New Anti Gun Legislation in Augusta LD985 and LD814

Two new bills which limit private firearms transfers have been introduced in Augusta. As I see it these are solutions to a problem that doesn't exist and simply make things harder for law-abiding citizens (but isn't that often the real aim of these things anyway?) The thing that really irks me personally about this legislation is that if I wanted to sell one of my guns to, say, my 72-year-old father I would have to have a NICS check done by a FFL!!! This is ridiculous! It only takes a couple of minutes to write to the folks listed below to let them know how you feel...

From the NRA:

Private Transfer of Firearms Under Attack in Augusta!
Please Contact the Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee!
Two anti-gun bills are pending action in the Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee.

LD985, introduced by State Senator Nancy Sullivan (D-4), requires that a federally licensed gun dealer facilitate all sales, transfers, and loans of firearms. Dealers could subject these transactions to a fee that cannot exceed $10.

LD814, sponsored by State Representative Anna Blodgett (D-56), requires that a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) check be performed by a federally licensed gun dealer prior to the sale or transfer of a firearm at a gun show. Under this bill, gun show promoters are responsible for any failure to perform the required background check and would be subject to a fine of up to $10,000 for each failure. LD814 also requires gun show operators to post signs notifying attendees of the background check requirement. Unlicensed sellers must be provided access to licensed dealers to undertake the required background checks.

Please contact the members of the Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to oppose LD985 and LD814. Contact information can be found below.

State Senator Stan Gerzofsky (D-10), Chair
(207) 287-1515
http://www.mainesenate.org/gerzofsky/email.htm

State Senator John M. Nutting (D-17)
(207) 287-1515
http://www.mainesenate.org/nutting/email.htm

State Senator Gerald M. Davis (R-11)
(207) 797-5309
[email protected]

State Representative Anne M. Haskell (D-117), Chair
(800) 423-2900
[email protected]

State Representative Stephen P. Hanley (D-59)
(800) 423-2900
[email protected]

State Representative Walter A. Wheeler, Sr. (D-151)
(800) 423-2900
[email protected]

State Representative James M. Schatz (D-37)
(800) 423-2900
[email protected]

State Representative Michel A. Lajoie (D-71)
(800) 423-2900
[email protected]

State Representative Veronica Magnan (D-41)
(800) 423-2900
[email protected]

State Representative Richard M. Sykes (R-98)
(800) 423-2900
[email protected]

State Representative Christian D. Greeley (R-22)
(800) 423-2900
[email protected]

State Representative Gary E. Plummer (R-111)
(800) 423-2900
[email protected]

State Representative David C. Burns (R-32)
(800) 423-2900
[email protected]

Last edited:
I e-mailed all the Representatives on the list. Steve Gerzofsky and Anne Haskell replied last week that they would be voting against it. I received no other replies - which I assume is not good news.

Good news on this...

The news I received last week was that the committee voted "Ought not pass" on these. My understanding is that this vote does not kill the bills, but certainly deals a huge blow to them. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom