New Hampshire Non Resident LTC

On the New Hampshire Non Resident LTC application it asks for "Resident State License Number." Is this my Massachusetts LTC number or are they asking for my state license plate number? I know I may sound stupid in asking but I want to make sure I have everything CORRECT. Thanks!

That's what I figured yet they could get that number from the copy on my MA LTC that they require me to submit with the application. Thanks.

Make sure you put the correct postage, mine was returned for 1 oz. over, really? I re-mailed it for an additional $ .21.

It's not an LTC. It's a permit to conceal carry pistols and revolvers.

You can carry a gun up here without a license.

So you mean I can cross over the border from MA to say Keene, NH in my pickup truck, with a MA LTC, and without a New Hampshire non-resident pistol license, toting my loaded Ruger SR9C in a hip holster on my belt and be perfectly legal even if a NH state police officer pulls me over and sees it?

So you mean I can cross over the border from MA to say Keene, NH in my pickup truck, with a MA LTC, and without a New Hampshire non-resident pistol license, toting my loaded Ruger SR9C in a hip holster on my belt and be perfectly legal even if a NH state police officer pulls me over and sees it?

No, you can't. You can walk across the border carrying with no license, but in a motor vehicle, you need a PRL.

This is a cute hypothetical.

NH is not MA. People here don't care if you have a gun unless you're pointing it at someone. We routinely walk around the Capitol with rifles slung, loaded and chambered. I OC pretty much exclusively everywhere including Keene, Manchester, Nashua, etc. I've never had a cop even talk to me.

Don't get me wrong. I hate Massachusetts gun laws. I'm originally a country boy from Pennsylvania that never had to go through what I am going through in MA. I would love to get the hell out of here but can't just yet. I just want to make sure I am legal as I do go into NH quite often and want to carry when I do. So I do need to complete a Non Resident Pistol/Revolver License Application and get the license to be legal in all situations...Yes??? Thanks all.

I'm not saying I never had one, because I did. I'm just pointing out that the only time you're going to need a P&R is if you shoot someone after drawing your gun out from concealment on camera.

Apart from that, you just don't need it. My 2cents as a guy who's been on both sides res/non-res.

Don't get me wrong. I hate Massachusetts gun laws. I'm originally a country boy from Pennsylvania that never had to go through what I am going through in MA. I would love to get the hell out of here but can't just yet. I just want to make sure I am legal as I do go into NH quite often and want to carry when I do. So I do need to complete a Non Resident Pistol/Revolver License Application and get the license to be legal in all situations...Yes??? Thanks all.

In NH, you don't need a license to open carry. However, if you want to carry concealed or carry in your car, then you need a NH P&R license to be in compliance with the law. Given how easy it is to get, I don't see a downside to obtaining one.

It's not an LTC. It's a permit to conceal carry pistols and revolvers.

You can carry a gun up here without a license.
As a proud member of the NES semantics SWAT team, I have to correct you: the applications for both resident and non-resident concealed-carry clearly state "Resident Pistol/Revolver License".

Permit/License: it's the same thing. You can't do it without that piece of paper.

This is a cute hypothetical.

NH is not MA. People here don't care if you have a gun unless you're pointing it at someone. We routinely walk around the Capitol with rifles slung, loaded and chambered. I OC pretty much exclusively everywhere including Keene, Manchester, Nashua, etc. I've never had a cop even talk to me.

I like to be armed when I'm driving a motor vehicle in NH. I like to conceal carry. I don't want you to know if I'm packing cuz it gives me the tactical advantage. I cannot see any downside to having a NH Non-Resident P/R License considering the relative ease in which they may be obtained. Point is if he is stopped and is carrying a loaded firearm in his vehicle without a P/R then there is probably going to be a problem.

I also wouldn't be so cavalier in dispensing free legal advice in advocating willfully ignoring NH gun laws by stating in an internet forum: "I'm just pointing out that the only time you're going to need a P&R is if you shoot someone after drawing your gun out from concealment on camera." You can speak for the NH Criminal Justice System? Where's your case law on this? Not one of your brighter posts Bubba Gump.

Last edited:
I like to be armed when I'm driving a motor vehicle in NH. I like to conceal carry. I don't want you to know if I'm packing cuz it gives me the tactical advantage. I cannot see any downside to having a NH Non-Resident P/R License considering the relative ease in which they may be obtained. Point is if he is stopped and is carrying a loaded firearm in his vehicle without a P/R then there is probably going to be a problem.

I also wouldn't be so cavalier in dispensing free legal advice in advocating willfully ignoring NH gun laws by stating in an internet forum: "I'm just pointing out that the only time you're going to need a P&R is if you shoot someone after drawing your gun out from concealment on camera." You can speak for the NH Criminal Justice System? Where's your case law on this? Not one of your brighter posts Bubba Gump.

I just want to point out that carrying a loaded and concealed handgun (or loaded and in a vehicle) without a license is only a misdemeanor B for the first offense. That's not even a jailable offense. For a second offense within 7 years, it becomes a class B felony.

The license has been easy to get in the past. However, we had a member here recently get denied for an 8-10 year old NH marijuana possession conviction even though he has a Mass LTC-A unrestricted. Sgt. Haggerty is looking to deny anyone over anything I believe.

If the con carry bill fails in committee (especially now that we know Hohenwarter is pulling shenanigans), I am going to make it a point to open carry everywhere in protest.

You can speak for the NH Criminal Justice System? Where's your case law on this? Not one of your brighter posts Bubba Gump.

I completely agree with you on this, which is why I have my P&R, but I will mention that during the Senate "full body" hearing, one of the Senators claimed that it was likely that if someone who was a law abiding citizen "accidentally concealed" a firearm and the police happened to notice, they'd probably just let it go. So, yeah, it'll be fine, you have it on good authority. /sarcasm

I just want to point out that carrying a loaded and concealed handgun (or loaded and in a vehicle) without a license is only a misdemeanor B for the first offense. That's not even a jailable offense. For a second offense within 7 years, it becomes a class B felony.

Not fun if someone gets busted, though, and there are a variety of different, innocuous ways it can happen with a loaded handgun in an MV.

-Mike

My main point was simply that a cop seeing you carrying a firearm in a car is NOT going to ask to see your license, he's not going to take your gun. I've been pulled over far more than once (I drive a ton, 60k per year) and I'm always OCing. I've never had a cop even mention my firearm in conversation, even when I was out of state plates. It just doesn't happen up here.

Frankly if you use a gun in defense and I'm on the jury you get of period. I don't give a rats ass what license you do or don't have.

Clearly what I'm giving is life advice, not legal advice. Law rarely makes sense.

My main point was simply that a cop seeing you carrying a firearm in a car is NOT going to ask to see your license, he's not going to take your gun. I've been pulled over far more than once (I drive a ton, 60k per year) and I'm always OCing. I've never had a cop even mention my firearm in conversation, even when I was out of state plates. It just doesn't happen up here. Frankly if you use a gun in defense and I'm on the jury you get of period. I don't give a rats ass what license you do or don't have. Clearly what I'm giving is life advice, not legal advice. Law rarely makes sense.

Look quit now Bubba Gump. You are generalizing. You are being anecdotal. You can't speak for all cops in NH.

You love having the last word on things and dominating threads, but when you are giving "life advice" thinly disguised as legal advice then you are on really thin ice.

Whether or not law makes sense is totally irrelevant. If you are willing to believe that every cop in NH is going to blissfully ignore the law then you must also believe that every chief is going to treat a P&R License as Shall Issue instead of May issue and we already know that's not true and we have at least one person who has an unrestricted Mass LTC who has been denied a non-res P&R. At best you are naive.

Comment removed...there are many people on here that knows more about this than me. Gotta save myself from looking like a idiot ;)

Last edited:
Permit or license. Distinction without a difference.

This. Whether you call it a "permit" or "license" is meaningless since it is criminal offense if I don't get the piece of paper.

I am still asking for permission no matter the term used. Further, in NH, the term license is a misnomer because there is only one class of license.

Not that it matters, but it's both a permit and a license. My NH NON RESIDENT states: Pistol/Revolver License, Permit #xxxxxx.

Back
Top Bottom