New Bedford USPSA 4/26/09

The Rod and Gun club of New Bedford will again be hosting USPSA sanctioned action shooting matches in 2009, the 4th Sunday of every month - April through October (and maybe November if the weather cooperates).

Directions to the club and range: http://rodgun-nb.org/directions.htm

Because of a great deal of new help, new RO's, and the generous offer of Rob C, we will have FIVE stages each match this year instead of four, and the match fee will remain the same as last year.

We have been working over the winter to improve the range facilities. We've added 6 new benches (with four more on order - Thanks Ward). We have secured another storage container. We will be erecting permanent cover on range one during next few weeks, and have plans for adding permanent covers on range 4 and 5 before the end of the year. I've been told the porta-jon will be placed nearer the entrance to the pistol ranges this year.

We will have a short shooters meeting at 9:20 am and first caps at 9:30 am sharp.

We hope to see all the regulars, and some new faces too. If you've always wanted to try USPSA action shooting, come on out. There are great people in this sport and new shooters are are always welcomed.

Last edited:
Match fee is $20. 150 rds is a safe minimum to bring, I usually bring 200 in case of reshoots. If your new to matches please check in with an RO and you'll get plenty of help.

Chuck,
Thanks for the reply. This will be my first uspca event. I have done a couple idpa event. My buddy (who is experienced) and I are planning to come down. I will def contact a RO for help.
Best,
Glockshooter

I can't wait. NB always puts on a great match. After a terrible performance at Manville last week I need to try and redeem myself. My group of first timers last week had so much fun they are coming back for more, and adding one to the group. See you all Sunday.

-Cuz.

I spent the day at the range yesterday doing some spring cleaning and we're ready to rock. The Porta-jon is near the entrance to the pistol ranges so no more long hikes to the head. The weather is supposed to be beautiful (unless you're shooting with Chuck Z - there's a chance of showers on his squad [wink]).

Note to new USPSA shooters:

Get to the range a little earlier than you think you should (we start at 9:30 and will have a shooters meeting at 9:20). This will give you plenty of time to find out how the range is set up, look at the stages before you shoot them, sign up and find the safe tables (this is where you holster and handle your unloaded firearm). You can not handle any ammo at the safe tables. It can be in your bag, even on your belt (although I don't advise that - too easy to touch a mag, speed loader, or moon clip - which would be a match DQ). If you are carrying ask Fred at the sign-in table (near the orange storage box) to show you where you can unload and make it safe. USPSA ranges are cold ranges. That means no loaded firearms in your possesion during the match unless under the direct supervision of a range officer (i.e. when you're actually shooting the course of fire).

It might be warm Sunday (it's so nice to say that again!) so make sure you bring plenty of your favorite non-alcoholic beverage!

Scott-

I am going to make it down with Johnny. This will be my first time at the N.B. club. I am looking forward to checking out the match you guys put on. Hopefully I shoot well! See you Sunday.

Good luck with running another stage! I won't make this month's match....gotta go play with cadets at West Point. 8 stages with 2 guns.

What a great match ScottB and the New Bedford crew put on today! Thanks for taking the time!

Respectfully,
jkelly

Last edited:
What a great match ScottB and the New Bedford cew put on today! Thanks for taking the time!

+1

I agree completely. The only thing that could have made the match better would have been the availability of some shade.

Who ordered August weather in April?

It was a great turnout today and it was great to see so many old friends and many new faces. Thanks to all that helped breakdown the stages after the match. We had all the gear secured and put away by 1:30. This is a huge help to us and is appreciated more than you know.

Thanks for all the nice comments after the match.

Thank you jkelly but the only thing I'll take credit for is cleaning up our storage unit Thursday, all the other work was shared equally by the following great people: DaveB(there in spirit), JayL, WardB, DaveC, DougB, LuckyM, RobC, SteveP, LoriD, NeilB, ChuckZ and his lovely bride MrsZ, and last but not least FredV. I'd also be remiss by not mentioning the Rod and Gun Club of New Bedford for providing our great venue.

DaveB will be doing the scores. He's just returned from vacation so the scores will be done ASAP.

Hope to see you all next month!

Next month Mike and I are going to host a clinic on how to clear death jams! We've become experts on this topic, unfortunately.

Stages looked good.

What were you throwing at the end of your first stage?

Looked like gun troubles...?

That was my mag. A empty case got caught in backwards, when I did the first mag change, it didn't clear, then the next mag wouldn't drop free, so I had to pull it out. unfortunately a mag had fallen out earlier in the stage, so I didn't have any ammo left.

I chamber checked each round before the match. Loading in them into the chamber, dropping the mag and slowly pull the slide back to see if the case held tight the the breachface. They all did. but it seem to still have the same issues. It can't be brass, since the same loads work in Renees gun, I have changed out aftec between the 2 guns and I still have the same issue. I changed the firing pin stop. no luck, tried Comp with no change, new mags. nothing. I think the extractor tunnel in out of spec

Next month Mike and I are going to host a clinic on how to clear death jams! We've become experts on this topic, unfortunately.

What you missed was the look on Mike's face when yours went down Pure Evil[shocked]

Great shooting with you all yesterday My venture into Limited weren't pretty but I think the revo will get lonely for the rest of this year. Time to learn all over again

Awesome job to everyone who put on the match. I didn't have my best day but I had a lot of fun!

On a side note - Any body else's arms look like lobster tails?

I honestly felt bad for Scott, I knew his pain all to well, but the comments coming from the peanut gallery were just to funny not to laugh. [grin]

Mine wasn't really a comment, more like an uncontrolable outburst of laughter. Not because I wanted to see it happen but I had just finished thinking, "Wow, Scott really kicked butt. The only chance I have would be if his gun completely pukes".

If you can't beat'em, put a curse on their gun.

Back
Top Bottom