they want with out permission from their chief?

I was told this at a gun store so we all know how accurate that can be, but have I missed something?

No. More gun shop bloviation. Let them believe what they want to believe, though, if it benefits you. [laugh]

If I had a dollar for every time a gun shop (especially in MA) made something up about the laws here, I wouldn't have to work full time anymore, let's put it that way. I just listen and go... 'Uh huh...." and smile and nod. That's about all you can do.

-Mike

No. More gun shop bloviation. Let them believe what they want to believe, though, if it benefits you. [laugh]

If I had a dollar for every time a gun shop (especially in MA) made something up about the laws here, I wouldn't have to work full time anymore, let's put it that way. I just listen and go... 'Uh huh...." and smile and nod. That's about all you can do.

-Mike

aint that the truth.

I figured as much!

Certain guns may be purchased by LEO's with only their ID. Others require letterhead from the Chief/Designee.

For example, Glock subcompact pistols may be ordered and purchased either directly through a distributor, or through a dealer. The officer must sign the order form stating he/she will not transfer said gun to another non-LEO, and that it is for official use. A credit card, and your police ID and LTC and your out the door.

I was somewhat surprised to hear from a Statie recently that the MSP will not give troopers letters to purchase non compliant guns

Having served on a PD (albeit part-time only) for 17 years in a past life, serving under 3 different chiefs, being an active person in town government and personal friends with my first chief, I have a lot more insight on the inner politics than most folks (including most FT LEOs that I have known . . . I could always speak my piece and never worry about my career/pension/chances for advancement). I also am still friends with a high-ranking officer in a very professionally run college PD and sometimes our discussions run around some of the inner machinations at that college campus.

So, based on my personal experiences the above statement does not surprise me in the least.

- NO law requires any such letters. [Some dealers/distributors "may require" such letters, some firearms experts may insist that it is a requirement, but it is NOT required per MGL.]
- If a LEO is allowed to carry the gun off-duty and wishes to do so, he/she meets the law wrt buying a gun that meets the EOPS List but is exempt from the AG's Regs. [There is NO exemption for LEOs in MGLs, but PDs/Agencies can order ANYTHING directly from mfr/distributor for Agency use. It's always been damn near impossible for a LEO to get an Agency to order something for an individual officer's use, have it billed to the Agency, etc. - this is strictly political and financial (since the Agency would have to pay the source directly).]
- LE admins are political animals and hate documenting things that could bite them in the rear with their bosses. the media, or put them under public scrutiny . . . even if said action is perfectly sensible and not illegal.
- The REAL head of MSP is the Secretary of Public Safety, a Patrick appointee who could be gone in a heartbeat if he doesn't toe Patrick's line. These are some of the same folks that are trying to write a CMR that would essentially stop all juniors programs, all matches and disallow any visitors from shooting at any gun club in MA w/o paying for a police detail and a lot of other BS that would cost said club a fortune to implement.

Certain guns may be purchased by LEO's with only their ID. Others require letterhead from the Chief/Designee.

For example, Glock subcompact pistols may be ordered and purchased either directly through a distributor, or through a dealer. The officer must sign the order form stating he/she will not transfer said gun to another non-LEO, and that it is for official use. A credit card, and your police ID and LTC and your out the door.

From the forms that I have seen that form is usually a Glock thing because they don't want LEO'S to sell the gun because it is usually sold at a discounted price.

- NO law requires any such letters. [Some dealers/distributors "may require" such letters, some firearms experts may insist that it is a requirement, but it is NOT required per MGL.]
- LE admins are political animals and hate documenting things that could bite them in the rear with their bosses. the media, or put them under public scrutiny . . . even if said action is perfectly sensible and not illegal.

+1 especially on the LEO admin issue

Back
Top Bottom