"New" fly fishing tecnique: Tenkara

Well now. Just when I think I've seen it all I stumble across a new fly-fishing technique called 'Tenkara'.

This new system is stripped down to the most basic equipment. You have a fly-rod (anywhere between 9 and 14') a braided line, 5x tippet and fly all about the same length of the rod. There are no reels. You may but don't have to back cast relying more on flipping and rollcasting. To land a fish, you carefully pull the rod up and drag the fish toward you at the shore. It's extremely elegant and interesting. To see it in action, simply do a search for "Tenkara Fly Fishing" on youtube and you'll see it in action.

I, personally, am going to try this during the 2012 season and maybe get down to basics. Not much different than a kid with a stick and string but a bit more sophisticated for sure!

Anyone here try this yet??

Rome

I make fly rods, and I have been thinking about making one of these. It's basically how I fish anyway, when I am fishing close quarters and need to hit one spot again and again. I sometimes use a 2 weight six foot rod, when its close quarters, which is tons of fun. I caught a 16 inch brookie last year on that 2 weight and when I did it was like having a tuna on. The Japs also introduced Salmon Mooching. I make salmon mooching rods with 9 foot 6 weight fly rods. I don't use the mooching approach, but I love to use these rods and mooching reels to troll for Landlocks.

Certain areas in Boston, you will find Japanise people using this approach. I always thought they were just cheap as its usally a long bamboo shoot with a string on the end.

Looks cool but i just usually use an short ultralite rod and some light test line, achieves the same thing and its a little more compact. Honestly around western mass here you cant get into the really small streams with a 7,8,9 foot rod. Up in New Hampshire you can because you have these wide open rivers or hell out west and even vermont a regualr fly rod is fine. The fight on these ulta lites are very fun feels like your fighting a much larger fish. No floating line no roll casting no fly casting no fancy techniques.

SPAM ....... LOL.

I agree UL flyrod (4 wt and smaller) are a lot of fun. An 12" Smallmouth puts up a mean fight on a ligjt outfit. Even those big bluegills bring a smile to one's face.

Doubt I would ever buy something like that. I have more than enough stuff in my cellar, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom