• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Hampshire non-resident LTC question?

Can I carry in North Carolina with a non-resident New Hampshire permit? I have found web sites that say I can…I have also found sites that say can’t.

***Update***

I have confirmed per a phone conversation with John Alderidge with the North Carolina Attorney General’s Office that North Carolina will honor a non-resident New Hampshire LTC. I have requested written confirmation. Upon receiving it I will post the letter.

nc_letter.jpg

Last edited:
Bingo!

ALWAYS go to the state's own website and check.

Lots of WRONG info on the web and/or laws can change, so the only definitive source is the state itself.

I highly recommend printing that page and highlighting it, carry it with you. Do NOT count on any patrol officer knowing what states' permits are accepted vs. those that aren't.

Try this page for where you can carry concealed: http://www.ncdoj.com/law_enforcement/cle_handguns_reciprocity.jsp and this page for reciprocity agreements: http://www.ncdoj.com/DocumentStreamerClient?directory=Publications&file=listofstates.pdf

In North Carolina, concealed handguns may not be carried:

* In law enforcement or correctional facilities such as a prison;
* In financial institutions such as a bank;
* In any space occupied by state or federal employees, including state and federal courthouses;
* In schools or on school grounds;
* In areas of assemblies, parades, funerals or demonstrations;
* In any place where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed (such as some restaurants);
* In any area where concealed handguns are prohibited by federal law;
* In any place of business that has posted a sign banning concealed weapons on its premises;
* By any person while consuming alcohol or while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substances (unless obtained legally and taken as directed by a physician).

To possess a concealed handgun in North Carolina, you must:

* Carry your permit and a valid form of identification with you at all times.
* Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina
* Inform the officer that you are in possession of a concealed handgun.
* Present both the permit and valid identification at the request of an officer
NOTE: You should not attempt to display either your weapon or your permit unless directed to by an officer.

"* Disclose the fact that you have a valid concealed handgun permit when you are approached or addressed by any law enforcement officer in North Carolina"

If I have a CWW and left the firearm properly secured at home, and I stop for directions from an LEO while enroute to a restaurant, the conversation should be "Hello Officer, I have a CWW but am not armed. Can you direct me to the local restaurant named ......?". Should I assume the "front leaning rest position" before or after I ask the question? [grin] [laugh]

Wow. Quite the fascists in North Carolina eh?

Yeah, really. I guess they'd prefer to see folks stopping in their cars to remove their guns before they do their banking... "Hello, 911 - there's a man outside the bank with a GUN!" "Yes, ma'am... they take off their guns outside. We don't want any bank robbers getting hurt in North Carolina!"

[rolleyes] [rolleyes]

I have posted my correspondence with the North Carolina AG office. I encourage anyone traveling to NC with a New Hampshire non-resident LTC to print it and bring it with you.

Looks like about all the permit is good for is driving through it. There are
so many delimiters and restrictions it makes their permit ball-less. The
restarunt thing is especially egregious.... so a CCW cant go and eat, even
if theyre not drinking? Bah. The legally binding signage thing is very
disturbing too, since from the verbiage on the page its not clear that
theres a requirement for the signage. (eg, Texas has binding signage too, but
in order for it to be applicable, it has to meet a standard... and most dont meet
the standard, because the signs have to be large, and in two languages, and
so obnoxious looking that most business owners dont want to post the legit
signs).

-Mike

That "no establishment that serves alcohol" prohibition (even for non-drinkers) is in several few states. Locally, Maine allows establishments licensed to serve alcohol to post their premises. I don't recall any specifications required for the signage.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom