• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Hampshire & Maine Permits

FYI...I applied for both a New Hamshire and Maine non-resident pistol permit. Received both the other day and both took less than three weeks from the day I sent in all the paperwork. Maine was a little more involved as for what they asked for but not bad.

Last edited:
FYI...I applied for both a New Hamshire and Maine non-resident pistol permit. Received both the other day and both took less than three weeks from the day I sent in all the paperwork. Maine was a little more involved as for what they asked for but not bad.

Maine sent you your permit within three weeks? Nice! Mine took about three months last year.

Yes Maine in less than three weeks. I was surely surprised since I read on this forum it could take months.

Yes Maine in less than three weeks. I was surely surprised since I read on this forum it could take months.

From talking with a few licensing departments over the years (specifically BATFE-on C&R FFL renewal, FL, NH and ME), I've come to 3 conclusions regarding why sometimes it takes multiple months:

1. Manpower - vacations and getting inundated with applications have a definite impact.
2. If they query your local (or state) police for info on your background, some chiefs will let these requests sit on their desks for weeks/months, delaying issuance by the out-of-state agency.
3. Running short on materials to create the licenses.

Personally I've run into all 3 of these over the years since 1999 when I obtained my first NR license from NH.

1. When I applied to ME, they were buried in applications, only one woman handled the NR licensing and she took a week's vacation around July 4th. I applied 3 months prior to vacationing in ME, was "approved" in June and still had to drive up to Augusta to pick it up at the end of July!
2. One of my C&R FFL renewals, I called and was told that the delay was lack of response to their query from my police chief. Now I know who to light a fire under when I'm up for renewal each time.
3. One of my NH renewals was delayed 2 or 3 weeks due to them running out of the plastic license material.

Just got my NH out of state permit in. It took about 3 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy to hear the NH turnaround, as I just sent mine out last week... I am, however, just reaching 8 weeks waiting on CT and was starting to wonder if my local PD might be sitting on things somehow. It sounds as if a couple phone calls might be in order, just to make sure CT isn't waiting on MA [hmmm]

Back
Top Bottom