New Durham NH permit procedures

I don't believe they can do this. The last line in the first paragraph.

[SIZE=+1]Pistol Permit Application:[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0] Pistol Permit applications can be mailed, dropped off or faxed to
the department. It can take up to two weeks to process the application.
Original applicants must have 3 references with good mailing
addresses. It is helpful to let people know they will be getting a letter,
using their name as a reference on the application. If we do not receive all
the letters back within the two week period, the application will be denied, and
you must submit a new application to start the process again.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]You will be notified by phone or by mail that your application has
been processed and approved. You may pick up and sign for your permit at the
Town Hall during regular business hours. The fee is $10.00 for a 4 year
permit. This is to be paid when you pick up your
permit.
[/SIZE]

That is correct. They cannot, and most probably do not. Might be an artifact no one thought to change.

I'm surprised you pay when you pick up your license. I'm also surprised they call it a "Pistol Permit," when the form clearly says "Pistol and Revolver License."

That is correct. They cannot, and most probably do not. Might be an artifact no one thought to change.

I'm surprised you pay when you pick up your license. I'm also surprised they call it a "Pistol Permit," when the form clearly says "Pistol and Revolver License."

Barrington wouldn't let me pay up front for my renewal, even with a check in hand. I could only pay when I picked up the license. Took 1 week for the renewal to be processed.

Barrington wouldn't let me pay up front for my renewal, even with a check in hand. I could only pay when I picked up the license. Took 1 week for the renewal to be processed.

Huh. Interesting. In my town, you pay when you submit your application (new or renewal), and then they hand-deliver the license to your door.

I've never pre-paid for my license either. It has ALWAYS been paid for when picked up at the selectman's office. Always been in 3 days or less.

My license was COD as well.

There is no statutory requirement that the listed references reply in any way, so a denial based on such would be easily overturned in court.

The law clearly states (and is quoted on the back of the application)-

Applicants not prohibited under federal or NH law from possession of a firearm shall be deemed suitable
persons and the license shall be issued unless the applicant is so prohibited from possessing a firearm. The
burden is on the licensing entity to prove by clear and convincing proof that the applicant is so prohibited
from possessing a firearm.

Licenses must be issued or denied within 14 days of application, and if denied, the reason shall be stated in
writing and delivered to the applicant within 14 days, with a copy kept by the denying authority. The
applicant may appeal a denial within 30 days to the District Court in the jurisdiction in which the person
resides, and the court shall hold a hearing within 14 days.

Licensing entities who withhold a license in violation of the law are liable for reasonable attorney’s fees and
costs incurred in any lawsuit to enforce the provisions of this chapter if the court finds the suit was
necessary in order to force compliance and the law was knowingly violated.

Last edited:
I guess I'll send them a friendly email pointing out the error. I sent an email to the Belmont, NH police for a similar error and they quickly changed it.

I would send an email pointing out the error to the state and/or GONH. The PD doesn't really care if the info is wrong. It may even be intentional. I would just submit the app, tell your references not to respond, and see what their next move is. If they reject you, bring it to the state.

May as well give this case to Penny Dean, why let Nappen have all the fun?

My town tried to phone all 3 references, then acted all annoyed when the only phone number they could find for the 3rd reference was a fax line. Not exactly a sterling endorsement of their detective skills!

Back on the topic of New Durham, I would give three references with addresses, and it would just so happen one of the 3 does not respond. When denied on that ground, you'd be pretty much guaranteed to win on appeal.

Last edited:
I don't think that either Evan or Penny are members here. At least they have never identified themselves as such.

I live in rochester (close to new durham) and I can tell you for sure that some of my references didn't respond because my buddy told me he was getting the letter out one day and I told him not to bother I already picked up my permit. I would do as others have said and make sure one of your listed references doesn't respond and see what happens. That way you can be sure to get that clause removed from their guidelines.

Back
Top Bottom