New knife ordinance for Worcester: 1/9/2009

I am screwed if I ever get stopped in Worcester.

All my wrenches have pointy ends on them. If I am not going to or from work, they can construe them as a weapon.

Oh, never mind, I am licensed to carry FIREARMS, so my pointy tools are ok.

I'm not suprised that it passed, I'm just suprised it passed 11 to 0. Does ANYONE think?

Surprised..! NO !
This is the city councel that didn't like how the Chief was doing things. They brught it up to him and he told they "I am the Police chief and I will do as I please! ! !"

Now doesn't he work for they??? A: YES
What did they do? A : NOTHING

So now you need an LTC for a knife??? Normally this stuff makes me mad. This time I think I'm just embarrassed living here. [rolleyes]

It's better that the exception is there rather than not. It's ridiculous that while I can carry a gun in Boston, I can't carry a 3" blade, as their law has no such exception.

Generally speaking I can usually see a reason behind something like this... but I cannot.

I do not see why there needs to be a fine or whatnot. If you are arresting someone and they have a knife which was used in the crime then you would slap them with Assault with a Deadly Weapon to wit a Pocketknife.

Otherwise they didn't use the weapon and therefore you have no reason to care about it as long as it is MA compliant.

It's better that the exception is there rather than not. It's ridiculous that while I can carry a gun in Boston, I can't carry a 3" blade, as their law has no such exception.

From that perspective you're absolutely right. Still, the fact that this ordinance even exists is embarrassing to say the least.

A 'Friend of Mine' who travels through Worcester on a fairly regular basis has probably unwittingly violated this ordinance dozens of times this year.

NM. Read it again and I still don't understand the law … thought it was a ban on any blade over 2.5 inches … I guess by making the laws so confusing nobody understands them is the best tool Mass has in packing the books with confusing useless laws.

Last edited:
Another example of the effectiveness of stinkhole Gemme's laws:

http://www.telegram.com/article/20090525/NEWS/905259995

WORCESTER — Three city men attacked last night inside a Columbia Street home by two men wielding a machete and hatchet have been released from city hospitals.

One of the suspects in the evening attack — David A. Yanis — remains in a hospital after he was stabbed during the fight.

According to police Sgt. Gary J. Quitadamo, a city woman arrived at a Columbia Street three-decker with a group of friends around 7 last night.

The woman, 19-year-old Brenda Lee Miranda-Yanis of 50 Catharine St., allegedly began arguing with one of the victims, with whom she had a “domestic relationship,” police said.

Sometime during the argument, one of the females with Ms. Miranda-Yanis went outside to a car and retrieved a machete and hatchet, the sergeant said.

Mr. Yanis, 32, of 1 Poplar St., allegedly stabbed a 30-year-old city man in the right hand and slashed a 24-year-old city man in the left thigh with the machete.

Police identified Javier Crespo, 23, of 720 Main St., as the man who allegedly attacked a 39-year-old city man with a hatchet and cut him across the left side of his face.

All of the suspects in the attack drove away from the home, and police arrived to find the three victims. The men were taken to city hospitals with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening and have since been released, Sgt. Quitadamo said.

A few minutes later, police tracked one of the suspect’s vehicles to the Irving gas station at 263 Grafton St. Mr. Yanis was there, along with the four other suspects. He had a stab wound and was taken to an area hospital. He was still in the hospital today, police said. The wound is not life-threatening.

Sgt. Quitadamo said Mr. Yanis first gave police a phony name, but police were able to determine his identity and through their investigation discovered Mr. Yanis, Mr. Crespo and three women were involved in the attack.

Mr. Yanis and Mr. Crespo were both charged with armed assault with intent to murder and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (machete and hatchet).

Also charged with the same crimes as joint ventures were Ms. Miranda-Yanis; Lorelane Laboy, 24, of 35 Vinton St.; and Patricia Vanasse, 41, of 25 Andover St.

I own a double bladed knife that is probably 6" in length. I bought it when I when I was told I was deployed for Desert Storm. It hung nice from my web gear back then.

Since getting my LTC I've been reading a lot about MA laws. I saw that it is illegal to carry it in MA. I never have carried it but I found it odd to see such a law.

It has been sitting in one of my toolboxes for +/- 15 years. Now I wonder if it is legal it even own it.

I own a double bladed knife that is probably 6" in length. I bought it when I when I was told I was deployed for Desert Storm. It hung nice from my web gear back then.

Since getting my LTC I've been reading a lot about MA laws. I saw that it is illegal to carry it in MA. I never have carried it but I found it odd to see such a law.

It has been sitting in one of my toolboxes for +/- 15 years. Now I wonder if it is legal it even own it.

Own, Yes
Carry, No

Wow....last I had heard, this hadn't passed.

I was out of country for part of Dec, all of Jan and most of Feb though.

Someone I know may or may not violate this on a very regular basis.

He just turned 21 and still needs to make an appointment and get his two letters of recommendation on business letterhead.

I arrived at my local PD 5 minutes before the licensing officer on my 21st birthday. [wink]

I arrived at my local PD 5 minutes before the licensing officer on my 21st birthday. [wink]

If my birthday hadnt been on a Sunday on a long weekend, I probably would have been too.

That and Worcester only takes applications Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom